BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New pads and rotors all the way around, now i'm getting noise from my rear drums/shoes as when i brake i can still hear the noise. I did not replace the shoes, and my parking braking (manual trans) cable snapped a little while ago. Do i have to go in there and replace the shoes, or will this noise go away soon?

· Registered
403 Posts
New pads and rotors all the way around, now i'm getting noise from my rear drums/shoes as when i brake i can still hear the noise. I did not replace the shoes, and my parking braking (manual trans) cable snapped a little while ago. Do i have to go in there and replace the shoes, or will this noise go away soon?
It sounds like your parking brake is out of adjustment. I would just adjust what is there rather than replace the shoes. Especially, since it is rendered non-functional, due to the broken cable. Replacing the parking brake shoes will not buy you anything. You will still need to adjust the new shoes.

You can wait a couple of days to see if the noise goes away. If it does not, then try to adjust the shoes.

This is a thread about adjusting an e46 3-series parking brake.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82648

BTW - you should probably look into repairing the parking brake cable...

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, so i would imagine I would adjust the shoes to go further out or retract in? Guessing it's dragging and not being flush is what is causing the noise. So it's adjust them in on the star or out?

Thanks for the info and link.

· Registered
403 Posts
Thanks for the info, so i would imagine I would adjust the shoes to go further out or retract in? Guessing it's dragging and not being flush is what is causing the noise. So it's adjust them in on the star or out?

Thanks for the info and link.
You are going to want to retract them in. I'm not sure what direction to tell you to turn the star to create more tension to retract the shoes.

Block the wheels and and after the car is safely lifted and the wheel is removed - put the car in neutral - then you can try to spin the rotor after you have adjusted the star one way or the other. You will want the rotor to spin with less resistance or no noise from the rubbing shoe.

(I think you need to turn the star away from the center of the hub, but I'm really not sure.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.