BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - anyone using the Dinan High Flow Air intake? Fairly inexpensive @ around $200 and its actually a modification to the stock airbox.

·
Proud Canadian, I'm Sorry
942 Posts
Have you done it? Results?

·
Registered
12,837 Posts
The ad says it fits E46 M54 engines. You won't find that engine in a E85 or E86.

Turner Motorsport lists one for '03 to '05 cars. Here is the link.
The engine in the 2003-2005 non-M E85 Z4s is an M54. You still need to get the CAI for the Z4 because the air boxes are different between the E46 and the E85.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually did not link to the e46 CAI on purpose. It kind of did it automatically when I posted. I was looking at the $205 version for the E85 so thanks for the updated link without all the new piping.

I have not purchased it yet. Hoping for some feedback but I'm probably going to end up getting it when I find it on sale. I think DINAN runs a 15 or 20% off every once in a while. If I end up getting it, I'll post some feedback.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I remember someone tried several different intakes and was most happy with the aFE one. None of them will give you any noticeable performance gains, but if it's a throaty sound you're after why don't you try removing the foam baffle from your sound generator first?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK - intake delivered and installed.

Ordering/delivery - I purchased from Vivid racing and used a $20 off $200 coupon. Total cost $185 and it was delivered within a week of ordering using the free delivery option.

Installation - Fairly easy install. Instructions were clear. Everything went together as advertised. One item that was a little dicey was the replacement of the rubber support for the airbox. The original piece is wrapped around a hose with a strap and needs to be peeled off carefully. It feels like the hose is going to rip as you pull the strap off but I was careful and it didn't tear. Tools needed: pop rivet gun to install a deflector plate in the airbox and various standard ratchets and torx bits. The instructions specify that the filter, which is oval and not cone shaped, must be installed at a 97 degree. I eyeballed it and there was no issue. Total install time was less than 60 minutes.

Result - Since the system retains a pressurized closed airbox system, you don't get much of a difference in intake noise. What I did notice was a smoother and somewhat quicker acceleration from stop. Didn't have time to do a longer run but if all I get from it is the smoother acceleration, then I'm happy for the $$ spent.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! Interested to hear a longer term report too.
I was able to take the Z4 on a 150 mile run this weekend on both the highway and twisty roads and I'm very happy with the Dinan airbox. The car is a bit more throaty, but not intrusive at all, and I definitely feel like its a bit smoother and more eager to accelerate throughout the acceleration curve.

I'd definitely recommend.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I contacted Vivid (bought my eisemann muffler from them) and they directed me to the aFe air box (#51-11602). Said it was an easy install (no mods) and supposed to give up to an additional 7hp (we know how good these numbers are).

Why did you go with the Dinan?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I chose the Dinan for 2 reasons. It maintains a closed (pressurized) air box that gathers air from the stock ducting. At some point I'll probably add the ram air tube to increase flow. Other systems basically suck in air from the engine compartment to one extent or another.

Also the Dinan is 1/2 the price of the afe and since I don't believe that either system will actually provide more than a few hp boost, I'll save a few $$.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks.
I share your thoughts about the hp increase. Also have concerns about the increase in sound from the "open box".

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bit of advice on intake air systems.

Unless you see actual with and without dyno results, most of the time all you are getting is more noise.

I've seen quite a few ads saying things like "The stock intake only flows 500 cfm and our intake flows 650cfm, so it will improve the output."

That sort of possible disinformation works on many people, that don't stop to think that if the stock engine can only utilize 350 cfm, any additional flow capability gets you a big nada, no matter how impressive it my sound to credulous customers.

No idea if Dinan is making valid claims or not - they just say "simple yet very effective approach to the business of improved intake efficiency", whatever that may mean.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I chose the Dinan for 2 reasons. It maintains a closed (pressurized) air box that gathers air from the stock ducting. At some point I'll probably add the ram air tube to increase flow. Other systems basically suck in air from the engine compartment to one extent or another.

Also the Dinan is 1/2 the price of the afe and since I don't believe that either system will actually provide more than a few hp boost, I'll save a few $$.
Id be interested in seeing a pic of the Dinan installed? What is the model # of the Dinan? Lastly what year is your Z?

Interested to see if I can make this work on my 07 3.0SI

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its the Dinan D760-0011 and it's designed for Z4's equipped with the M54 engine. Won't fit on a 3.0si. My car is a 2005 Z4 Roadster with the 3.0 engine.

Looks like this installed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Its the Dinan D760-0011 and it's designed for Z4's equipped with the M54 engine. Won't fit on a 3.0si. My car is a 2005 Z4 Roadster with the 3.0 engine.

Looks like this installed.

Man that looks nice!

Thanks for sharing the pic. Its a challenge finding good aftermarket parts for the SI.

·
Registered
12,837 Posts
Man that looks nice!

Thanks for sharing the pic. Its a challenge finding good aftermarket parts for the SI.
Unfortunately true. :(

I believe Afe is your only choice for a full CAI assembly for the 3.0si, but K&N makes a high flow filter for the stock air box.

Just not enough 3.0si's built, and even fewer 3.0si owners interested in making mods for aftermarket manufacturers to invest in development.

If you're looking for an exhaust system, be prepared to firmly grasp your ankles, as Eisenmann and Super Sprint are the only sources. After a lot of research I did the muffler delete for about $300 and really like the result.

The quantity of Z4M's built was smaller but a high percentage of those owners mod their cars so at there's more choice for them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Unfortunately true. :(

I believe Afe is your only choice for a full CAI assembly for the 3.0si, but K&N makes a high flow filter for the stock air box.

Just not enough 3.0si's built, and even fewer 3.0si owners interested in making mods for aftermarket manufacturers to invest in development.

If you're looking for an exhaust system, be prepared to firmly grasp your ankles, as Eisenmann and Super Sprint are the only sources. After a lot of research I did the muffler delete for about $300 and really like the result.

The quantity of Z4M's built was smaller but a high percentage of those owners mod their cars so at there's more choice for them.
Not fond of AFE or K&N, i'm going to keep the stock intake.

I actually had a Scorpion exhaust imported from Europe, a member from another forum took his SI to the factory and they designed / produced is an exhaust system.

Video (sound clip): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9LPrKkqqs

1 - 20 of 21 Posts