BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking to a BMW dealership now regarding a 535 m sport diesel they said the car is about 250 horsepower 50 less than the regular gas but he said the torque is at 380 compare to 300 with a regular gas. I don't understand too much as far as that goes you think it makes a difference as far as the 50 horsepower? He said it sounds a lil different too. It's the last one and goes for 70000 but they reduced it to 66000 already

·
diesel evangelist
2,326 Posts
Talking to a BMW dealership now regarding a 535 m sport diesel they said the car is about 250 horsepower 50 less than the regular gas but he said the torque is at 380 compare to 300 with a regular gas. I don't understand too much as far as that goes you think it makes a difference as far as the 50 horsepower? He said it sounds a lil different too. It's the last one and goes for 70000 but they reduced it to 66000 already
The diesel makes 413 lb-ft of torque.
Drive both diesel & gas in the conditions in which you will operate and decide which one works best for you. If you do a considerable amount of highway driving, then diesel is great.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Torque has much impact on acceleration. Although the 0-60 times tell one story, that initial push off the line is what most folks notice.
Drive it and you'll see what I mean.
What he said. To give some further clarification:

Torque is what plants your butt in the seat when you accelerate from a dead stop
Horsepower has more affect on the top speed of the vehicle.

I would much rather have a "torquey" motor over more horsepower.

It's all in what you want.

Drive both cars.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Go diesel. The torque kick is addictive, diesel is about 50¢ less per gallon than Premium (which is required in a BMW), and so far no matter how I drive the car (328d) it never drops below 40mpg. Ever.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Looks like I won't be getting the diesel the delaership gave me a crappy deal over the phone msd down and 795 a month. No way I can do a hell of alot better than that. Bmw of tenafly I though being it's the last one they can do better wow. O well

·
Registered
486 Posts
Looks like I won't be getting the diesel the delaership gave me a crappy deal over the phone msd down and 795 a month. No way I can do a hell of alot better than that. Bmw of tenafly I though being it's the last one they can do better wow. O well
That's a lot of coin. Did you run your lease numbers through Ride with G?

·
The Batman
320 Posts
I don't even do phone. I send e-mails out to multiple dealerships with a general car in mind, asking for their best numbers with some of my numbers that help the situation (also make them aware of your credit status). If you see a number you don't like, just say you won't do that and you will go to the other dealership.

There is a sophistication to it. You have to both be polite and force your point. I hope you can find what you want. 795 a month is insane, that's M payments!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Torque has much impact on acceleration. Although the 0-60 times tell one story, that initial push off the line is what most folks notice.
Drive it and you'll see what I mean.
Seconded.

I have a X5 straight 6 diesel and though I've had it only 1 day so far, I'm very happy with it--pickup is great and the fuel tank capacity per my dashboard indicator is 480-some miles. Lots of great reviews via the Internet, too.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 121K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,955 Posts
Seconded. I have a X5 straight 6 diesel and though I've had it only 1 day so far, I'm very happy with it--pickup is great and the fuel tank capacity per my dashboard indicator is 480-some miles. Lots of great reviews via the Internet, too.
Actually your fuel tank capacity is about 22 gallons.

480 miles/22 gallons = 21.8 mpg

About the same as what mine shows right now, three tanks of fuel since our last road trip. After 1000 miles at interstate speeds, mine gets and shows ~29 mpg.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.