BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer highly recommend x35d to me instead of 35i. I read a lot of discussion in this forum about which is better

But one thing not mentioned clearly is how about maintenance cost for diesel engine? Some website mention diesel engine needs more frequent maintenance while maintenance itself is simpler than gas engine

Is this true for x5? can someone introduce a little bit more on diesel maintenance?

Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Oil changes for diesel are typically 8k - 9k miles based on the on board computer, while the gas version goes 12k - 15k. But for me, I change the oil religiously every 5k, so its not a factor.

You also have urea tanks to fill on the 35d, but you can get that stuff at truck stops for less than $20 a bottle. A full system flush and fill will have to be done at some point but I don't know how much that runs.

I've had, and have, both engines, and don't find one more costly to maintain than he other. And when you factor in miles per tank of fuel, I think the diesel has the slight edge in overall operating costs.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Some website mention diesel engine needs more frequent maintenance while maintenance itself is simpler than gas engine
You must be reading internet websites on general guidelines of "diesel' vesus 'gas'... those guidances are not applicable to modern auto diesel motors, IMO

Oil changes for diesel are typically 8k - 9k miles based on the on board computer, while the gas version goes 12k - 15k. But for me, I change the oil religiously every 5k, so its not a factor.

You also have urea tanks to fill on the 35d, but you can get that stuff at truck stops for less than $20 a bottle. A full system flush and fill will have to be done at some point but I don't know how much that runs.

I've had, and have, both engines, and don't find one more costly to maintain than he other. And when you factor in miles per tank of fuel, I think the diesel has the slight edge in overall operating costs.
Bingo

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm surprised to hear oil change every 5k for BMW, as far as i know, only japanese car requires that frequent oild change!?

since u have both engine, so do u feel gas engine is better (quieter, etc.) than diesel without considering $$$ difference

·
Registered
103 Posts
i'm surprised to hear oil change every 5k for BMW, as far as i know, only japanese car requires that frequent oild change!?

since u have both engine, so do u feel gas engine is better (quieter, etc.) than diesel without considering $$$ difference
Oil change at that interval is not required, that's my choice, and a good practice no matter what BMW's computers say.

I don't find the diesel any noisier than the gas engine, it's just a different sound.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Oil change at that interval is not required, that's my choice, and a good practice no matter what BMW's computers say.

I don't find the diesel any noisier than the gas engine, it's just a different sound.
Ditto ...2x?

:thumbup:

The diesel has much more torque...you will feel this as a deep "grunt" power.... not a 'high RPM blast', but just strength and an ability to plow up hills with no real change on the accelerator (cant call it a gas pedal, can we?)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.