BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: Hello bimmerfest forum: I have a minor crisis and need some insight into the best way to proceed. I and my significant other are about 850 miles from home, in Indian Pass, Fl. We unwittingly accidentally filled the near empty gas tank of our 2010 BMW 135i convertible with diesel fuel.

At first there were no problems upon driving away. However, eventually crisis struck. I never saw a car react so harshly, as if it were possessed. Spitting, sputtering, backfiring, lurching, near stalling. Shortly afterward, the engine warning light lit up (actually looks like icon of an engine).

We were barely able to drive it back to our lodging, total distance of driving under these conditions, about 15 miles.

We need the insight of others with greater knowledge into this type of thing to direct us in the best approach to correct this situation with the best possible outcome. The car only has 30,000 miles on it and ran like a champ until we did this.

Please help us with what to do...

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,404 Posts
Get thee to a dealer.

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
It's far better to use diesel in a gas engine than gas in a diesel engine. Drain it out, replace it with gasoline, and you should be fine. Dont' drive it. Spring for a flatbed to get it where it's going to be drained.

The high-pressure fuel pumps (HPFP's) in diesels need the lubricity of the diesel fuel to stay in one piece. VW had a trouble with HPFP's. They found that a lot of these failures involved accidently putting gasoline in diesel VW's.

The accidental wrong fuel thing is what will stop me from buying a diesel X3 as the next Putzer Frauwagen. It's not that I don't trust Frau Putzer.... Well, yeah it is. My limited trust in her went down to zero when she accidiently used Round Up instead of Weed-B-Gon. Re-sodding the yard cost $4k.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,404 Posts
The accidental wrong fuel thing is what will stop me from buying a diesel X3 as the next Putzer Frauwagen. It's not that I don't trust Frau Putzer.... Well, yeah it is. My limited trust in her went down to zero when she accidiently used Round Up instead of Weed-B-Gon. Re-sodding the yard cost $4k.
Late model BMW diesels incorporate Misfueling Prevention Devices.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts