BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have about 43K on our 2010 35D. Other than a few times a year in the shop for minor issues, things have been going very well with the operation of the vehicle. I'm on the fence about getting either the extended vehicle maintenance or Extended warranty (I believe there are two levels, Gold and Platinum)

Anyone have any personal experience with either plan and whether or not it was a good investment? Part of me thinks that if there was a major flaw in the build of the car it would have shown up by now and I should just save the money (2-5K) until something does happen. On the other hand, BMWs are notorious for accumulating high costs for even seemingly minor repairs and with the diesel I'm a bit nervous about any issues relating to the DEF system. I'm not very hands on with working on the car but I do have a good shop that I take my Z4 to for oil changes and tune-ups. I bought the car outright so it is not leased and I plan on keeping it as long as it is running well (hopefully 10+yrs).

Would love to know how many of you decided to get the Extended Warranty and which plan you chose. :thumbup:

· Registered
784 Posts
We have about 43K on our 2010 35D. Other than a few times a year in the shop for minor issues, things have been going very well with the operation of the vehicle. I'm on the fence about getting either the extended vehicle maintenance or Extended warranty (I believe there are two levels, Gold and Platinum)

Anyone have any personal experience with either plan and whether or not it was a good investment? Part of me thinks that if there was a major flaw in the build of the car it would have shown up by now and I should just save the money (2-5K) until something does happen. On the other hand, BMWs are notorious for accumulating high costs for even seemingly minor repairs and with the diesel I'm a bit nervous about any issues relating to the DEF system. I'm not very hands on with working on the car but I do have a good shop that I take my Z4 to for oil changes and tune-ups. I bought the car outright so it is not leased and I plan on keeping it as long as it is running well (hopefully 10+yrs).

Would love to know how many of you decided to get the Extended Warranty and which plan you chose. :thumbup:
I purchased the BMW Powertrain Plus 5/100 to cover my 36/90k mile lease, I paid well under 1800 for it, the plan does not cover everything but it does cover the major components including the DEF system, I will not purchase the extended maintenance for the cost of 2200 as I am planning to add my own DEF and only use the dealer for oil changes, as for brakes I am planning to go with an INdy as I will probably change to a low dust pad, I will probably not need brakes at all during my 50k " free " period.

· Registered
37 Posts
I purchased the Platinum. This "warranty" is just insurance to cover all the potential issues from this beast of a machine. I also wanted coverage for the Navi and all related components, so Platinum was the only choice. I plan on keeping this vehicle, so, for me, it makes sense to have some extended warranty coverage.

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
Personal decision.

I would NEVER buy the maintenance plan- and in your case, given you have a good indy, you should not either. Maintenance as defined by BMW is really minimal. Have you changed brakes yet?

The powertrain plan is a good idea, especially when you have an indy to backstop you. One complication is that you must take it to the dealer to get diagnosed, and if they come back saying "not covered, pay us $200 for the diagnosis AND $1500 for the fix" you face a decision....

· Registered
363 Posts
Absolutely do not get extended maintenance. My biggest reason against this is some of the maintenance items are not represented in Idrive, and most people are "trained" by the dealer to not worry about it until the system tells you it is time. Buy your authentic replacement parts online, and take to your indy for install.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.