BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Fellas,
I am thinking of getting performance engine software, cold air intake and stage 2 software and the free flow exhaust. I got the price of the hardware down, but does anyone know how much will the instillation labor will cost at the dinan authorized dealer. I want to know if I an afford it before I order the stuff. Thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sinh said:
Hey Fellas,
I am thinking of getting performance engine software, cold air intake and stage 2 software and the free flow exhaust. I got the price of the hardware down, but does anyone know how much will the instillation labor will cost at the dinan authorized dealer. I want to know if I an afford it before I order the stuff. Thanks
I suggest you call an authorized Dinan dealer in your neck of the wood. They'll be better suited to answer your question. Why dinan, just curious? Dinan isn't for the price conscious consumer. Dinan is marketed to the more affluent members of the BMW community; not necessarily enthusiast.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t mind spending the money; I just like to have a financial game plan whenever I am spending more than $1000 on anything. From my research I found that Dinan is the way to go if I want to make my 02 540 little quicker, I mean its fast as it is, however the cold air intake and the free flow exhaust and the performance engine software will give me better gas mileage, because I am spending way too much on gas with today’s gas prices. Do you have any suggestions of other performance brand that I should look into??? I appreciate your time and input.

·
82nd Airborne!
381 Posts
Hmm, I got the Dinan stage 2 software and a Cosmo racing CAI which is the exact same thing as the Dinan intake, plus it is only $155 shipped! Same performance! Also, thinking about a supersprint exhaust that is my next project. Dinan recently had 1/2 off their software which I took advantage, $299 for a stage 2 :)

·
Registered
872 Posts
I had the Dinan CAI stage II engine and transmission program done at Motorworkwest. Cost me 1546.54. Since you live in NJ i assume you would use them as well so it would be the exact same price(assuming you do it while they still have their 50% software promotion). I highly recommend the upgrade and Dave at MMW.:thumbup:

Pm me if you want to check it out live, we can meet up if you like.
ZM

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sinh said:
I don't mind spending the money; I just like to have a financial game plan whenever I am spending more than $1000 on anything. From my research I found that Dinan is the way to go if I want to make my 02 540 little quicker, I mean its fast as it is, however the cold air intake and the free flow exhaust and the performance engine software will give me better gas mileage, because I am spending way too much on gas with today's gas prices. Do you have any suggestions of other performance brand that I should look into??? I appreciate your time and input.
Don't get me wrong Dinan makes great products. A lot of R&D devoted to developing their products; however I still feel they're overpriced despite the fact that I have his stage II software and CAI. I opted for the eisenmann exhaust instead.

Having said all that if I was to do it all over I wont go the Dinan route. My reason is that Dinan's software are very conservative and overpriced. I know for a fact GIAC has a more aggressive ECU remapping than Dinan for about the same price. If you're still under manufacturer warranty then I understand the rationale to go Dinan. If warranty is over do some research and you'll find more comparable products for much less.

$1k for a Dinan Exhaust cat back! Give me a break.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
your guys are absolutley right Dinan is way too over priced, I mean cold air intake $599 and the software needed another $500:mad: , give me a break. I am so confused right now:dunno: . I dont know what to do. I love the reputation that Dinan has, but like your guys mentioned its overpriced. what can I do to improve the permoremance. Any suggestions.....

By the way I really appreciate your help...

·
in HIS hands :)
1,730 Posts
sinh,

my 2c for what it's worth...

dinan is overpriced, when compared to a lot of similar products. are they bad? well some are not worth the money, like the cai... some are worth its price, say the 50% off s/w or the 16k package for the e46 m3 s/c that gets it up to 462 hp!!! :yikes:

all the non s/c options do not really add any noticeable perf gains, truth be told. even the s/c, now that i have it, you lose a good 40 hp on a hot day!!!

**if** i were you, especially watching my money closely, i'd save it for a s/c. you're in a state where carb cert is a non issue, so the vf may work for you.

so if you want to spend some money, do the s/w, to optimize the shifting etc. dont bother with the exhaust - it's a whopping 5 hp gain on a good day. even the cai is not going to be worth real noticeable kick in the pants.

having blown a decent chunk of after-tax non-recoverable money, best bang for the buck, i say save up for a ltd slip diff. go to a 3.45, or even a 4.10, where you lose top end, but who goes 170 mph???

hope that helps.

jack

·
Registered
133 Posts
I guess power can be addictive, the more you have the more you want. 282 horses not enough? My suggestion will be to upgrade your suspension, then you'll be able to take advantage of ALL the power you already have. I can assure you, you're probably not maximizing the full potential of that M62 engine. If nothing else get wider sway bars.

Regarding CAI and software I'll suggest you do a search on roadly.org and you'll see the various options available. These engines are well tuned from the factory that in order to get any appreciable gains you'll have to shell out a lot of dough; short of forced induction of course.

·
Registered
133 Posts
In theory yes, the software remaps the ECU, hence making it more efficient provided you use high octane gasoline. However what happens in practicality is people tend to apply the throttle rather heavily therefore negating any gas mileage efficiency.

·
in HIS hands :)
1,730 Posts
Thornton said:
sorry to chime in
does the DINAN or any other manufacturers really help increase Gas mileage as well as performance?
the thing about increased gas mileage is just something we guys use to rationalize and justify our unnecessary purchases and mods. i dont think it crosses your mind after the mods are done.

and exactly on what m5next said. the only way my mpg stays in the 12-13mpg range is when i take my wife and girls out more often. left up to myself, might be in the 10 mpg category. then again, it's all recalculated bec my mpg counter is messed up after the s/c.

not too many pple, say moving up from a corolla, to a 540, will drive the 540 like the corolla. :rofl:

jack :rofl:

·
Registered
17 Posts
aw/ir02smg said:
not too many pple, say moving up from a corolla, to a 540, will drive the 540 like the corolla. :rofl:

jack :rofl:
thats the truth, moved up from a 89 S-10 pickup 4 banger to my 540:thumbup:

i am getting about 17-19 mpg in my 540

1 - 14 of 14 Posts