BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just as Performance Software dramatically changed the world of engine tuning, Shockware™ will forever change suspension tuning and now its available for the F30 335i.

description of the image or title here

With the wide spread use by BMW of the Electronic Damper Control (EDC) system, also known as the Adaptive M Suspension, throughout its most powerful models, DINAN has tuned it for ultimate performance. Match DINAN Shockware™ with a DINAN Performance Suspension System for superior handling in all driving conditions.

Since the introduction of the EDC system, DINAN has embraced the flexibility and performance that can be achieved by a suspension upgrade that leaves the Adaptive M Suspension system in place. With the addition of DINAN Shockware™ this solution takes another large step forward by also reprograming the damping curve of the damper itself.

The Adaptive M Suspension system works by monitoring sensors measuring all aspects of the BMWs behavior then analyzing them and adjusting the actuators in the shock absorbers, which, with the help of magnetic valves change their characteristics in a fraction of a second. DINAN Shockware™ reprograms the software making the adjustments to respond in a way that would have recently required purchasing a new performance set of dampers, thus drastically reducing the cost of a suspension upgrade.

The suspension mode control switch is fully functional with the setting upgraded for each mode. Every setting has become more performance based in how it reacts to changing road and driving conditions. The "Comfort" setting is now tuned to be the "Normal" setting, while the "Normal" setting is now tuned to be the "Sport" setting. The big change is when the BMW is set to "Sport" as that is the new DINAN high performance programing.

DINAN Shockware™ can be used as a stand alone upgrade. However, your BMW performs best when paired with the DINAN Performance Suspension System or any performance spring sets. The suspension upgrade software is loaded into the BMW the same way BMW loads and updates stock software. This software upgrade falls under the DINAN factory matching new car warranty of 4 year / 50,000 mile coverage.

Part Number: D906-3001 Dinan Shockware for F30 335i $399

Also available to enhance your F30's handling, Dinan F30 Performance Suspension Systems

description of the image or title here

Dinan's Performance Spring sets for F30 chassis BMW's provide greater control over body roll by virtue of carefully calibrated spring rates designed to work in conjunction with the original-equipment standard or Adaptive M Suspension (EDC) shocks and struts. Dinan lowers the 335i and 328i by 20mm (328i w/ xDrive by 25mm) front and rear for improved suspension geometry and an even more aggressive stance. The kit includes tuned, progressive rate bump stops. The Bump stops increase the suspension travel on the lowered car for improved handling capabilities and ride quality when compared to just a spring set. The Dinan springs are CNC wound with high tensile chrome silicon wire and shot peened for stress relief to last the life of the car.

The 30% increase in spring rate will reduce the rear suspension compression under acceleration and front suspension compression (or dive) under braking, giving your car a more controlled feel. The Dinan® performance springs with the progressive rate bump stops will also provide a noticeable improvement in grip, for high speed driving situations that will inspire confidence in your car's capabilities. The reduced body roll makes the steering more responsive to driver input and will be noticed at speeds as low as 20 mph, up to the top speed of the vehicle.

"Performance without the compromise to drivability or the refinement expected by a BMW owner. This is a Dinan Hallmark." -Car and Driver

Benefits of Dinan's F30 Performance Suspension Systems:
  • 335i and 328i are lowered 3/4" in front and 3/4" in back. 328i w/ xDrive is lowered by a full inch in front and back.
  • Includes front springs, rear springs, and four bumpstops.
  • Decreased body roll from 30% higher spring rates.
  • High tensile strength chrome silicon wire.
  • Shot-peened for stress relief.
  • Preset to prevent spring sag.
Part Numbers:

D190-3011
Performance Suspension System
for BMW F30 335i
Retail Price: $549.00

D190-3001
for BMW F30 328i
Retail Price: $499.00

D190-3031
for BMW F30 335i w/ xDrive
Retail Price: $549.00

D190-3021
for BMW F30 328i w/ xDrive
Retail Price: $499.00

For more information on these or other Dinan products, visit Dinancars.com.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The springs sound interesting. Since on an xdrive they will give you an inch. Just a bit more then regular sport susspention but not the crazy 1.75 inches of the H & R springs. These look like they will be the closest to getting 704 ride height on an xdrive. And the price is not too bad for a Dinan product looking at the competition and seeing as Dinan keeps warrenty. Now if these would work on a wagon.....

so the shockware thing is just a software tune for the dampers?

·
Registered
158 Posts
a couple of silly questions.

Does this work with the Dynamic Handling Package? will this affect the suspension warranty?

i am assuming the ride quality may suffer - any comments - i'd like to see the stance picts.

Thanks Dinan

·
Registered
13,462 Posts

With history as my guide, wait for other solutions.

In fact, gotta wonder if magneto-rheological shocks'll be right along....you know, like Corvette, Ferrari, et al.
Any idea what other solutions will be available? Magnetic shocks would be interesting, it may require coding though. The OEM M performance red springs look more sturdy than the Dinan ones.

A coworker is going with OEM MPSK installation, spring+strut $1600 parts only. Dinan has not yet released for F30, but the E90 and E60 stage 1 runs for $1800(parts only).

·
Registered
554 Posts
The Dinan web site says for a 335i xDrive F30, the parts cost is $549 for the springs and $399 for the ECU software = $948 total for parts.

For labor, Dinan says 8 hours labor / 10 hours installation time for the springs and 0.5 hours for the ECU s/w. I'm not current on labor costs for this type of work- can someone indicate what labor rate I would expect to pay / what the installation cost might be?

I assume I would have to plan on a 4 wheel alignment on top of this.

Thanks
Bruce

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi Bruce - i am by means no expert, but i'd expect a spring install to be a tad bit less.

in my 4ring days, spring installs would run 3-4 hundy. a little less if you got a deal. a little more at a high end tuner shop. i also cannot comment in the SW flash.

G/L

·
Banned
10,410 Posts
Any idea what other solutions will be available? Magnetic shocks would be interesting, it may require coding though. The OEM M performance red springs look more sturdy than the Dinan ones.

A coworker is going with OEM MPSK installation, spring+strut $1600 parts only. Dinan has not yet released for F30, but the E90 and E60 stage 1 runs for $1800(parts only).
Want a real suspension? Forget Dinan.

Good advice + product may be had at HP Autowerks and Ground Control.

NOTE: Ground Control has adjustable ride height.

·
Banned
10,410 Posts
I looked into magneto-rheological units for another vehicle - found Lord Corp. Can program my way - just my cop o'tea....but already have a very competent suspension for that, a Wrangler.

Shocks & springs hauled A all the way from Austrialia, off road heaven....if I switch to magneto-rheologicals it'll be for on-road/off-road control + comfort, configurable.

·
Registered
13,462 Posts
Thanks for the info, lots of interesting products. Looks like OEM MPSK+red springs are not too shabby provided it is installed by dealer with OEM warranty. Given the 704 is a bit harsh for my taste, I will keep motoring on the plush(E39-like) base suspension. :)

·
Registered
973 Posts
Magneto-rheological shocks and BMW's adjustable dampers are just two different ways of achieving the same effect, to change the damping ratio of a single shock/damper. The shock/damper still needs to receive the appropriate control input from whatever algorithm the controller is running based on the inputs it receives from various sensors. I'm thinking that the Dinan Shockware is that algorithm. The question in my mind is, did Dinan develop an entirely new algorithm for each sport/comfort setting or did they just increase the response in quantum steps (i.e. new "comfort" is old "sport" and new "sport" is old "sport" + 1)

·
Banned
10,410 Posts
Magneto-rheological shocks and BMW's adjustable dampers are just two different ways of achieving the same effect, to change the damping ratio of a single shock/damper. The shock/damper still needs to receive the appropriate control input from whatever algorithm the controller is running based on the inputs it receives from various sensors. I'm thinking that the Dinan Shockware is that algorithm. The question in my mind is, did Dinan develop an entirely new algorithm for each sport/comfort setting or did they just increase the response in quantum steps (i.e. new "comfort" is old "sport" and new "sport" is old "sport" + 1)
It is indeed software. Yup, looks like they took BMW's code, modified it some - called it "At last - up to Dinan standards!" - flogged it to ya'll.

But hey, Magneto-rheologicals are instantly & infinitely variable - fast enough to change viscosity at any point in shock travel. BMW adjustables?

Emoticon Yellow Facial expression Smiley Smile

·
Registered
973 Posts
It is indeed software. Yup, looks like they took BMW's code, modified it some - called it "At last - up to Dinan standards!" - flogged it to ya'll.

But hey, Magneto-rheologicals are instantly & infinitely variable - fast enough to change viscosity at any point in shock travel. BMW adjustables?

View attachment 439933
You're right. The most info I can find on the BMW adjustables is that controller controls the shock absorber valves. I'm guessing a mechanism contols the internal opening inside the damper allowing for more or less oil to pass through and thus adjusting its softness. If that's the case then the damper's resistance to motion can be adjusted at any point in its travel but there would be some small time delay to allow for the mechanical adjustment to the orifice opening.

·
Banned
10,410 Posts
You're right. The most info I can find on the BMW adjustables is that controller controls the shock absorber valves. I'm guessing a mechanism contols the internal opening inside the damper allowing for more or less oil to pass through and thus adjusting its softness. If that's the case then the damper's resistance to motion can be adjusted at any point in its travel but there would be some small time delay to allow for the mechanical adjustment to the orifice opening.
Things change fast in the world of shock travel....they're magnetic switches, which take oceans of time compared to a change in voltage/amperage.

Or am I wrong? As far as I know, there's a moving part.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.