BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, 2004 325i with 122k miles here. Like the title says, the car's dying occasionally when rolling to stop signs/lights and today it happened after exiting the freeway. Ran the alternator test 19/9 and it still shows 12 volts with the engine off, and with it on I get 14.0 - 14.1 so I think the it's OK. I've also been dealing with a pair of P0171 and P0174 codes so I swapped my MAF with one a buddy of mine gave me, just to see if that could be one of the causes, and that's when the trouble started. Is this coincidence or could a faulty MAF cause this to happen? I'm also thinking it could be my fuel pump starting to go bad. Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
If you haven't changed your fuel pump and filter, I would do that. My car with 150k miles had problems with random stalling, rare at first and became more frequent. Changed pump and filter fixed it.

·
Anti-Hack
6,416 Posts
Swap back to your original MAF sensor and then find your vacuum leaks. Both the codes and the stalling when returning to idle are evidence of the engine running lean.

Start by looking for oil leaks, and cracks in the intake duct.

Via the interwebs

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
"Dying coming to a stop" is usually from a dirty ICV valve.
This happened to my 2004 2.5i X3 M54 with only 90K...
Cleaned the ICV...zero issues during the last 3 years.

- Tons of ICV DIY on the internet. I wrote the tricks in X5 forum for the "impossible screw facing down"...
Use a pair of right-angle pliers to twist the screw a bit, then rotate it around so it faces a better area for removal:

- At this age/mileage, consider replacing the large rubber boots too. They are usually cracked at this age.

- The smaller grey-color elbow rubber boot (where the ICV valve is inserted into)...this is usually good for 200K or more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, turns out I'm an idiot. Not sure how this was missed but there's a huge hole in the upper intake, which was the first and easiest place I should have looked. :rolleyes: Hopefully this was the only issue. Thanks for all the replies thus far! Appreciate the help here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts