BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. Long story but I will try to keep it short.

I will start off by saying
1. I'm in Canada
2. The car in question is my 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si with Sports Package and Premium Package

It all started when I brought in my car for oil change at the dealership and they told me I had busted rear coil spring. They wanted 1300 CAD for it (replacement cost + alignment) so I decided to do a bit of research and hopefully get it done elsewhere for cheaper.

In my research I found that I could do this myself really easily. I did also discover that the coil spring on a sports packaged car is different than one without the package. I could not source the springs anywhere (no shipping to Canada, no stock, etc) so I had to buy them from the dealership. I told the Parts guy there that I had the sports package and he said he will just order the parts based on my VIN.

Got the springs, put them on, all was good until I looked at the receipt for the springs more closely. He had given me the Non Sports Package springs. I checked out my VIN online and found that it did not include anything about Sports Suspension. I scoured the web trying to figure out what exactly "Sports Package" comes with and it all points to it having Sports Suspension springs. Unrelated, I also found that the "Premium Package" meant I should have Auto Climate Control, which I do not have. I have "Hot Climate" edition which is stupid because I'm in Canada... :confused:

I went to the dealership with all my info printed out and talked to the manager there. I was given the run around and they could not give me an answer and told me they had to contact BMW Canada. I decided to contact BMW Canada as well that night via email. All this was 2 weeks ago and I went back yesterday to see what was up. I got the same response from the manager and pretty much got shoo'd away. No response from BMW Canada either :mad:

At this point I might consider threatening legal action (if this is even a good idea?) to expedite the process.

Does anyone here know if
1. If I should have the sports suspension springs?
2. If I should have the Auto Climate Control?
3. Tips on how I should proceed with this situation?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
A VIN look-up will show how the car was equipped when it left the factory. When you bought it did your dealer give you a printout of how your car was equipped or did they just tell you? If you have a document that says you have these options but don't you have a case but if the salesperson just said it was equipped as so then it will be harder to get a resolution. The Premium Package does include "Auto Climate Control". Are the wheels on your car "staggered", rears being wider than the fronts? Do you have a "Sport" button on the center console just ahead of and slightly to the left of the shifter? Both of these are features of a car with the "Sports Package".

·
Registered
804 Posts
If they ordered the parts via VIN, then most likely you got the correct parts. Who told you your car had Sports and Premium package? Here's how they came equipped. Not sure if Canada is different.

Body Styles, Trim Levels, and Options

The 2008 BMW Z4 is available as a two-seat roadster or coupe. The roadster has a traditional, manually operated convertible soft top with a defroster-equipped glass rear window. Two trim levels, 3.0i and 3.0si, are available. The 3.0i (roadster only) comes with 17-inch alloy wheels, rain-sensing wipers with heated wiper jets, heated outside mirrors, full power accessories, manually operated six-way adjustable seats, vinyl "leatherette" upholstery, a tilt-telescoping steering wheel and a 10-speaker audio system with a CD player and auxiliary audio jack. The 3.0si version adds leather upholstery, a center armrest, aluminum interior trim, a premium audio system, a trip computer and automatic climate control. Most of these features are available on the 3.0i as options.

The optional Premium Package includes a one-touch power operation feature for the convertible's top, auto-dimming mirrors, xenon headlights, power seats, memory for the driver seat and Bluetooth. Other options for the BMW Z4 include sport seats, heated seats, upgraded leather upholstery, a navigation system, satellite radio and HD radio. The Sport Package includes upgraded wheels and tires, a sport-tuned suspension and BMW's Dynamic Driving Control feature that quickens throttle response and reduces power-steering assist.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
A VIN look-up will show how the car was equipped when it left the factory. When you bought it did your dealer give you a printout of how your car was equipped or did they just tell you? If you have a document that says you have these options but don't you have a case but if the salesperson just said it was equipped as so then it will be harder to get a resolution. The Premium Package does include "Auto Climate Control". Are the wheels on your car "staggered", rears being wider than the fronts? Do you have a "Sport" button on the center console just ahead of and slightly to the left of the shifter? Both of these are features of a car with the "Sports Package".
I do not have a print out of specifics from the dealership when I bought it. All I have is the original bill of sale which does includes the following items
  • Sports Package
  • Premium Package
  • Six Speed Automatic
  • ACOD ACC DESC #1
  • ACOD ACC DESC #2
  • ACOD ACC DESC #3
  • ACOD ACC DESC #25

Unfortunately it does not expand on what those packages include. I have no idea what those "Acc Desc" are but going to guess a couple of those are the Automatic Soft Top, Heated Seats, and M Sports Seats as my car has those. My car has staggered wheels (first time l learned this was a thing when I needed to get new tires) and the Sports button.

I did find the online brochure for my car on the BMW USA website and it all points to my items in question being included in those packages. I could not find the brochure on BMW Canada unfortunately .

Here is the online brochure from BMW USA: http://resource.bmwusa.com/pdf_6e75838b-7809-4282-8018-97577293eabd.arox

If they ordered the parts via VIN, then most likely you got the correct parts. Who told you your car had Sports and Premium package? Here's how they came equipped. Not sure if Canada is different.

Body Styles, Trim Levels, and Options

The 2008 BMW Z4 is available as a two-seat roadster or coupe. The roadster has a traditional, manually operated convertible soft top with a defroster-equipped glass rear window. Two trim levels, 3.0i and 3.0si, are available. The 3.0i (roadster only) comes with 17-inch alloy wheels, rain-sensing wipers with heated wiper jets, heated outside mirrors, full power accessories, manually operated six-way adjustable seats, vinyl "leatherette" upholstery, a tilt-telescoping steering wheel and a 10-speaker audio system with a CD player and auxiliary audio jack. The 3.0si version adds leather upholstery, a center armrest, aluminum interior trim, a premium audio system, a trip computer and automatic climate control. Most of these features are available on the 3.0i as options.

The optional Premium Package includes a one-touch power operation feature for the convertible's top, auto-dimming mirrors, xenon headlights, power seats, memory for the driver seat and Bluetooth. Other options for the BMW Z4 include sport seats, heated seats, upgraded leather upholstery, a navigation system, satellite radio and HD radio. The Sport Package includes upgraded wheels and tires, a sport-tuned suspension and BMW's Dynamic Driving Control feature that quickens throttle response and reduces power-steering assist.
I have the bill of sale which states the packages I purchased with the car. Both the Sports Package and Premium Package are on there along with their associated costs. As mentioned in the reply above to George, it did not have a break down of what these packages would come with. I am only going by what I saw online and the BMW USA brochure. Your list pretty much confirms what I have seen online and more. I can confidently say that I am missing the following:

• Auto Climate Control
  • Sports Tuned Suspension
  • Auto Dimming Mirrors. I have to manual twist a knob thing beneath the rear mirror to activate it
  • Bluetooth functionality

·
Registered
12,764 Posts
Go to this website and enter the last 7 digits of your VIN. When you click on VIN Decode you can scroll down and see the actual options/accessories installed in your car and the codes for them. If you have any questions on it post the list and we can help you with it.
The dealer should be able to pull up the same info by VIN for your car on their service system.

http://tinyurl.com/hkxxkm4

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go to this website and enter the last 7 digits of your VIN. When you click on VIN Decode you can scroll down and see the actual options/accessories installed in your car and the codes for them. If you have any questions on it post the list and we can help you with it.
The dealer should be able to pull up the same info by VIN for your car on their service system.

http://tinyurl.com/hkxxkm4
I had done the VIN check previously to determine what I had and did not notice anything pertaining to "Auto Climate Control" or "Sports Suspension". I am new to all this so perhaps I am not looking at it right.

Here is what I have:

========================================
Vehicle information
========================================
VIN: 4USBU53578LX04864
Type code: BU53
Model: Z4 3.0SI (USA)
E-F-R series: E85
Series: Z
Type: ROADST
Steering: LL
Doors: 2
Engine: N52
Displacement: 3.00
Power: 190 (258 hp)
Drive: HECK
Transmission: AUT
Paint code: 354 - TITANSILBER METALLIC
Upholstery code: LASW - LEDER OREGON/SCH
Prod.date: 2008-04-08
S1CA SELECTION COP RELEVANT VEHICLES
S2R8 BMW LA wheel, start spoke 241
S4AD Interior trim strips, brushed aluminium
S5GA Preparation alarm system
S8SP Control unit COP
S205 Automatic transmission
S224 Driving dynamic control
S249 Multifunction f steering wheel
S255 Sports leather steering wheel
S354 Green windscreen, green shade band
S380 Hardtop-preparation
S399 Softtop, electromech. all-autom.
S441 Smoker package
S459 El. front seat adjustment w. memory
S470 Isofix-System
S493 Storage compartment package
S494 Seat heating driver/passenger
S520 Fog lights
S521 Rain sensor
S522 Xenon Light
S530 Air conditioning
S540 Cruise control
S548 Kilometre speedo
S550 On-board computer
S640 Preparation f tel.installation universal
S645 BMW US Radio
S662 Radio BMW Business CD
S676 HiFi speaker system
S692 Preparation, BMW 6-CD changer I-bus
S711 M Sports seats
S785 White direction indicator lights
S823 Hot-climate version
L838 NATIONAL VERSION CANADA
S845 Acoustic fasten seat belt reminder
S853 Language version, English
S876 Radio frequency 315 MHz
S896 Daytime driving lights

My main concern boils down to whether or not I got all that I paid for. Everything I see online about the packages I bought points to it car coming with sports suspension and auto climate control. Additionally, based on BostonB6's list above, I should also have the Bluetooth and Auto Dimming Mirrors. None of which I have in my car.

·
Registered
12,764 Posts
You did not get the M Sport suspension which is option code S704. Looks like what they referred to as the "Sport Package" was the Sport Steering Wheel and the M Sport Seats.

Here's the listing for my car which is a 3.0si which DOES have the M Sport Suspension. Wish mine had your seats too, the standard seats have very little lateral support. :(

Model: Z4 3.0SI (USA)
E-F-R series: E85
Series: Z
Type: ROADST
Steering: LL
Doors: 2
Engine: N52
Displacement: 3.00
Power: 190 (258 hp)
Drive: HECK
Transmission: MECH
Paint code: 354 - TITANSILBER METALLIC
Upholstery code: LASW - LEDER OREGON/SCH
Prod.date: 2006-05-11
S8SP Control unit COP
S350 BMW Composite wheel, star spoke 108
S389 Softtop, grey
S399 Softtop, electromech. all-autom.
S430 Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
S441 Smoker package
S470 Isofix-System
S520 Fog lights
S521 Rain sensor
S522 Xenon Light
S534 Automatic air conditioning
S540 Cruise control
S550 On-board computer
S639 Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USA/CDN
S645 BMW US Radio
S677 HiFi system Professional DSP
S704 M Sports suspension
S785 White direction indicator lights
S823 Hot-climate version

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see... So to confirm then, my cars Sports Package was never intended to include the Sports Suspension? It would be an extra option I would pay for? Everything I found online contradicts this so I just want to make sure.

I also noticed the S534 option on your list that I assume is the Auto Climate Control that came with a premium package? Mine is definitely missing this unless of course, just like the suspension, it was never a part of the package I bought?

I appreciate the information you are providing. I can't believe the dealership isn't willing to help me at all...

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't have a CA brochure but I've attached an image of the 2007 US brochure.

Solid circle = standard equipment
Open circle = optional equipment
Square = included in Sport Package
Diamond = included in Premium Package

I believe my car has both packages. Here is my printout. I also have M Sport seats, they did not come with the car but rather from eBay. They're sitting in my shop awaiting installation :)

S2R3 BMW LA wheel, star spoke 203
S2VB Tyre pressure control (TPC)
S8SP Control unit COP
S345 Chrome Line Interieur
S430 Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
S441 Smoker package
S470 Isofix-System
S494 Seat heating driver/passenger
S520 Fog lights
S521 Rain sensor
S522 Xenon Light
S534 Automatic air conditioning
S540 Cruise control
S550 On-board computer
S639 Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USA/CDN
S645 BMW US Radio
S677 HiFi system Professional DSP
S704 M Sports suspension
S823 Hot-climate version

Attachments

·
Registered
12,764 Posts
I see... So to confirm then, my cars Sports Package was never intended to include the Sports Suspension? It would be an extra option I would pay for? Everything I found online contradicts this so I just want to make sure.

I also noticed the S534 option on your list that I assume is the Auto Climate Control that came with a premium package? Mine is definitely missing this unless of course, just like the suspension, it was never a part of the package I bought?

I appreciate the information you are providing. I can't believe the dealership isn't willing to help me at all...
I'm just speculating that there's a difference between what they call the "Sports Package" and having the M Sport Suspension option. BMW has done things like that before. On the E36 hard tops (coupe & sedan) the sport package got you the sport seats, the M sport suspension, and 16" wheels. On the E36 cabrio they split it up and the sport package got you the seats and the wheels but not the suspension, that was a separate option.

·
Registered
250 Posts
BMW sold different accessory packages and base configurations in different markets. In Canada, for example, the roadsters were all equipped with the hardtop attachment prep (S380). Two major accessory packages for Canada were the 'Sports' package and the 'Premium' package. I believe the Sports package here included the 'M' sports seats (S711), dynamic driving control ('Sports' button/S224), and 2-piece 108 style wheels with staggered 18" tires (S350). I don't believe different suspension was a part of the package. Regardless, your option list doesn't include the 108's, so I expect what you do have was ordered individually. I recently changed my OEM factory runflats for Michelin PSS tires, and certainly have no complaints in the suspension/handling department.

The 'Premium' package in Canada included the automatic climate control (useless in my opinion for a two seat roadster), Bluetooth Telephony, wind screen, auto-dimming mirrors and power folding outside mirrors (and possibly more). I don't have that package, and it doesn't look like you do either.

I have no interest in the auto dimming and folding mirrors, but did want the wind screen and Bluetooth phone capability. I purchased the OEM BMW parts for the windscreen and installed those, and added aftermarket parts for the Bluetooth telephony that gives me much better capability than OEM, including access to IOS/Siri via the steering wheel phone button.

Sounds like nobody is trying to pull one over on you, but you may have taken a big hit on your parts pricing - I've never found parts at the local BMW dealer to be anywhere near reasonable. You might want to update your profile to something less generic than 'Canada' so people know where you are. U.S. based suppliers like Tischer will ship to border shipping outlets, and the savings can make it more than worthwhile to drive down to pick them up (if you're not in Yellowknife or similar).

Enjoy the car! :thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BMW sold different accessory packages and base configurations in different markets. In Canada, for example, the roadsters were all equipped with the hardtop attachment prep (S380). Two major accessory packages for Canada were the 'Sports' package and the 'Premium' package. I believe the Sports package here included the 'M' sports seats (S711), dynamic driving control ('Sports' button/S224), and 2-piece 108 style wheels with staggered 18" tires (S350). I don't believe different suspension was a part of the package. Regardless, your option list doesn't include the 108's, so I expect what you do have was ordered individually. I recently changed my OEM factory runflats for Michelin PSS tires, and certainly have no complaints in the suspension/handling department.

The 'Premium' package in Canada included the automatic climate control (useless in my opinion for a two seat roadster), Bluetooth Telephony, wind screen, auto-dimming mirrors and power folding outside mirrors (and possibly more). I don't have that package, and it doesn't look like you do either.

I have no interest in the auto dimming and folding mirrors, but did want the wind screen and Bluetooth phone capability. I purchased the OEM BMW parts for the windscreen and installed those, and added aftermarket parts for the Bluetooth telephony that gives me much better capability than OEM, including access to IOS/Siri via the steering wheel phone button.

Sounds like nobody is trying to pull one over on you, but you may have taken a big hit on your parts pricing - I've never found parts at the local BMW dealer to be anywhere near reasonable. You might want to update your profile to something less generic than 'Canada' so people know where you are. U.S. based suppliers like Tischer will ship to border shipping outlets, and the savings can make it more than worthwhile to drive down to pick them up (if you're not in Yellowknife or similar).

Enjoy the car! :thumbup:
Thank you for the information. It is nice to see a fellow Calgarian on the boards :D I will edit my profile to be a bit more location specific.

Based on what you explained, I feel more at ease about the Suspension not coming with the Sports Package. However you say that my car did not look like it came with Premium Package and that bothers me because I did purchase it. It is right on the bill of sale (for ~$2100 I think. I don't have the papers in front of me right now). Maybe I have an argument there with the dealership?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thank you for the information. It is nice to see a fellow Calgarian on the boards :D I will edit my profile to be a bit more location specific.

Based on what you explained, I feel more at ease about the Suspension not coming with the Sports Package. However you say that my car did not look like it came with Premium Package and that bothers me because I did purchase it. It is right on the bill of sale (for ~$2100 I think. I don't have the papers in front of me right now). Maybe I have an argument there with the dealership?
I looked in my Z4 files and found the dealer listing for the other car I was looking at when I purchased mine - both were 'Certified' used, but that car had both the sport package and the premium package. According to that listing (from BMW Canada's own Inventory Search) the two packages contained the following:

Premium Package: Power fold mirrors, Wind Deflector, Auto Dimming Mirror, Electric Seats with Driver Mem, Automatic Climate Control, Hifi Sound System with DSP.
Sport Package: Dynamic Driving Control, 18" Bolted Alloy Wh, M Sport Seats.

I was likely in error about the Bluetooth phone being part of the Canadian Premium package - either way, it would have been listed on the option sheet if you had it. Pretty sure that the telephony 'prep' (wiring) was standard on all cars. Other than the electric seat adjustment, I don't see anything else from the premium package in your list - you might want to check exactly what is shown on your paperwork. I don't suppose you happened to keep the Canadian brochure by any chance, to verify the package contents for that year?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked in my Z4 files and found the dealer listing for the other car I was looking at when I purchased mine - both were 'Certified' used, but that car had both the sport package and the premium package. According to that listing (from BMW Canada's own Inventory Search) the two packages contained the following:

Premium Package: Power fold mirrors, Wind Deflector, Auto Dimming Mirror, Electric Seats with Driver Mem, Automatic Climate Control, Hifi Sound System with DSP.
Sport Package: Dynamic Driving Control, 18" Bolted Alloy Wh, M Sport Seats.

I was likely in error about the Bluetooth phone being part of the Canadian Premium package - either way, it would have been listed on the option sheet if you had it. Pretty sure that the telephony 'prep' (wiring) was standard on all cars. Other than the electric seat adjustment, I don't see anything else from the premium package in your list - you might want to check exactly what is shown on your paperwork. I don't suppose you happened to keep the Canadian brochure by any chance, to verify the package contents for that year?
I do not have the Canadian brochure unfortunately :tsk:
All my bill of sale has is

ZFJ Sports Package
ZFG Premium Package
205 Six Speed Automatic
ACOD ACC DESC #1
ACOD ACC DESC #2
ACOD ACC DESC #3
ACOD2 ACC DESC #25

Plus the usual tax, PDI and freight stuff.

I have no idea what the Acc Desc are. You'd have a way better chance at deciphering that than I do. I will be :mad: if I find out I paid $3000 (exactly that price on my bill of sale for the Premium Package) just for Electric Seats...

·
Registered
250 Posts
... I have no idea what the Acc Desc are. You'd have a way better chance at deciphering that than I do. I will be :mad: if I find out I paid $3000 (exactly that price on my bill of sale for the Premium Package) just for Electric Seats...
I've never seen a 'ACOD ACC' line item before, and can't find any reference to it and BMW orders online. I hope that it isn't an acronym for something like 'Additional Cost Option Delete', to indicate an 'purchaser requested' deletion of some of the items in the package that you paid for. :(

I take it you ordered the style 241 wheels as an option, which would have replaced the style 108 wheels in the SI sport package. You don't see a lot of SI's with 241's, which are these:

Style 241 Wheel

.. and these are the style 108 that were standard for the SI sport package:

Style 108 Wheel

Did you order the 241 wheels, and is that what you received on your car?

Regardless of the wheels, I'd definitely talk with the dealer you purchased from to find out what the story is on the Premium package. It's been a while, but good luck, and please let us know what you find out ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I've never seen a 'ACOD ACC' line item before, and can't find any reference to it and BMW orders online. I hope that it isn't an acronym for something like 'Additional Cost Option Delete', to indicate an 'purchaser requested' deletion of some of the items in the package that you paid for. :(

I take it you ordered the style 241 wheels as an option, which would have replaced the style 108 wheels in the SI sport package. You don't see a lot of SI's with 241's, which are these:

Style 241 Wheel

.. and these are the style 108 that were standard for the SI sport package:

Style 108 Wheel

Did you order the 241 wheels, and is that what you received on your car?

Regardless of the wheels, I'd definitely talk with the dealer you purchased from to find out what the story is on the Premium package. It's been a while, but good luck, and please let us know what you find out ...
I did not order the Style 241 wheels but did receive them. Long story short, you could say I got them for "free".

I went to dealership today to talk to the manager and he told me same thing. "Still waiting on answer from BMW Canada on the matter about your springs and Premium Package items". Of course he said it with that "oh it's you again... please go away" tone in his voice :tsk:. I didn't tell him that we figured the sports suspension out. Either way he clearly is not interested in helping me out even a little bit.

Not sure if going to the other dealership in town would net me a different result but going to hit them up on Saturday and see...

·
Proud Canadian, I'm Sorry
942 Posts
I did not order the Style 241 wheels but did receive them. Long story short, you could say I got them for "free".

I went to dealership today to talk to the manager and he told me same thing. "Still waiting on answer from BMW Canada on the matter about your springs and Premium Package items". Of course he said it with that "oh it's you again... please go away" tone in his voice :tsk:. I didn't tell him that we figured the sports suspension out. Either way he clearly is not interested in helping me out even a little bit.

Not sure if going to the other dealership in town would net me a different result but going to hit them up on Saturday and see...
I would love a set of style 241 wheels. :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,764 Posts

I hope I'm wrong on this, but it's 8 years after purchase, 5 years after end of warranty, and the issue here is at best a misleading sale, and worst case a fraudulent sale. I'm not thinking anyone on the BMW side is going to really jump on getting you evidence to use to try to sue them. I'd definitely try other dealers, but I wouldn't go in with high hopes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I did not order the Style 241 wheels but did receive them. Long story short, you could say I got them for "free"...
If you didn't order those wheels, it sounds like you received a different car build entirely - whether through incomprehensible bungling or a deliberate act. It's incredible to think that nobody caught this at some point along the line.

...Not sure if going to the other dealership in town would net me a different result but going to hit them up on Saturday and see...
Be aware that Calgary BMW and BMW Gallery are both owned by the Dilawri group, so I wouldn't be hopeful of a much different response.
If you do not hear back from them in a timely fashion, I would write a registered letter to the dealer manager and BMW Canada. Document what you have discussed so far and with who, and attach a copy of your bill of sale and a copy of the option list you printed out from your serial number. Reiterate that the car you received had different wheels than what you ordered with the sports package, and was also missing the premium package you paid for.

Yes, this was a long time ago, but I'm sure this will get their attention - it sounds like somebody really messed up big time ... :thumbdwn:

·
bmw addict
1,345 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts