BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may remember, some cars (mine being one of them) with the Dinan Stage 1 were having problems using the check engine oil system (it did not work). While some people did have the Dinan product removed, I did not and have stayed on top of them and wanted a solution not a refund. The local dealer (Thompson) has been absolutely amazing through all this (and they were not even the ones that sold me the car or the stage 1) and they are coming to my home on Monday to install a new stage 1 with an updated harness and software. Dinan believes this will solve the issues I am having. I said I would keep everyone informed, and I am. Will let you know what happens on Monday

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for this post. I am getting the Dinan stage one put in on Wednesday. I will have to check and see if the oil check still works afterwards.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They picked up the car yesterday (were kind enough to leave me a M235 Convertible which I told them to park and take the keys). They changed to Dinan unit but still no oil measurement possible, in fact they cannot even reset the service indicator, so they disconnected the harness (not removing unit and will let it sit and will try and see if they can get things to work today. They are being careful not you loose the coding, but I have feeling I will need Rich back when they are done. I cannot complain dealer is going above and beyond in my book!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car is still at dealer seems they cannot get the oil sensor to work (or reset service indicators) with the new Dinan harness, or for that matter without it hooked up at all. Last time they were able to get it to work but it only lasted a couple days. I am sure they will figure it out at some point.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
My car is still at dealer seems they cannot get the oil sensor to work (or reset service indicators) with the new Dinan harness, or for that matter without it hooked up at all. Last time they were able to get it to work but it only lasted a couple days. I am sure they will figure it out at some point.
If this is a known problem Dinan should address ASAP. There is no other way to check oil in these cars. Still will never understand why BMW eliminated the dipstick - simple, effective, cheap & foolproof. Prime example of over engineering.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Too bad I didn't catch this post earlier....could have saved you the trouble of doing the "updated harness". I went ALL through that plus much more....Dinan flew in etc... everyone was great but in the end, they could NOT get Dinan Stage 1 to play well with the 6er. I took it off. Oh well.

Don't think they will resolve this in the near future.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Wow, glad I went with the BMS mod. And for what Dinan charges that really is outrageous.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well I can't hardly defend Dinan, but I do like the fact or their approach. BMS just fools the system boost pressure. Dinan measures a number LOTS of metrics knock, air temp etc... and is a complete management system. I'm all in if it had worked...but as you mentioned, for cheap power and extra boost, BMS does it.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Well I can't hardly defend Dinan, but I do like the fact or their approach. BMS just fools the system boost pressure. Dinan measures a number LOTS of metrics knock, air temp etc... and is a complete management system. I'm all in if it had worked...but as you mentioned, for cheap power and extra boost, BMS does it.
I agree Dinan is a more sophisticated system, but of course it should be for the money. Guess I don't understand how the oil sensor issue didn't show up in their testing.

·
Registered
233 Posts
you know when I had mine first installed it took about a week for me to notice it....then it was on startup when the warning message stated "service due". But yup, how do you miss THAT...

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Too bad I didn't catch this post earlier....could have saved you the trouble of doing the "updated harness". I went ALL through that plus much more....Dinan flew in etc... everyone was great but in the end, they could NOT get Dinan Stage 1 to play well with the 6er. I took it off. Oh well.

Don't think they will resolve this in the near future.
Once warranty is expired, expect no help from BMW. It's all on Dinan after that.

Your sort of issues are more and more frequent as vehicles move to total microprocessor control - bandwidth is everything - engineers designing for high volume production will allow a performance envelope no larger than their own hardware will need. Adding 3rd party load to a bus easily results in timing errors and worse - in this case Dinan failed in their attempt to integrate.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it worked, everything is now fully functional. I cannot say enough good things about Thompson BMW, they went way above and beyond service wise to get this handled and they made sure my coding was not effected. Dinan just recently came out with a new fix for the problem, and I give them credit they did not give up trying to find a solution even though not all 6 series cars had the issues I did.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Well it worked, everything is now fully functional. I cannot say enough good things about Thompson BMW, they went way above and beyond service wise to get this handled and they made sure my coding was not effected. Dinan just recently came out with a new fix for the problem, and I give them credit they did not give up trying to find a solution even though not all 6 series cars had the issues I did.
Hey post again in a month. What exactly was done to resolve the problem?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry been a bit busy, have not had the chance to update this. It did work for about 2 days. Now it is back to the way it was. I cannot fault the dealer who is helping me, they have been amazing (they did not sell me the car of the stage 1), but my faith in Dinan as a company is gone. I would not advise anyone to buy their products.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Sorry been a bit busy, have not had the chance to update this. It did work for about 2 days. Now it is back to the way it was. I cannot fault the dealer who is helping me, they have been amazing (they did not sell me the car of the stage 1), but my faith in Dinan as a company is gone. I would not advise anyone to buy their products.
Be aware: Munich terminated their relationship with Dinan a BMW generation or two back. Steve Dinan left the company, what, 2 years ago?

Not surprising Dinan would have issues with BMW's computer bus driven system - the ECU is currently encrypted and system details are in limited disclosure for some pretty good reasons - vehicle is allowed for sale only if in compliance with US law. Tuners, famously, remapped the ECU when it was available to them, exceeding emissions limits. Even those who didn't violate, such as Dinan, were shut out of encrypted ECU's and went to piggyback chips like JB4. EPA & DOT got downright excited about tuning, especially in California, causing most vehicle manufacturers to take steps.

Secondary issue: In prep for autonomous operation, hacked vehicle code is perhaps the largest [liability] threat, thus encryption and restriction.

Point being: Dinan may never crack this issue a-cause they are blind men feeling their way around an unfamiliar room that may be constantly changing - they don't know of critical info. Munich knows, and they ain't talkin'!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well Thompson BMW picked up my car yesterday and they are removing the Dinan for good. They are even working on getting my money refunded (I did not even buy it from them). I cannot say enough good things about the way this dealer has treated me. Funny when I bought my Range Rover Sport V8 Autobiography back in March I just could not stop looking at the F type R, well I stopped in the dealer on Tuesday and decided to take a spin, probably not the best idea. I will be welcoming a 2017 Black/Black F type R coupe to the family probably early next week. Very impressive car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts