BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Paul Robertson and I am a design engineer for Dinan. I am here to answer technical questions you may have. I will try to answer all reasonable questions however please be patient because it may take me a few days to do it. Writing well researched and in depth responses can take a bit of time. We realize that this is a community and we would like to contribute to it as well as promote Dinan products. I look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers
Paul

·
Retired Official Welcomer
2018 M4 Competition Package•2019 540i MSport
8,358 Posts
How soon will Dinan have a package like the E39 S1 for the 550i's. Thanks for being here. :thumbup:

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm really interested on the body kit you guys have for the 02-05 7-series. Can you possibly let me know with what you can do for me, and direct me to the link to the body kit. Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was thinking of getting the Performance Stage 3 Software for my 2004 325xi. I have a Dinan Intake, Throttlebody, and Exhaust.

My question is how come this software doesnt seem to produce any hp or tq compared to others out there? In addition how does installing this software affect my gas mileage afterwards? Can you quote me a service charge? I tried Dinan of Mountain view but they were going to charge me $130 for 10 units of labor, but I saw on the website that the software is 5 units of labor for my 325xi (01-06)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Paul,
A lot of e60 545 owners have been waiting a long time for Dinan to release the software to remap the ECU. Do you have a timetable for when it will be released?

Also, I'll ask for the 550 owners as well. When will a remapped ECU be available for the 550s?

Thanks,
Jiio

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for asking that all-important question Jiio.

Paul,
As Felipe Escuton will tell you, I bug him frequently for updates on the ECU remap as well as the air mass meter that's supposed to be released to complement your intake for the E60. Any updates would be greatly appreciated. I know your E60 test car already has the software running and Felipe told me great things so GIVE IT TO US!!!!!!!! hahaha

BTW, I assume you know that Felipe is one of your sales guy in Morgan Hill. Tell him Tony says hi.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bmwstephen
I am working on an answer and will have it in a few days

jiio & EuroCarFan

We appreciate your enthusiasm for our product and we are working as fast as we can to deliver a quality product. With the complication and complexity it can take quite a bit of R & D time. It is very difficult to predict when the products will be available, until then you will have to keep bugging Felipe ;)
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a 2000 323i that I bought used with stage II software, CAI and upper tie bar. If I buy a different BMW, is there any way to "transfer" my Dinan software? (may be same engine or different engine or different model BMW.) Thanks.

·
Casey!
17,665 Posts
I have no technical question at all. I just wanna welcome you to the 'fest...smart move coming over here where the BMW IQ (and maturity level) dwarfs the other boards :D

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
hockeynut said:
I have no technical question at all. I just wanna welcome you to the 'fest...smart move coming over here where the BMW IQ (and maturity level) dwarfs the other boards :D
:stupid:

If we must say so ourselves. (Of course, you are correct, but why does our "agreement" symbol have the word "stupid" in it?)

From the lack of responses from the Dinan Engineer, perhaps this thread should be re-titled "Stump the Dinan Engineer."

·
Registered
115 Posts
Actually, I think calling commenting on other people's lower maturity level, for no apparent reason, speaks to someone's own maturity level, or lack thereof. I'm on other boards too and this is the first time I've read comments like these. Maybe I don't know the context of the statement but it seems irrelevant to this thread.

Anyway, back to the original topic. jiio, I got a message back from Felipe and he said the 545 software is still under testing with no firm release date in site. However, he said the mass air meter should be out really soon. But I think the mass air meter is meant to complement their cold air intake so I'm not sure if it'll do anything as a stand alone upgrade. Just thought I'd provide some updates from my end.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Hi Paul, great to see you on Bimmerfest.

I'm interested in your performance software for my 2003 (03/03 build) 330i ZHP. I'm interested in one thing - better drive-by-wire response.

Unfortunately it looks like it's only 49-state legal. Any plans to CARB-itize this software?

Kris
San Jose

·
Registered
674 Posts
EuroCarFan said:
Anyway, back to the original topic. jiio, I got a message back from Felipe and he said the 545 software is still under testing with no firm release date in site. However, he said the mass air meter should be out really soon. But I think the mass air meter is meant to complement their cold air intake so I'm not sure if it'll do anything as a stand alone upgrade. Just thought I'd provide some updates from my end.
Thanks for the update, EuroCarFan. I'll just keep sitting by waiting patiently...

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
Paul, I don't mean to be a curmudgeon, but of course I am.

You come on here a little over a week ago and your first three answers are, basically: (1) from 2-10 months, we aren't sure. (2) We don't do those. And, my favorite, (3) Ask someone else (Felipe). No suibstantive questions have been answered. I know you said it will take time, but . . . come on! :dunno:

Are you a designer of Dinan products, too?

·
Casey!
17,665 Posts
EuroCarFan said:
Actually, I think calling commenting on other people's lower maturity level, for no apparent reason, speaks to someone's own maturity level, or lack thereof. I'm on other boards too and this is the first time I've read comments like these. Maybe I don't know the context of the statement but it seems irrelevant to this thread.
You are correct, it probably was irrelevant to this thread. I guess my point was that people on this board seem to be more the target market than folks on some of the other boards.

The folks on bimmerfest seem to be an older crowd (you can read that as more mature if you like) and aren't as interested in things like 22" wheels, dropping vehicles until the exhaust scrapes the ground, and recording how many Mustang "kills" they had last night. And for a company like Dinan, that's a good crowd for them to focus on. That's all I meant.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ganseg
Software cannot be moved from vehicle to vehicle.

sandman512
It depends on the specific car and software level.
To see what the emissions status of a product go to our Price & App guide (http://www.dinancars.com/price.asp) after the product there is notes like <1> , <2b> that are referenced in the back of the guide denoting the current emissions status.

KrisL
There is an application in process with the ARB. It is hard to predict when it will be 50 state legal but the process is in motion. As mentioned above the emissions status of a vehicle can be looked up in our price app guide, including if an EO application has been submitted.

bmwstephen & Malibubimmer
Thanks for your patience. This is a complicated and important question. As such I am running it by Steve Dinan who is currently a featured speaker at October Fest. We want to give a complete and in depth response. I will have an in depth response up by the end of the week.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts