BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a brief encounter with the 200 mark earlier this week, I decided to see where the governor is on my car. Empty highway, 12:45 AM. At around 5750 in 5th, my car hit an indicated 220km/h (maybe just a bit higher) when the fuel shut off. Seeing as how the specified speed for the system is 206km/h, I'm speculating that my speedometer is 6.796% optimistic, which if true is quite high.

BTW, I still don't see how anyone could use more power than what a 323 has for street use...:yikes:

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
DAMN! That is pretty fast ... I have to wait for track day in September to try to break the 200km/h barrier. I did hit 160km/h last week, almost by accident. After 120, I didn't even notice when I was past 150.

Strangely, at 150km/h on a flat road, the economy meter showed that I was consuming 9 liters/100km. Even at speed, I can't waste fuel! :D

Patrick

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
Man... where were you when you did that? I never drive fast at night... too hard to see 'bogies'.

I've never been over 200kph on Toronto roads even in my Talon. I think the fastest my E46 has seen is 180.

More power gets you there quicker!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JPinTO said:
Man... where were you when you did that? I never drive fast at night... too hard to see 'bogies'.

I've never been over 200kph on Toronto roads even in my Talon. I think the fastest my E46 has seen is 180.

More power gets you there quicker!
401 Eastbound, Neilson exit to the Meadowvale exit. I came to a full stop on the ramp, letting any traffic ahead of me get a good lead. Launched hard, ran to 6250RPM in almost every gear (flirting with the redline in 5th is fun :D ). I hit the speed between these 2 exits, which in case you didn't know are probably like 2-3km's apart. There is only one exit between them, Morningside.

My logic is that even if a cop caught me anywhere north of 100, I'd be accelerating so hard and exiting so quickly and at such a speed that he would never have a chance to catch a glimpse of even the plates. BTW, at around 175 there was an interesting "drop" in the road which sent the car airbourne for a moment. These highways are definately NOT made to be travelled above 120 on. The car feels great at 220 indicated, in case you wanted to know. :angel:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts