BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Dinan Free Flow Exhuast for 2010 535i

2987 19
I am thinking about gettin the Dinan Free Flow Exhuast for my 2010 535i. I was wondering if anyone has done this to a car like mine and how happy they where with the sound? I am looking for a deeper tone for start up and acceleration but I want it to be subdude while cruising on the freeway. What are your thoughts?
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
I would be interested as well.
I just had my Remus sport muffler installed on mine and it sounds great. Start up and heavy acceleration you hear it but cruising the freeway at 80 there is no droning sound at all. I did leave the FS on.
Do you have the Dinan stage 2 installed?
I am thinking about gettin the Dinan Free Flow Exhuast for my 2010 535i. I was wondering if anyone has done this to a car like mine and how happy they where with the sound? I am looking for a deeper tone for start up and acceleration but I want it to be subdude while cruising on the freeway. What are your thoughts?
No i do not have the Dinan Stage 1 or 2. I am not interested in getting the software upgrades at this time. This car is my daily cruiser so I just want the sound. But again I want that deeper tone when I start it and am accelerating. Once cruising on the freeway I want it to be subdude. Thank for all of the feedback so far.
I have the Dinan exhaust on my 2010 535. There is a mild drone at highway speeds but you get used to it and not notice it after a bit. Its not loud like some of the others out there where you need to raise your voice to talk to your passenger.
Since I do not have the stage 1 or 2 software like you do would that make my exhuast quiter or would that have no affect on it? I guess what I am asking on a scale of 1 to 10 how loud is your exhust when cruising on the freeway holding at 80mph with 10 being really loud and 1 being silent?
Not sure of your scale as it would be subjective, but from the exhausts I've heard, the least loudest would be the stock, followed by Remus, then Dinan, then Magnaflow and RPI, then Billy Boat as the loudest. The tune makes no difference.

Would others agree?
None of them are very loud. They do add a deep rumble, but nothing like that banshee wail of an M5. It's because of all the noise suppresion that happens upstream towards the engine. You have a set of downpipes stuffed with catalytic converters and a semi S-loop, then the mid pipe with another cat, then a set of mufflers at the end. So the noise that is originally generated from combustion in the engine goes through a torturous signal suppression path before it reaches the opening off the Y pipe in the rear and delivers the sound off the tips.

For me, part of the appeal of owning a luxury performance sedan is to have tons of power, while driving a quiet car. The engine note is audible, but heavily muted. I love that stealth aspect of the car. Would never mess with that. Besides it is fatigueing and boy racerish to drive around in a loud car. Who would ride with you? I would rather blow by a loud Mustang 5.0 and make him wonder WTF just happened. You know, that whoosh going by. That's just me. :dunno:
+1

I agree. However I have always loved how a Remus exhaust sounds on a bimmer and that damn mod bug bit me last week. The good thing is at cruising speed it is as loud as the stock exhaust. But even when I first take off the exhaust is only a little bit louder then stock.
None of them are very loud. They do add a deep rumble, but nothing like that banshee wail of an M5. It's because of all the noise suppresion that happens upstream towards the engine. You have a set of downpipes stuffed with catalytic converters and a semi S-loop, then the mid pipe with another cat, then a set of mufflers at the end. So the noise that is originally generated from combustion in the engine goes through a torturous signal suppression path before it reaches the opening off the Y pipe in the rear and delivers the sound off the tips.

For me, part of the appeal of owning a luxury performance sedan is to have tons of power, while driving a quiet car. The engine note is audible, but heavily muted. I love that stealth aspect of the car. Would never mess with that. Besides it is fatigueing and boy racerish to drive around in a loud car. Who would ride with you? I would rather blow by a loud Mustang 5.0 and make him wonder WTF just happened. You know, that whoosh going by. That's just me. :dunno:
Basically what I do not want is a popcorn exhaust. I just want a deep sound during startup and acceleration. After that I want it to be mute. I think I am going to move forward with getting the Dinan Free Flow exhaust. From all the people I have spoken to they say that is my best bet.
You really can't go wrong with a Dinan. :thumbup:
Basically what I do not want is a popcorn exhaust. I just want a deep sound during startup and acceleration. After that I want it to be mute. I think I am going to move forward with getting the Dinan Free Flow exhaust. From all the people I have spoken to they say that is my best bet.
I agree the Remus on the BMW's sound and look great. I had a Remus muffler on my 530xi and I loved it.

Do they make a complete system for the 535i? I would def want a throaty deep sound...
+1

I agree. However I have always loved how a Remus exhaust sounds on a bimmer and that damn mod bug bit me last week. The good thing is at cruising speed it is as loud as the stock exhaust. But even when I first take off the exhaust is only a little bit louder then stock.
Nope. They make the sport exhaust for the 550/545i and it works for our car. They will have to cut the exhaust right before the rear axle and weld on the muffler. If you really want throaty then have them chop of the FS and just fabricate exhaust tubing from there to the muffler.
I agree the Remus on the BMW's sound and look great. I had a Remus muffler on my 530xi and I loved it.

Do they make a complete system for the 535i? I would def want a throaty deep sound...
Hate to sound stupid by what so you mean cut the FS? What part I that
It's cool. FS is the front silencer, it a metal pack looking thing on your exhaust before your rear axle. It helps reduce exhaust noise.
Hate to sound stupid by what so you mean cut the FS? What part I that
What you are describing is what my Dinan exhaust sounds like very quiet until you get on it ,I was amazed how quiet running. Then it has a deep roar .
Hmmm won't throw any codes or void warranty??? If it does I may consider doing the Dinan free flow. I want deep throaty when it starts, deep and throaty when driving around but not annoying or "ricer" sound...
It's cool. FS is the front silencer, it a metal pack looking thing on your exhaust before your rear axle. It helps reduce exhaust noise.
Yeah I just ordered the dinan free flow exhuast from a local BMW dealership. I will let you know how it sounds once it gets installed.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.