BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I'm thinking of getting a 6-series, but I'm interested to know more about the digital instrument cluster.

I know it displays navigation information when you have programmed a route, but what level of detail does it give on the diplay? Is it just forward, left, right arrows? Is it a smaller version of the map? Does it have realistic junction and lane views for highways?

To be clear, I'm talking only about the digital instrument cluster and not the main navigation display.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks. Any pictures would be great. Especially any complex junction or lane views.

Also, if anyone else has comments on using this, please let me know.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nav unit is very detailed. It gives plenty of warning before turns and will count down the distance, tell which lane to be in, what the exit name or number is, even complex exits which involve quick and multiple turns. I have the heads up display in my car, it also gives that same info, slightly less detailed, in your line of sight. Great Nav System. Sorry no picts to post.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Ok thanks. Any pictures would be great. Especially any complex junction or lane views.

Also, if anyone else has comments on using this, please let me know.
I use the Nav regularly and don't recall seeing any nav output in the instrument cluster. However, I have HUD, so maybe that overrides any cluster output.

As others have noted, the nav instructions/graphics are very clear and detailed. The routing logic, that's a different story.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Thanks all for the responses.

To be clear, I'm talking about displays like in the following image:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/lp73YdhsPRI/maxresdefault.jpg

I know this image shows a basic arrow, but I want to know if this changes to a detailed map/lane view depending on the situation? This is in the speedo cluster and not the main navigation screen.

Also, from TXPearl's post, it might be that this only happens without a HUD.

Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The basic arrow in the photo only shows up only if you're out of an area of street map coverage. It's just pointing you in the general direction you need to go to get back to an area where street maps are covered. That's not an example of actual DETAILED navigation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Do you have any information on the more detailed images it can show? Does it show a small map view? What about with complex motorway junction or big roundabout situations?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi,

Thanks all for the responses.

To be clear, I'm talking about displays like in the following image:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/lp73YdhsPRI/maxresdefault.jpg

I know this image shows a basic arrow, but I want to know if this changes to a detailed map/lane view depending on the situation? This is in the speedo cluster and not the main navigation screen.

Also, from TXPearl's post, it might be that this only happens without a HUD.

Thanks.
That display is only actually activated if the vehicle does not have heads up display or if the heads up display is deactivated otherwise that information shows up on the windshield in the heads up display. So either way that information will be displayed it just a question of whether it will be in the instrument cluster or on the windshield.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That display is only actually activated if the vehicle does not have heads up display or if the heads up display is deactivated otherwise that information shows up on the windshield in the heads up display. So either way that information will be displayed it just a question of whether it will be in the instrument cluster or on the windshield.
Thanks a lot. I understand that now, that's great.

I'm still trying to find more information on exactly what is shown. I.e. does it show something as complex as this at a motorway junction: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/reviews/garmin-nuvi3700/nuvi3790_PhotoReal_Junction_View_L.jpg

·
former motorcycle rider
766 Posts
I wrote a long, detailed answer, but then I realized since you use funny words like "motorway" that you are in the UK (thanks for putting that in your user CP - so many people don't bother) so what we get in the USA market may be quite different from what you get, especially since your steering wheel is on the wrong side. ;) We (Americans) lose a lot of features over here because we are easily distracted and then we have a tendency to sue the manufacturer for our mistake.

I suggest that you contact a knowledgeable sales person in your country, or better yet, test drive a car yourself so that you can experience it. It's a lot of money to spend, and if this is important to you, it's worth taking the time.

Best of luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts