1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 BMW X3 that has the following:
Bluetooth
Aux In-rear of console
(Prep) for Tech Package but no Sirus/Nav installed.
I do have the Bluetooth (TC) module in the rear.

Im wanting to install the best Ipod/IPhone 4 unit available, price considered. I have read about both of these but wanted to get input from everyone on here that has used these different units so I can make the best decision possible.

With my current factory installed equipment which direction should I go? It would be sweet to find out that there is a USB port on the back of the head unit but Im sure that is not the case!

Thanks,
Dogpile

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the USA-Spec on my 06 x3; I also have an iphone 4. With that said, I love the damn thing!!! (USA-SPEC). Not only can i listen to my iphone, change the tracks, and charge the phone at the same time, I can also listen to Pandora and change the Pandora songs through the steering wheel interface. Im not sure what the DICE module can do, but i can only speak on the USA-Spec and that product works for my particular situation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I tried to install my DICE module in my 2007 X3, but no success. I have the common "no sound" problem...

Do you know if the USA-Spec module is more reliable on this point vs the DICE?

·
BMW Enthusiast!
5,679 Posts
I had the Dice in my X3 2 years ago. Numerous issues, locked up. Most importantly, it would only control (when it worked) the iPod functions, not Pandora.

Sounds like I should check out USA Spec also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
More USA

The USA spec does not control Pandora from steering wheel. You hit the CD mode button for direct mode and you can play Wunderadio and Sirius and Pandora through car stereo, however you must change stations with iPhone. Did not want to mislead you. I've had mine for 6 plus months and it has worked flawlessly.

·
BMW Enthusiast!
5,679 Posts
The USA spec does not control Pandora from steering wheel. You hit the CD mode button for direct mode and you can play Wunderadio and Sirius and Pandora through car stereo, however you must change stations with iPhone. Did not want to mislead you. I've had mine for 6 plus months and it has worked flawlessly.
Then I will leave things as is. Not much benefit over my AUX cable.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, on USA SPEC's website they show that the last X3 that is compatible is the 2007. I emailed them to ask what the difference is in the 07 and 08 but they just told me that the 08 is not compatible???

Anybody tried installing on the 08 and up with success? If so what part number etc???

·
BMW Enthusiast!
5,679 Posts
So, on USA SPEC's website they show that the last X3 that is compatible is the 2007. I emailed them to ask what the difference is in the 07 and 08 but they just told me that the 08 is not compatible???

Anybody tried installing on the 08 and up with success? If so what part number etc???
2007 to 2010 should all be the same. Not sure why they said not compatible?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is my email I sent to them because their kits go up to but not past 2007. This is why I curious if anyone has installed USA SPEC on an 08-10?

My Email to them:

2008 BMW X3

It does NOT have Nav or Sirius but has ***8220;preparation***8221; for both. It was not sold with Bluetooth but had the TC box in the rear and I was able to enable it with no issue. It does have the sharkfin on top with antenna hookups for the Sirius box but there is no Sirius box. I believe that the ***8220;PREP***8221; means it is cabled for the Sirius and Nav but they are not installed.

In the rear of the console there is a Aux headphone connection but no USB.

What Im trying to find out is what unit do you have that will work with my X3? I would like to control the IPhone4 from the steering wheel controls and also play Pandora and Sirus via the phone.

Thanks,

Response from USA SPEC:

Unfortunately we do not offer a interface for the vehicle in question.
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
I dont want to start any controversy, but I CAN control the TRACK changes of the Pandora interface though my steering wheel. I have an Iphone 4 hooked up to my USA_SPEC and when I put the setting on the Aux mode, I can not only listen and change the tracks through the phone, I can also change the tracks through my steering wheel. Bluetooth function still goes uninterrupted. I have a 2006 x3, Satellite pre-wired.

Lastly, I had the "no sound" problem at first installation but upon trouble shooting the problem, I learned that i had to take off the Radio and switch the wires in the back.
( Plug the S-stars wire and take out the original). after doinch such, my "no sound" problem went away.

hope this helps to clarify things.

·
BMW Enthusiast!
5,679 Posts
I dont want to start any controversy, but I CAN control the TRACK changes of the Pandora interface though my steering wheel. I have an Iphone 4 hooked up to my USA_SPEC and when I put the setting on the Aux mode, I can not only listen and change the tracks through the phone, I can also change the tracks through my steering wheel. Bluetooth function still goes uninterrupted. I have a 2006 x3, Satellite pre-wired.

Lastly, I had the "no sound" problem at first installation but upon trouble shooting the problem, I learned that i had to take off the Radio and switch the wires in the back.
( Plug the S-stars wire and take out the original). after doinch such, my "no sound" problem went away.

hope this helps to clarify things.
Good to know.

Perhaps due to iPhone 3G versus iPhone 4 differences? I have both now.

I probably will just stick with my Magellan windshield mount. Charges iPhones, nice quiet AUX sound, ability to use iPhone for Navigation as well as phone, iPod, Pandora, Sirius etc. Bad thing is I have to change stations on iPhone.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, Im guessing no one has tried the USA_SPEC on the 2008+ models.... There must have been a change for USA-SPEC to tell me they dont support it????

·
Registered
2 Posts
USA Spec in a 2008 X3

So, Im guessing no one has tried the USA_SPEC on the 2008+ models.... There must have been a change for USA-SPEC to tell me they dont support it????
Hello, I drive a 2008 X3 and have recently install the USA spec iPod adapter without issue. I had previously installed the DICE iPod adapter because the USA spec said that it only worked with 2007 and earlier. After 3 months the DICE iPod updater stopped working. Thankfully I was able to return it for a full refund.

I should have gone with the USA spec iPod adapter from the start. I have used them on my other two vehicles (2006 Volvo S80 and 2000 Ford Ranger) for a few years now without a single issue. Even though USA spec says that it only works with 2007 and earlier I thought I would give it a try. Like someone said on this thread, there is no difference between 2007 and 2008. It works and was super easy to plug into the cd changer plug in the center console. I do not have the DSP radio.

This was the easiest install of my three vehicles (Volvo S80 was the hardest). Let me know if you have any questions as I just did this a week ago and it took me less then 5 minutes. Cheers.

-Patrick

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have the USA spec, I love that thing, best purchase I have made in years, charges my Ipod touch and Iphone 3Gs, displays the tracks properly, steering wheel controls work great....love it love it love it...AND it was very easy to install

1 - 17 of 17 Posts