BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a hard time changing the differential fluid in my 92 525i. All the diy's and parts people say the drain and fill plugs are 10mm allen key bolts however mine diffinately are not. The closest I have come is a 17mm allen key which is a little to big and the next standard size down is a 14mm( The parts supplier Napa orders from only make 11mm,12mm,14mm,17mm,19mm in oversized allen wrenches). I know I can special order a 16mm but after searching all the usually parts suppliers I use pelican parts, bav auto, oem bimmer parts they all claim the proper tool should be a 10mm allen wrench which confuses me a little.:dunno: Anyways my question is since I'm sure someone on here has successfully changed the differential fluid for an e34 sedan (m50 engine, standard trans, I would list the differential but the tag is so dirty I can't read it) I was wondering if anyone had any advise or has gone through this before and knows the solution before I spend $20 on a part I'm not sure will work. thanks for any help you guys can offer.

·
Wrenchin' guy
429 Posts
TWO words

:smokin:

Sears Craftsman

Northern Tool

Harbor Frieght

there U can find whatever size you need!!

:drink:

cpnwrench

·
Wrenchin' guy
429 Posts
Per Bentley.......

:smokin:

Guy,

I have the Bentley Manual open to page 331-4 (final drive) I have the same year and model as you.

quote.."Use a 14 mm allen bit socket to remove the drain plug. Alternatively, cut approximately 33 mm (1.2 in) from an allen key and use an open end wrench on the key stub"

[Now, someone may have changed the plug for the fill, I don't know, but both the drain and fill are the same size allen key)

Bentley also says to make sure the car is warm before draining diff fluid......

(oh yeah, I know it is a 14 mm as I have the beast up on jacks now replacing the oil pan gasket, and after reading your post I went out and got under it to check the size. Its def a 14 mm allen.)

hope this helps!!!!

:smokin: :drink:

cpnwrench

·
Yaofeng
296 Posts
Go to Autozone to get a set of 1/2" drive allen sockets. I used that to change the diff fluid on my 540. I forgot the exact size. But the set has a correct size socket.

·
No more e34!
748 Posts
stick a bolt HEAD in the allen to determine the exact and correct size.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help the fitting was a 14mm and I ended up having to cut off about a half inch off the allen key to get it to fit but besides that it was smooth sailing. Thanks again for the help on this one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts