BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone hear of any plans to bring a diesel engine to the X4 ? :thumbup:

Just started looking at my options as my E70 X5 diesel is going to be up for return.

I am considering keeping the X5 diesel if I can't find a suitable replacement.

Anyone ???:dunno:

· Registered
90 Posts
Haven't heard anything but was happily surprised to see both X4 and X6 in diesel form in Europe this summer (France, specifically). If they offer the X4 in diesel I'll definitely swap into one when my lease comes due.

· Registered
90 Posts
X4 is diesel only in UK - no petrol options. I know that doesn't help you in U.S.! Diesel is still very rare in U.S. for cars, is it not? (Could be wrong on that)
By now you've probably seen the diesel stats for the US owed to the VW scandal. VAG sold over 500,000 of the 4-cyl diesels here over the last few years, and of late was running at something like 23% of their sales here. Other marks who offer diesels here (BMW, Mercedes, Chevy) sales were de minimus. VAG was by far the most successful at pushing oil burners.

Now with that idiotic VW emissions cheating scandal, we might as well scratch any diesel offerings now.....
Sadly true. Or, it's also possible that - assuming BMW and Mercedes have been "doing it the right way" all along, i.e. not cheating - the other mfrs could seize on this and move in to take the 85,000 diesel sales per year that VAG enjoyed. Win some converts as it were.

· Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By now you've probably seen the diesel stats for the US owed to the VW scandal. VAG sold over 500,000 of the 4-cyl diesels here over the last few years, and of late was running at something like 23% of their sales here. Other marks who offer diesels here (BMW, Mercedes, Chevy) sales were de minimus. VAG was by far the most successful at pushing oil burners.

Sadly true. Or, it's also possible that - assuming BMW and Mercedes have been "doing it the right way" all along, i.e. not cheating - the other mfrs could seize on this and move in to take the 85,000 diesel sales per year that VAG enjoyed. Win some converts as it were.
Wow, so true - maybe the other manufacturers can benefit from the diesel scandal.....:bigpimp:

I'll be test driving the X4 and X3 diesel this weekend will report back.:angel:

· Registered
90 Posts
BMW in UK have issued a formal statement saying they don't have software 'defeat devices'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Looks like they're going to have to rescind that statement, or at least modify it! The X3 is now apparently being shown to emit >10X the specified amount of pollutant. Whether via software or other trick, they're clearly flouting the law.

Sadly it may only be a matter of time before more mfrs and models are ensnared in this.

· BMWCCA '505245
1,371 Posts
I wish we had more BMW Diesel here

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.