BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after searching the threads both here and on Xoutpost, I have found one decent thread on the installation of a DICE unit on an 09 X3. Boinzo did a great job of how to install the DICE on his X3. Although he clearly outlined how to dissasemble the dash, his install seemed much different from mine.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393536&highlight=dice+x3

There were several vague posts about having to take the radio out for an 09 but after reading the install manual and asking a representative about where to install the DICE module, both referred me to the center console... about 10mins.

Issues;

Correct, less than 10 min to take out the tray and locate the 6 pin connector. There was no 3 pin connector though. I tried fishing around and all I found was a 6 pin connector clearly marked "CD".

So after reading some more post, I looked in the trunk. What do I find? Both a 6 pin and a 3 pin connector (along with a few others, but the 3 and 6 pin are easily identified).

Amazing, should be as simple as hooking it up right? That's what I thought. After disconnecting the batt, hookup and power up... nothing happens. In fact the nav screen stays shut, does not work or respond to the dash/radio console and the power locks stop working. The Ipod does not even charge. Wierd... I wonder what could be going on?

Maybe, I'll take a look at the radio like Boinzo points out and see what's going. After taking the radio out, this is what I find.

The CD plug is just sitting there and not plugged into the radio. Clearly, when I plugged in the DICE module the first time, it was not doing anything b/c it wasn't even plugged into the radio. Maybe this could explain why nothing was happening. There is clearly a slot for the plug, so I plug it in.

I go back to the trunk, remove the neg cable, hook it all up then power on. It should work now right?... :thumbdwn: Instead, the the nav screen comes up and is completely blank. It doesn't go down this time, but it still doesn't work. The Ipod still does not even charge. Nothing.

I'm at a loss here, b/c after trying all, that it still doesn't work. No help from the install manual b/c it doesn't seem to pertain to my X3. The whole center console thing doesn't seem to match up.

The best part about all of this is that I purchased this kit over a year ago prior to my deployment to Afghanistan. So it seems as though I'm now out the $200 this thing cost me. I think the only thing I can be grateful for is that I didn't take this to a dealership that would've had no problem charging me an insane amount of money to pretty much find out the same thing.

At this point, I'm looking for some help. Am I doing something wrong? Is my X3 not compatible with the DICE module that I purchased? Do I have to purchase another unit? I will put the details down again and maybe someone could assist me with this. In the future, maybe someone in my shoes will be able to look at this.

I own a;
2009 X3 Sport
Navigation
DSP
NO sirius/satellite
NO 6 disc changer

DICE Module;
Silverlin Pro I-BMW-T/5V
DSP Adapter (may not be needed)

· Registered
130 Posts
You need to determine what the DICE module will work with. When I was investigating getting one for our 2005 330 zhp I read many stories like yours. I can't remember the details but there were compatibility issues either with vehicles that were too old and/or too new. I would get DICE to tell you whether the unit you want to install is known to work with your X3 build date. Based on everything I heard about hit or miss results with DICE and the lame kit that BMW sells, I simply suck with the BMW AUX in kit for our zhp. It doesn't charge and you have to select music from the iPod - but at least is works reliably. Since you already have an AUX in - you're good to go.

· BMW Enthusiast!
5,717 Posts
I had issues with my Dice on my 2007. Returned and use a Magellan windshield mount instead. Charges phone and connects to AUX plug. Works great and accepts some phones with cases.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would get DICE to tell you whether the unit you want to install is known to work with your X3 build date. Based on everything I heard about hit or miss results with DICE and the lame kit that BMW sells, I simply suck with the BMW AUX in kit for our zhp. It doesn't charge and you have to select music from the iPod - but at least is works reliably. Since you already have an AUX in - you're good to go.
I've contacted DICE, and I'm waiting for a response... hopefully I'll get one.

The AUX is what we've been using, but it would be nice to charge the Ipod and get better sound quality. The install portion was very quick, but it would've been nice if the module worked in the first place.

Oh yeah, my airbag light has been on for the past 3 days. I'll disconnect the batt for about 5 and see if that works. Anyone have any suggestions?

· Registered
262 Posts
I've contacted DICE, and I'm waiting for a response... hopefully I'll get one.

The AUX is what we've been using, but it would be nice to charge the Ipod and get better sound quality. The install portion was very quick, but it would've been nice if the module worked in the first place.

Oh yeah, my airbag light has been on for the past 3 days. I'll disconnect the batt for about 5 and see if that works. Anyone have any suggestions?
take it to the dealer

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am stationed overseas. I'm in Germany which is great, but unfortunately German BMW dealerships/service centers only honor a 2yr warranty vs the 4yr USA warranty. So the warranty is out the window. (July 2011)

Haven't had a chance to disconnect the cable yet, but worst comes to worst... yeah, I'll fork out the money for a German BMW dealership to completely bend me over. :(

I'm really looking to see if anyone has any info/remedies for this, b/c I hear it is a common problem for seatbelt lights to get triggered from this install. I may even need to take a look at the fuse box.

· BMW Enthusiast!
5,717 Posts
I hear it is a common problem for seatbelt lights to get triggered from this install. I may even need to take a look at the fuse box.
I did not have any warning lights when installing my Dice. Just issues with the Dice unit itself.

· Registered
1 Posts
I'm new on this particular forum but not new to BMWs since I've owned 11 of them over the years. I just purchased a 2008 E83 X3 3.0Si for my wife and have been doing all kinds of research in order to add iPod/iPhone connection as well as Sirius Sat. I ended up buying the DICE DUO-100-BMW along with the Sirius SCC1 Sat receiver. Have not received them yet but found some links that might be helpful:

http://msbcreations.com/stuff/Dice_Installation_Manual.pdf

http://www.msbcreations.com/stuff/X3_SIRIUS_Install_w_Nav.pdf

http://www.siriusretail.com/pdf/manuals/scc1_installation_guide.pdf

http://youtu.be/l_DDmB2nxKI

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.