BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The door on our X3 got a parking lot ding two years ago right on the ridge 3" under the window. took it to a dent repair shop and they fixed it beautifully. Ive made a point of careful parking since, end of line, beside a disabled spot, but yesterday an ignoramus got us again
Parked at the end of line, right at the curb, over two feet to the next spot, similar hit right on that body line, paint mark and a good sized dent.
Will take it back to the same shop for the repair

·
Registered
10,704 Posts
People to that on purpose. That's why I keep a beater. I have a long list of places where I will not take a BMW:

Schools
Courthouse-Jail Complex
Movie Theaters (they know you'll be gone two hours)
Walmart
Tourist areas (people act differently when they're away from home)
Bars
Strip Clubs
Anyplace near the 'hood
Fast Food Restaurants
Motel 6
Nursing Homes (old people have huge cars and can't park them right)

I live in a tourist area. Last year, I only drove my BMW about 1500 miles during the tourist season (late-May through early-September), and it was pretty much in the garage during March (spring break for the colleges).

I probably have only one more expensive car in me. (I'm old and keep cars a long time.) I hope it will be a 911. We've moving to the foothills of the Smokey Mountains. My plan it to pretty much use that car for scenic drives through the mountains, and then back in the barn it goes.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, we have an 01 330ci cabby, never winter driven, it's in the garage as well. But the `09 X3 is our daily driver until it quit, blows up or isn't worth fixing. It's in great shape, but it's also been a PITA since 100K Km's. Both long paid for it's cheaper to throw a couple grand at the X3 than buying another vehicle but that time will come. I found a great shop in Markham that does dent repair at reasonable rates, it looks super so I'll spend a few bucks to keep it that way

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mine got dinged on the drivers door when I left it at a self park lot at the airport. Left it at an isolated spot. I was gone for 4 weeks so I didn’t bother asking them to review the CCTV footage for the duration I was gone as I’ll be wasting their time and my time for something small . I have yet to get it fixed.

I once dinged an old Corolla way back then. It was a windy day and as soon as I opened my door it opened straight into his car . I waited for the owner and he said it’s a beater car and doesn’t care lol

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
10,704 Posts
I only park my BMW in end spots and then I hug the side curb. It's easiest to back into a end spot with the curb on the right (passenger) side of the car. Before Surround View, I could watch the curb with the right sideview mirror pointed down low, to prevent scraping my wheels on the curb.

Two of my "BWW approved" restaurant parking lots have recently become full when I go there. So, those places have a good change to being downgrade to "Cobalt approved" parking lots. I also schedule my meals to be during the off-peak times to increase the chance of getting a "sincere" parking space.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Got it fixed again, bigger dent a bit more coin, $150. Big City Auto Care in Markham, busy shop, moved two cars to get ours in. Father and son owners, Brandon is the dent genius great people. LOL how do I change "Mein Auto" both those cars are long gone

·
Registered
10,704 Posts
Mine got dinged on the drivers door when I left it at a self park lot at the airport. Left it at an isolated spot. I was gone for 4 weeks so I didn’t bother asking them to review the CCTV footage for the duration I was gone as I’ll be wasting their time and my time for something small . I have yet to get it fixed.

I once dinged an old Corolla way back then. It was a windy day and as soon as I opened my door it opened straight into his car . I waited for the owner and he said it’s a beater car and doesn’t care lol

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Airports are a bad place to leave a car: dings, vandalism, hail, sunlight, acid rain, etc.

Almost all of my air travel was for business. Most of the places I want to go are within driving distance. I'd either take a cab to the airport and get reimbursed for the fare, or have Frau Putzer carry me if she wasn't working when I needed to leave or get picked up. With the latter, I got reimbursed for the her miles.

I was in ATL's parking garage once and saw a 911 parked in long term parking. It had the seat moved back as far as it could go, which is a Hell of along way in a 911. I figured it belonged to an NBA player, and the 911 was his "airport beater."

·
Registered
10,704 Posts
The first time I got paintless dent repair (PDR) was back in the early 1990's. They guy met me at a Toyota dealership. They had a one-car garage that he'd work in, and he wouldn't let anybody watch him. He told me to go wait in the showroom and he'd come get me when he was finished. That took less than five minutes, and he charged $75. He was worried that I was mad about how much he charged and how little time it took. I told him I wasn't mad, but that I was deliriously happy because my car is almost new again. But, I did tell him that was the fastest I've ever seen somebody make $75 with their clothes on.

The BMW dealership I use has a sub-contractor to do PDR, and he's amazing. Frau Putzer set a new record with her new X3, how fast she can get the first ding. Her old record was 14 days. She did this one in six days. The ding was in the rear wheel well lip, and literally six inches long. The guy worked on it for two hours, and had the dealership take out the upholstery in the cargo area so he could get at it without drilling any holes. He charged $200, and the dealership charged about $100 for doing the upholstery in-and-out.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Airports are a bad place to leave a car: dings, vandalism, hail, sunlight, acid rain, etc.

Almost all of my air travel was for business. Most of the places I want to go are within driving distance. I'd either take a cab to the airport and get reimbursed for the fare, or have Frau Putzer carry me if she wasn't working when I needed to leave or get picked up. With the latter, I got reimbursed for the her miles.

I was in ATL's parking garage once and saw a 911 parked in long term parking. It had the seat moved back as far as it could go, which is a Hell of along way in a 911. I figured it belonged to an NBA player, and the 911 was his "airport beater."

I almost always park at the airport because I feel it’s more likely to get damaged at home. I go for the indoor, secured parking when it’s a work related trip as they reimburse it but if not I use the outdoor lot. It’s still secured by fence and security guards so it’s still relative safe.

If you’re surprised on how far back a 911 seat goes, you should see a Smart ForTwo. The seat goes a surprisingly huge amount back for such a tiny car. It actually goes back more than a seat of a Grand Caravan.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
where da clutch at ?
BMW 128i Convertible E88 N52B Executive Package
2,782 Posts
Strip club lolololol

people to that on purpose. That's why i keep a beater. I have a long list of places where i will not take a bmw:

Schools
courthouse-jail complex
movie theaters (they know you'll be gone two hours)
walmart
tourist areas (people act differently when they're away from home)
bars
strip clubs
anyplace near the 'hood
fast food restaurants
motel 6
nursing homes (old people have huge cars and can't park them right)

i live in a tourist area. Last year, i only drove my bmw about 1500 miles during the tourist season (late-may through early-september), and it was pretty much in the garage during march (spring break for the colleges).

I probably have only one more expensive car in me. (i'm old and keep cars a long time.) i hope it will be a 911. We've moving to the foothills of the smokey mountains. My plan it to pretty much use that car for scenic drives through the mountains, and then back in the barn it goes.

·
where da clutch at ?
BMW 128i Convertible E88 N52B Executive Package
2,782 Posts
NEVER had that happen to me in last 3 (?) years of driving my 1'er

1 - 11 of 11 Posts