BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw that 5A2 LED headlights come standard and offering of 552 Adaptive Full LED Lights.
Question: Left is 5A2? and right is the Adaptive?
Also noticed in the ordering guide that 552 AFLL is under ZPP Premium Pkg for the 540i, am I able to order it alone or must be ordered with the ZPP pkg?

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes, correct. There is a German price list floating around that has pictures of the two variants.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Which one for US?
552 is an option (part of ZPP on the 540 and part of the ZLP on the 530). 5A2 are the standard headlights on both models. I don't think 552 can be ordered individually, looking at the US ordering guide.

Interesting fact about 552. The high beams come with an extended range of up to 500 meters (1640 ft). Useful if you are going down the autobahn at 155mph at night :)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Really bad terminology by BMW. Seems like standard headlights are Xenon with LED elements, rather than LED Headlights as termed by BMW ordering guide.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The Left one is 5A2 + 524 = LED Headlight with Extended Content plus Adaptive Curve Lightning and On/Off High Beam Assistant.

5A2 = Standard LED Headlight. It looks almost the same as when 524 is included, but it lacks the LED module for the static cornering lights in the lower inside corners.

The Right One is 552 = Adaptive Full LED Headlight (Icon Light), with full adaptive and dynamic functions and High Beam Assistant with Selective Beam.
+
Also it seems confusing that some article states adaptive LED is standard and others states it isn't for US....?
There are two "adaptive" versions as shown in the first post. The Left image is the standard LED that can be combined with Extended Contents and Adaptive curve lighting function and basic high beam assistant. That combo minus the HBA is standard in the US. The right image is Full LED Adaptive (Icon Light - seriously BMW, just call them Icon Full LED Headlights and be done). For ECE regulated markets, they have more functionality and High Beam Assist with Selective Beam. This should because legal in the US very soon at which point these functions will be enabled.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The Left one is 5A2 + 524 = LED Headlight with Extended Content plus Adaptive Curve Lightning and On/Off High Beam Assistant.

5A2 = Standard LED Headlight. It looks almost the same as when 524 is included, but it lacks the LED module for the static cornering lights in the lower inside corners.

The Right One is 552 = Adaptive Full LED Headlight (Icon Light), with full adaptive and dynamic functions and High Beam Assistant with Selective Beam.
+
Also it seems confusing that some article states adaptive LED is standard and others states it isn't for US....?
There are two "adaptive" versions as shown in the first post. The Left image is the standard LED that can be combined with Extended Contents and Adaptive curve lighting function and basic high beam assistant. That combo minus the HBA is standard in the US. The right image is Full LED Adaptive (Icon Light - seriously BMW, just call them Icon Full LED Headlights and be done). For ECE regulated markets, they have more functionality and High Beam Assist with Selective Beam. This should because legal in the US very soon at which point these functions will be enabled.
How do you know about this? I just searched online and don't see any news related to this. I suspect, the hardware (in headlights) might be lacking on the US cars (just like it is currently on F10) making it impossible to enable it via programming.

·
Registered
763 Posts
BMW and it's associates in Washington D.C. are lobbying the Department of Transportation off their slow moving perches. As are Audi et-al.
Adaptive Full LED Headlight (Icon Light), with full adaptive and dynamic functions and High Beam Assistant with Selective Beam, will be a reality in the USA.
Exactly when? We cannot say but expect 2017-18 latest, probably sometime in 2017. Tic Toc
Vid of the benz shows the detail how the patterns of the MULTIBEAM projects and moves with detected objects, most interesting lighting array to date.

2015 Audi S8 - Matrix LED headlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzn2cGfZqcQ

MULTIBEAM LED headlamps in the new E-Class - Mercedes-Benz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OJjvYPV3oc

·
Registered
413 Posts
How do you know about this? I just searched online and don't see any news related to this. I suspect, the hardware (in headlights) might be lacking on the US cars (just like it is currently on F10) making it impossible to enable it via programming.
Anyone can copy and paste a post from another site.

·
Registered
413 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts

+
If I'm reading what you're saying right, does that mean the standard headlights in the US have some high beam assistance built in? If so, what does that mean or to what extent? I'm interested in getting high beam assist but not if it means getting the $1k add-on for nicer LED lights just to get it.

·
Chitown traveller
481 Posts
Really bad terminology by BMW. Seems like standard headlights are Xenon with LED elements, rather than LED Headlights as termed by BMW ordering guide.
This is exactly what I meant in the configuration thread, standards look like xenons not leds in the us configurator. Misleading since all the press releases state "standard led headlights"

·
Registered
763 Posts
From this OP http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=960319
Look at page with window sticker, appears first release included ICON at no charge.

ICON is listed as options on BMW USA builder.

Nobody can say if ICON is upgraded with additional active software, many posts say no. I say maybe and probably yes later in the year.

No xenon, all are LED like the 7er and, ICON LED.

Call your dealer.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Wow man. I just noticed that the lights are totally different without the ICON adaptive light package. SOB. I was under the assumption they looked the same, just some other tech that was involved. My vehicle is already in production so I probably cant change this, right? I imagine the turn signals aren't LED now either. Is there a video of what the "standard" LED headlights look like?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts