BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
In the Pipe, 5 by 5.
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Difference between "comfort", "normal" and "sport" modes

The BMW manual is poorly written. Can someone explain exactly what engine and chasis changes occur when switching from comfort to normal to sport?
I understand that the shocks are offset for providing different riding characteristics, but what about steering? I also acknowledge that the shift points are different from comfort/normal to sport, and that the engine revs higher in sport mode. But, do the steering characteristics change if you have the adaptive drive option? Does the steering become tighter when switching to "sport". I prefer the smoother ride in the comfort or normal mode but would like to tighten the steering feel. Can I configure this combination?

thanks

·
Registered
429 Posts
According to a BMW chassis engineer quoted in the Roundel, there is a difference in steering and throttle responses, but not in ride settings between the Sport and Sport+.
I didn't know that. I only thought there is difference between Comfort, Normal, and Sport for all three (ride, steering, and throttle) and Sport + only reduces the DSC intervention. Now he was talking about X3 in the article, but I assume the system is the same.
does this help?

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
The BMW manual is poorly written. Can someone explain exactly what engine and chasis changes occur when switching from comfort to normal to sport?
I understand that the shocks are offset for providing different riding characteristics, but what about steering? I also acknowledge that the shift points are different from comfort/normal to sport, and that the engine revs higher in sport mode. But, do the steering characteristics change if you have the adaptive drive option? Does the steering become tighter when switching to "sport". I prefer the smoother ride in the comfort or normal mode but would like to tighten the steering feel. Can I configure this combination?

thanks
Comfort to Normal adjusts the shocks only.

Normal to sport adjusts the steering weight as well as the shocks. You can set through the I drive whether you also want it to include "drivetrain" meaning transmission shifts and throttle response. You can also get the same drivetrain modes by putting the shifter in sport as well. I leave mine separated so I can run the stiffer shocks, but not the throttle and transmission mania. ;)

Sport to Sport plus simply reduces the level of DSC to the "Dynamic Traction" setting, IIRC the name correctly.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
does this help?
keep in mind, i have never had the following answered satisfactoraly.

SPORT mode with just chassis and lever to left = sporty

SPORT mode with both chassis and drivetrain (but lever in middle) = sportier?

SPORT mode with both chassis and drivetrain (with lever to left) = sportiest?

SPORT+ mode with lever to left = sportiest with no DSC?

it seems that there could be some confusion about Sport+. it may tighten up steering and throttle response even more??

·
In the Pipe, 5 by 5.
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
keep in mind, i have never had the following answered satisfactoraly.

SPORT mode with just chassis and lever to left = sporty

SPORT mode with both chassis and drivetrain (but lever in middle) = sportier?

SPORT mode with both chassis and drivetrain (with lever to left) = sportiest?

SPORT+ mode with lever to left = sportiest with no DSC?

it seems that there could be some confusion about Sport+. it may tighten up steering and throttle response even more??
I agree. It would help if someone could clarify these various settings.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
drbmw -
Assuming you have sport auto option
For simplicity sake, I will only mention the most pronounced changes. Keep in mind that functionality of sport auto and DHP (both referred as dynamic drive) are complementary.
SPORT mode with just chassis and lever to left = stiffer dampers, faster shifting points
SPORT mode with both chassis and drivetrain (but lever in middle) = stiffer dampers, tighter steering, better throttle
SPORT mode with both chassis and drivetrain (with lever to left) = stiffer dampers, tighter steering, better throttle response, faster shift points
SPORT+ mode with lever to left = dampers are as stiff as in SPORT, tighter steering, better throttle response, faster shifts, DSC off

·
In the Pipe, 5 by 5.
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Makes sense. Do most of you drive in the sport mode for the sake of better acceleration and handling at the expense of worse mpg?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Thanks. Makes sense. Do most of you drive in the sport mode for the sake of better acceleration and handling at the expense of worse mpg?
I generally drive in sport with chasis settings on o ly. When i want to dial it up i either move shifter over or sport+

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
I normally drive in Sport mode and shift manually.

·
550 XI M Sport F10
362 Posts
I drive in sport+ when i drive on weekends and cruising.

Comfort mode with all these potholes makes a big difference.

Paddles are a big sport advantage

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Munich Ex
67 Posts
drbmw -
Assuming you have sport auto option
For simplicity sake, I will only mention the most pronounced changes. Keep in mind that functionality of sport auto and DHP (both referred as dynamic drive) are complementary.
SPORT mode with just chassis and lever to left = stiffer dampers, faster shifting points
SPORT mode with both chassis and drivetrain (but lever in middle) = stiffer dampers, tighter steering, better throttle
SPORT mode with both chassis and drivetrain (with lever to left) = stiffer dampers, tighter steering, better throttle response, faster shift points
SPORT+ mode with lever to left = dampers are as stiff as in SPORT, tighter steering, better throttle response, faster shifts, DSC off
Sport and Sport+ = I get it , select the button you want.
Lever Left, Middle = I get it
just Chassis or both chassis and drivetrain = ??? How are these individually selectable.

·
Happy F10 driver
133 Posts
Sport and Sport+ = I get it , select the button you want.
Lever Left, Middle = I get it
just Chassis or both chassis and drivetrain = ??? How are these individually selectable.
In iDrive settings or configure in iDrive when you press Sport -it comes up on the screen

·
Munich Ex
67 Posts
Thanks for the response. Expect delivery on my 550i this coming week doing the pre-flight check prep now. This is tops on the list.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts