BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Guys, I need some help. I just called Life Quality BMW in Brooklyn to do the engine & tranny software installs. the guy quoted me the 50% prices but went crazy on labor, almost 2 hours. He quoted $402 for the S2 Engine Software installed & $270 for the Tranny Software installed. The total for the 2 pieces of software is $475, leaving labor at $197. Thats crazy, it shouldnt be more than 30 mins for the installs, most is 1 hour.

Does anyone have any recommendations in the NYC area for Dinan installs. I need to get this done before Aug 1 when the 50% discount expires.

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
i heard the discount was extended past august 1.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, dinanbmw.com says through August, but I am unsure if that means until August 1 or 31. Any case, screw Life Quality, I need to find another place to get the software installed and not get raped on labor. Any suggestions within the tri-state area?

·
I glow in the dark
580 Posts
ArCaDe said:
Well, dinanbmw.com says through August, but I am unsure if that means until August 1 or 31. Any case, screw Life Quality, I need to find another place to get the software installed and not get raped on labor. Any suggestions within the tri-state area?
when you find a place that can do it for a discount, can you also let me know ? because I would love to do a dinan upgrade as well.

·
Registered
793 Posts
ArCaDe said:
I would call Motorworks West (http://www.motorworkswest.com) in NJ. I had my Dinan engine SW installed there in 9/03 and they were very good.

Hope this helps...JL

·
Pastafarian Extraordinair
2,347 Posts
FTIW, I watched my mechanic "install" the Dinan stage 1 software in my car and it took him about 20 minutes... and that's because he fat fingered the computer and had to start from the begining twice.

I would report that dealership to Dinan. From what I heard, Dinan sets a specific labor unit rate for all of it's installs (including software). They should be aware that there is a shop that is gouging customers on the labor.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just called Wide World of Cars in NJ, they said $515 + tax which would total $546. Thats more like it but it's an hour drive, but its a huge difference compared to $672.

·
I glow in the dark
580 Posts
ArCaDe said:
Just called Wide World of Cars in NJ, they said $515 + tax which would total $546. Thats more like it but it's an hour drive, but its a huge difference compared to $672.
wide world of cars thats in upstate not new jersey right ?

Wide World of Cars
125 East Route 59
Spring Valley, NY 10977
Phone: (845) 425-2600

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Opps, my mistake thought it was NJ, it actually seems to be upstate NY because the directions direct to go towards GWB. I thought it was NJ because I saw GWB:

Merge onto I-678 N via EXIT 7 toward WHITESTONE BR (Portions toll). 8.3 miles Map

8: Merge onto I-95 S / CROSS BRONX EXPY toward GEO WASHINGTON BR / TRIBORO BR. 5.5 miles Map

9: Keep LEFT to take I-95 S / US-1 S toward G W BRIDGE / UPPER LEVEL BRIDGE ONLY (Crossing into NEW JERSEY). 1.7 miles Map

10: Take the PALISADES PARKWAY exit- EXIT 74. 0.5 miles Map

11: Merge onto PALISADES INTERSTATE PKWY N (Crossing into NEW YORK). 18.6 miles Map

12: Merge onto I-287 W / I-87 N / NEW YORK STATE THRUWAY N via EXIT 9W toward ALBANY. 2.0 miles Map

13: Take the RT-59 exit- EXIT 14- toward SPRING VALLEY / NANUET. 0.4 miles Map

14: Turn RIGHT onto NY-59 / KOREAN WAR VETERANS MEMORIAL HWY. 0.4 miles Map

15: End at 125 Route 59
Spring Valley, NY 10977-5201, US

·
Registered
243 Posts
I got quoted $370 for the stage II only, but I am in Ohio. You should call the first place up and tell them the price you got for the other place and ask them why they charge so much.

d00d

Is that clip for real? That chick can curl 180lbs plus!

·
I glow in the dark
580 Posts
f155mph said:
I got quoted $370 for the stage II only, but I am in Ohio. You should call the first place up and tell them the price you got for the other place and ask them why they charge so much.

d00d

Is that clip for real? That chick can curl 180lbs plus!
thats probably.. plastic ^^, heck I really doubt she can curl that much, even when I tried to curl 1 45lbs plate on each side my veins are goshing out and about to explode my face is turning to a pepper.

·
Registered
793 Posts
ArCaDe said:
Before making the trip to Spring Valley, call Motorworks West to compare prices. It's closer to NYC than Spring Valley. You can also fill up on the cheaper gas while in NJ.

Regards...JL

·
Registered
676 Posts
ArCaDe said:
Look at the bright side.. it's an hour drive back WITH the dinan upgrades! :thumbup:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems like Wide World or Cars & MotorWorksWest are both the same distance from me but they arent near each other. I wish LifeQuality would just be fair with the price being that I live 4 blocks away from them. I will call them and tell him about the better prices I got and see what he says.

·
I glow in the dark
580 Posts
ArCaDe said:
Seems like Wide World or Cars & MotorWorksWest are both the same distance from me but they arent near each other. I wish LifeQuality would just be fair with the price being that I live 4 blocks away from them. I will call them and tell him about the better prices I got and see what he says.
sounds like a plan.. pls let me know what happens , because I would also like my car upgraded with the dinan softwares since its 50% off ^^.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will update you once I have more info. The guy from Wide World of Cars says the discount is upto August 31st. I will contact Dinan directly to confirm.

·
aka Turd Ferguson
1,406 Posts
not to HiJack the thread but regarding the chick CURLING 4x 45lbs plates...2 on each side. I have to call BS. There is NOOO way she can do that.

At my buffest...I could curl about 155 lbs using the olympic bar. Now using the curl bar, I can probably do the 45s but yeah...it would take a "little" effort and she is curling it just waaaay too easily!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just an update. Spoke to the guy from WWoC and he said it is upto August 31st. They can do it for me anytime during the week or next Saturday. I work during the week so I will wait until next Saturday at 10am.

I called the @$$ from Life Quality & he states there labor rate is $115. So I guess he is going by the book per software. Since both are being installed at the same time it shouldn't take long but oh well, he just lost a customer. Even if he dropped the price by $100 I would have done it since they are so close and it would save me on gas for having to take an hour trip.

·
I glow in the dark
580 Posts
ArCaDe said:
Just an update. Spoke to the guy from WWoC and he said it is upto August 31st. They can do it for me anytime during the week or next Saturday. I work during the week so I will wait until next Saturday at 10am.

I called the @$$ from Life Quality & he states there labor rate is $115. So I guess he is going by the book per software. Since both are being installed at the same time it shouldn't take long but oh well, he just lost a customer. Even if he dropped the price by $100 I would have done it since they are so close and it would save me on gas for having to take an hour trip.
I guess I will do mine after yours ^^, please update on performance and your feeling after the upgrade. I will do it the week after yours if everything goes well.

·
Registered
872 Posts
motorworkswest

Get a hold of Dave(the owner) of motorworkswest. I had mine there and the service is so good, i took a second car there. I dont recall the exact cost, but i know it wasnt as much as you noted above. You will love it. A software update takes less then 15 minutes...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.