1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
Interesting. I was hoping for just re-programming, not replacement shocks and springs. This is around $2k including parts and labor.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
how many dinan points :)

edit: 5 points.

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Interesting. I was hoping for just re-programming, not replacement shocks and springs. This is around $2k including parts and labor.
Seems like it doesn't include reprogramming at all and that the same kit is used for both the standard and edc suspension. Weird, since I think the other suppliers like ACS have separate springs for edc and passive suspension.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Are you going for a DINAN badge?
i have enjoyed both stage 1 and 2 and if i get to 10 points i do not see why i wont badge it. if this also solves the issue that solstice elucidates so well, and that i agree with, btw, then i think it is the most important mod so far.

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
Not for 535. :thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

Why no love for the 535 crew?

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Seems like it doesn't include reprogramming at all and that the same kit is used for both the standard and edc suspension. Weird, since I think the other suppliers like ACS have separate springs for edc and passive suspension.
I was surprised by the lack of programming, but Dinan did do one thing no one else has done for the F10: provide new shock mounts so that the OEM shock still have the same travel. With HR, ACS, and RDS, you have a lower ride height and the shocks are always compressed by one inch resulting is less travel and shortend shock life. So basically with Dinan, the car sits 1/2" lower, it has stiffer springs, and there is no change relative to the shock operation.

Here's my correction: Only the front shocks retains there original travel. There isn't a new rear shock mount.

P.S. I believe RDS has a set of softer springs for the adaptive drive F10, but HR & ACS are the same for both types of shocks.

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not for 535. :thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

Why no love for the 535 crew?
Ouch! Sorry, but I didn't even think to look for the 535. Maybe they will release it next. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
forgive my ignorance, but does travel mean same ground clearence?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm assuming it will be fine w/ the 550ix (vs. the 550i)????

·
Registered
1,792 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
forgive my ignorance, but does travel mean same ground clearence?
I mean the distance the shock absorb moves (travels) up and down. By providing a new mount which offsets the shock's mounting position by the same amount, Dinan is allowing the front shocks to operate as if there was no change in ride height. If you had a set of HR springs mounted, your car would sit a little more than a inch closer to the ground and your shock would always be compressed that additional inch or so. In theory this could mean the shock would bottom out before the spring bottomed out. Thus, shorterning the shock life.

·
Registered
75 Posts
$1000.00 is a little step, IMO. If I could get a car club discount I would feel better. I wonder how much for install? I like that it only drops it 1/2 inch.

Where's the exhaust? That's what I'm waiting for!

·
Registered
152 Posts
$1000.00 is a little step, IMO. If I could get a car club discount I would feel better. I wonder how much for install? I like that it only drops it 1/2 inch.

Where's the exhaust? That's what I'm waiting for!
Suspension install is quoted @ 7.5hrs. Shop time at BMW here is $125/hr ..... almost another grand to have this done

BMW emailed me 2 weeks ago about Dinan's "new to be released" Free-Flow exhaust system for the 550i/xi. Has optional polished OR black tips. COST INSTALLED *CANADA* = $4,100 (Dinan will begin shipping exhaust late Nov or early Dec)

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The exhaust sounds nice, but I'm not sure if I want give up the stealthiness of the stock exhaust. The upgrade (after the springs) I'm wanting for is the CAI.

I tried to set up an appointment for the springs with Tischer yesterday, but no one could answer if I needed to preorder the parts or not.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts