Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If so, this is a common problem that BMW needs to address in BMW X5 35d (E70) and other diesels. It is an EGR cooler or EGR Valve issue leaking exhaust in the engine compartment and blowing exhaust through the vents.

File a complaint here to push for a recall. it takes 30 seconds. just have your VIN ready
http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners
I know i have been painting the forum with this issue but I dont want to hear about a baby who died in the car or a mother who got carbon monoixide poisoned and ran off the road.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
..File a complaint here to push for a recall.
Recall of what exactly?
Do you realize there are multiple possible causes of exhaust leak?
EGR valve
EGR cooler
EGR "plumbing" (so to speak)
Exhaust manifold
Gaskets
Any part of exhaust piping
Turbos
etc etc

Some of these items BMW has already addressed via recall campaigns, widely advertised or rather quiet, and some deem rare enough to ignore (and make $$ in the process). In case of EGR cooler, to my understanding they - BMW - believe it's the bracket that causes cooler cracking, and there's a recall for that.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have an occasional Diesel smell in the cabin, and also the smell of windshield washer fluid, when I use it. It's not what I expected for a new vehicle.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If so, this is a common problem that BMW needs to address in BMW X5 35d (E70) and other diesels. It is an EGR cooler or EGR Valve issue leaking exhaust in the engine compartment and blowing exhaust through the vents.

BMW has addressed this issue. There is a "campaign" (a sort of voluntary recall) that adds an additional support bracket to the egr valve to eliminate vibration-induced cracking (and leaking).
Not to be a nudge, but this topic is very well covered in multiple threads on this very forum.
Check it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I may be having this problem with my 2014 328d it's either exhaust or a fuel leak or some sort of gas escaping in the engine compartment when you say diesels all models all years?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry I have now read all the threads could the egr valve still be an issue in a 14 328d hard to believe but the air in the cabin through the vents is bad

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue. Found the leak by spraying soapy water over the exhaust parts. The leak comes from the expansion connector near the top right elbow on the EGR cooler, just before the connection to the intake manifold.
There was staining around the area also.
I used high temp silicon to temporarily fill the gap. Waiting for BMW to cough up for a replacement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts