BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
82nd Airborne!
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade my exhaust I have the Dinan Stage 2 software, Intake and now I am looking into the exhaust however the price way up there for only 7hp gains. 1k for an exhaust not including labor :mad: :tsk: Anyway, looking into bavautor and turnermotorsport for an exhaust but I dont know much about them and their products, any good solid exhaust recommendation where I dont get my bank account taken from me :dunno:

Since Dinan had 1/2 off sale on all their software I decided to upgrade, not bad for $299~ 16 hp gains~

Help me out here fellas! Thanks~

·
Registered
202 Posts
Exhaust alone isn't going to do you much good. Basically, the more air you have coming in, the more effective the exhaust is going to be. Why would it matter how much air is going out if you aren't getting any more in?

·
ZHPper
2,128 Posts
I've been told by people who know that a "performance" exhaust system is the least bang you can get for your buck. They sound better, but don't really do much else.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If I was going to get an exhaust I would go with catback, if ytou havent already decided on that but yes a chip would be better than an exhaust for a fraction of the cost. I would wait till you need to fix the stock exhaust, thats what im going to do.

·
82nd Airborne!
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So technically you dont get much from an exhaust just sound difference? Hmm, already got CAI and Stage 2 but I was informed by Dinan that in order for everything to work good that I will need an exhaust....

·
Registered
81 Posts
chgolatin2

In reading the DINAN site they show a total of 13hp increase for my 2.5 which requires their VERY EXPENSIVE muffler, chip, Cold air intake for something like $1700. since you have a stage 2 chip (is that different?) can you tell us what to expect if I buy one of those today. I would imagine all the increases would come above 4500rpm...let us know. thanx

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dinan Exhaust

I had the Dinan Software and CAI installed without the exhaust and noticed more available torque and horsepower above 4,000 RPM. When I told the technician that I was not impressed with the improvement, I was told that it was important to install the exhaust to improve the breathing. Once the Dinan exhaust was installed it woke up the engine. The improved throttle response is noticeable and the exhaust note is not offensive. I would suggest adding the exhaust.

·
Tightrope walking
9,559 Posts
Well, you're not going to get anything significant by choosing a different exhaust, so go with what you like the sound and look of the best. My best, marginally educated, guess is a whopping 1hp difference between the exhausts. Just throw the claims out the window. Most of those are based on the "one in every 10,000 cases" of cars that they tune and tune and tune and tune. You won't get those results for your car.

As for the backpressure argument, it's not so significant on your OBDII motor, because the computer is very good at compensating for the lack of it...read this article on the UUC Motorwerks website and you'll have a clearer picture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.