BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:tsk: I just bought a 528i with 200,000 miles. For 2,000$ bucks and I want to know if I got a good deal

Cons: back windows aren't rolling down. I think it's the regulators but how can I find out ?

No fog lights and bumper is a little loose. Missing a screw.

Driver side headlight lens has crack

Sun roof opens and closes fine but right when it's almost closed I have to press down on the thing that seals the window. Can someone tell me how to fix this ?

Couple dings here and there.

And the cover for the radiator has a small crack.

Salvaged title. Car was parked and got rear endded on front fender

Pros: new alternator , new key, new battery

Re painted.

Interior is in pretty good shape.

Everything else is good.

So was this a good deal for 2,000$?
Is there a potential re sale value?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well it depends on your definition of "good". Are you looking to fix it up and make it a daily driver or are you trying to flip it. For a DD it can be made serviceable for a little money and DIY effort but to flip it, no way Rene. With a salvage title and that mileage, you're probably the last owner of this car. Let's look at the upside first. This sounds like a Craigslist kind of car so $2k was about right and 200k on the clock is not a big deal IF the proper maintenance was done but you might not know that. For this price and this mileage you expect some problems such as the back window regulators (about $180 per for the parts). The fog lights, sunroof and dings are no big deal, just replace them and fix them as you go along. We're going to have to assume that the car has had a degree of neglect to this point which means you're going to need to attend to the brakes, belts, hoses, suspension, and fluids. In any case, don't let your emotions get involved or it CAN turn into a money pit. Think of it this way, do the safety related items first, take care of the performance stuff next (tune up) and then get down to the naggy little things like headlight crack and rear windows. the 528i that year had a cast iron block which is known for it's longevity, so if the engine is okay and the tranny works you can fix the other problems one at a time. If either of these are bad you're in a hole, time to stop digging and cut your losses.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts