BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any other differential I could look into buying that doesn't have me doing 3k rpms at 65 mph in 5th? I would like a different type of gearing so I don't have to listen to the high 4k+ rpm over 80mph

· Somebody stop me....
3,719 Posts
In my M3 I'm at 3500 rpms doing 65. I just deal with it. It's worth it for the acceleration

· Somebody stop me....
3,719 Posts
I have an exhaust on my car. I drove it about 500 miles going 80 at about 4000+ rpms. Learn to love the sound.

· Sometimes Out To Lunch!!!
888 Posts
A cat back would sound good and probably give just a little performance but only just a little. If you're going to do that look into a high flow CAT. or put a test pipe in there. good luck let us know how it turned out. It's a shame that there isn't more that can be manufactured for the M44/M42 motors to get more performance out of them at a reasonable cost, if you look at the design of it they really have alot of potential. I guess a turbo would be the best way, anyway sorry for the thread jack carry on......

· Cruising 280 Top Down
6,494 Posts
BMW geared the 318 to make up for the lack of power. You want to be even slower?

· Turn Burglar
13,699 Posts
I have a 318ti with a 3.45LSD and it's decent enough for around town driving. If I drove on the highway more I would definitely want something taller, however you really do need the short gearing to make up for that lack of power. A 318 with a 3.15 just wouldnt be able to pass anybody at freeway speeds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.