BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trying to sell my 535i but it's been difficult, to get an M3.

2008 Alpine White
4,725 miles
Premium
Sports
Nav
Ipod adapter
Heated seats
Black leather
Walnut trim
Sports auto
Fold down rear seat
3m clear bra
Not a freaking mark on it.

Was asking $36,250 in So CA. Lots of tire kickers, best offer I got was $35k, I thought that was low considering the condition but perhaps I am misjudging the market and asking too much? I see most 535i in the $32-35 range with 25-40k in mileage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
yeah it's a really tough market, and people who buy used cars usually don't have that type of cash, so they go to dealerships to finance used cars. Did you compare to Carmax for comparison?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Yep.
Especially for $30K used car, people who is willing to buy at this price deals with dealer most of the time; private party sells well in under $10K range.
The other thing, it'll takes time if you are shooting for higher price, just be patient. Soe

BMW enthusiasts may come along from afar but these crowds usually demand sport package + manual trans, they are willing to pay for more if the color and condition is right plus the above options.

·
Sleeper Wagon
729 Posts
Auction price is ~$27K, you might add another $1K for low milage and options - but that's about it. Realistically, you might sell it for $30K. What will the dealer offer in trade? Remember you only pay tax on the amount less trade in value.

You are right - it is a tough market and there are a lot of CPO'd cars out there. Doesn't matter what people are ASKING for the car on the internet, it's what they are SELLLING for. One good thing is if the car is still under factory 4/50 warranty, whoever buys your car can purchase a BMW "Ultimate protection warranty" on their own.

Trust me - I tried to sell my car on AutoTrader for a "fair" price - and got very few responses.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Auction price is ~$27K, you might add another $1K for low milage and options - but that's about it. Realistically, you might sell it for $30K. What will the dealer offer in trade? Remember you only pay tax on the amount less trade in value.

Good luck!
I've heard that some states don't tax the whole new car price if you trade a car in... but this is definitely NOT true in California. With our 9.75% sales tax, we pay the full tax on all car purchases, no matter what car we sell or trade in.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I don't know the going rate for one is so I won't comment on that... But if you really wanted $ 36,250. You should have listed it at $ 37,500. From my experience with selling tons of stuff eBay, craigslist and forums, people just need to beat down the price just human nature. It's a fine car be patient do some homework on pricing, and add pics.. Someone's dying to buy it they just don't know it yet.. Can you link me the listing? How long you been tryin to sell?
EDIT: a quick search on autotrader says your priced right Imo. To me it's not what someone on the Internet says they paid, or auction pricing b/c only a few can get that.. Most people look on the the major car sites and yours with that milage is a good price. Glws

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a pending deal @ $35500. I think considering the market conditions this was a very good price and still a good deal to the seller as it's exactly what he was looking for.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, high retail KBB was $36k, no doubt the car is in true excellent condition. But the market just sucks and I think selling $30-$50k pre-owned cars is a bit of a nightmare.
I ran the ad for 3 wks, and had one serious buyer, the rest call me asked 50 questions and then ask if I will take $32k, oh well that part of the fun of selling.

I will say this will be the last car purchase I make. I can't seem to keep a car more than 2-3 yrs without wanting a new one, my wife leased her 328 coupe in 08 and we are going to order her new 335 vert this weekend.

I keep going between a new M3 lease or older 996-997 P Car, oh the dark side is strong.

·
Sox Fan
117 Posts
35k is a great deal - with only 5k miles on it, someone is basically getting a new, nicely loaded 5 series for about 40% off sticker price.

The tough part is what everyone said - people looking to drop 35k on a luxury used car typically go to dealers.

·
<my other German
444 Posts
I think you did well. I just bought an insanely loaded '08 550i for $36k from a private seller. Granted, it had 20k more miles, but still....a $78k sticker.

Tomorrow I get to find out how bad the market sucks for an '05 545i w/ 76k miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.