BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2006 X3 with the M3 sport package. I added the DINAN Performance Engine Software (Product Number: D900-31X) and am looking to add the following:

High Flow Throttle Body
Product Number: D760-3300A

Stage 3 Engine Software
Product Number: D903-31X3

Replacement Air Filter for High Flow Intake
Product Number: D401-0001

Does anyone have experience with these products? I think the first software upgrade was worth the $300. It raised the rev-limit by 240 rpm and removed the top speed governor. I can definitely feel the difference when driving.

· Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,286 Posts
I drive a 2006 X3 with the M3 sport package. I added the DINAN Performance Engine Software (Product Number: D900-31X) and am looking to add the following:

High Flow Throttle Body
Product Number: D760-3300A

Stage 3 Engine Software
Product Number: D903-31X3

Replacement Air Filter for High Flow Intake
Product Number: D401-0001

Does anyone have experience with these products? I think the first software upgrade was worth the $300. It raised the rev-limit by 240 rpm and removed the top speed governor. I can definitely feel the difference when driving.
Low end torque or just top speed?

· Registered
1,364 Posts
Before you spend money on

Before you spend money on a throttle body and CAI you better plan on a new exhaust system. Moving air through the engine does produce more power but simply trying to shove more air in with no way to exhaust it all will not yield much if any hp.

· Registered
'18 X5M, '14 X3, '08 M3 Vert
795 Posts
Before you spend money on a throttle body and CAI you better plan on a new exhaust system. Moving air through the engine does produce more power but simply trying to shove more air in with no way to exhaust it all will not yield much if any hp.
Have to agree.
The most you will gain out of all the Dinan add-ons is roughly 25 HP. So if you're looking for some bang for your buck, you may want to look for a forced induction solution. BMW did a pretty good job in getting most of the HP out of the normaly aspirated 3.0 liter engine. There is a Supercharger kit for the '04-06 3.0 engines, but at about $5K it is a chunk of change for around 100 HP. But the Dinan upgrades (with exhaust), I believe you are looking at at least $2k. Just a matter of how much power you are looking for, and what you are willing to spend to get it.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info guys. that is exactly what I was looking for. btw, who does these kind of installations (super charger kit, blower, etc...)? would my local dealership handle that kind of stuff or would i need to go to a bmw "performance" shop?

· Registered
1,364 Posts

4,286 Posts
http://downingatlanta.com/downingatlanta/da_superchargers_new.htm

Problem with the X3 is the lack of popularity that limits manufacturer's iinterest in producing something they can only sell a couple of.

Just remembered seeing this before-
http://www.koperformance.com/BMW/turbo_superchargers/
That and the fact that up until recently, the owners of most X3's were almost paranoid to make changes or upgrades.

I remember coming to this board over two years ago, and being labeled a pariah for wanting to change out the stereo system.

Now I get at least 2-3 pm's a week asking about changes and how to go about them.

Funny thing is now I have to think about how I am going to put it all back. The idea that the new X3 will be a little larger, have more power, alter the rear lights cosmetics to match the current X5, and still be a stick is very appealing.

But who knows, if they price it out of reach a 2-3k upgrade may not be so bad either.

· Registered
6,616 Posts
jl, not a stupid question at all! I suggest going over to the Dinan site (Dinan.com) and looking at what they offer. There is a Dinan dealer in the Pittsburg area on Forbes near Schenley Park and you could talk to Scott (800-341-5480) for recommendations. Remember this stuff is not cheap and you could be looking at nearly $10K when you are done with everything. You will of course have a rocket ship too:p. It might be cheaper to just get a nice used Porsche Cayenne Turbo and be done with it.:bigpimp:

4,286 Posts
jl, not a stupid question at all! I suggest going over to the Dinan site (Dinan.com) and looking at what they offer. There is a Dinan dealer in the Pittsburg area on Forbes near Schenley Park and you could talk to Scott (800-341-5480) for recommendations. Remember this stuff is not cheap and you could be looking at nearly $10K when you are done with everything. You will of course have a rocket ship too:p. It might be cheaper to just get a nice used Porsche Cayenne Turbo and be done with it.:bigpimp:
True----Porsche just got best rating from JD Powers if you subscribe to their methodology.

· Registered
'18 X5M, '14 X3, '08 M3 Vert
795 Posts
Is it possible (recommended) to do both: Dinan upgrades & Supercharger kit w blower? Is that ridiculous? I apologize in advance if thats a stupid question...I am new to this stuff. Thanks!
The ESS supercharger comes with it's own engine software, so it would be a waste of money to purchase the Dinan software that would just be overwritten. It also comes with it's own CAI. The throttle body may be something that would help the SC though.

If I were to do it, I would install the SC first, then see if the TB would be a benefit or not. Next would be a free-flowing exhaust (cat-back) to help the SC breath a bit better. If you are forcing the air in, you need a better exhaust...but it probably is not totally necessary at the 6 psi of the ESS supercharger.

· Registered
64 Posts
I also have an 06 and am interested in performance upgrades. If you don't mind me asking how much did that lot cost you?

Stuart.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.