BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have had my 2004 M3 SMG for about 9-10 months. The second week I owned it I put on a K&N Air Intake. The "Generation II FIPK". I noticed a small difference in lower torque. So last week my check engine light came on. I took it in to the dealership.

They explained I had air and fuel ratio problems, i had to bring my stock intake in and they put it back on. The problem was fixed.

Well My options are either to leave it stock or buy the Dinan stage 3 software upgrade that is designed to a Dinan intake. I would use my k & N intake, and hope it the problem doesnt come back.

Has anyone bought and used this intake before? Have they ever had problems?
Any People out there that have used the Dinan Software with another type of intake other then Dinan?

Please help I have to make the Choice today!

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK I have had my 2004 M3 SMG for about 9-10 months. The second week I owned it I put on a K&N Air Intake. The "Generation II FIPK". I noticed a small difference in lower torque. So last week my check engine light came on. I took it in to the dealership.

They explained I had air and fuel ratio problems, i had to bring my stock intake in and they put it back on. The problem was fixed.

Well My options are either to leave it stock or buy the Dinan stage 3 software upgrade that is designed to a Dinan intake. I would use my k & N intake, and hope it the problem doesnt come back.

Has anyone bought and used this intake before? Have they ever had problems?
Any People out there that have used the Dinan Software with another type of intake other then Dinan?

Please help I have to make the Choice today!
We use stock airbox w/K&N drop ins with our software and never have any problems, just a great kick in performance.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The stock airbox is actually great, all you need is a panel filter. I have a Streamline, love it.

I can't speak to your dealers diagnosis. However, it's not uncommon for the filter oil in a K&N to contaminate the MAF, especially if you've cleaned it and re-oiled it recently. If they cleaned the MAF (takes less than 5 minutes) and replaced the stock box, that could be the issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts