BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this recently on my 2002 530i.

When I first pull dipstick, even after car has been sitting for days, it is covered in oil all the way up to top of plastic "bulb." But when I reinsert it to check oil, it reads correctly only up to at max level. (As noted on attached picture)

Is this a clogged double walled dipstick tube issue? Or CCV? Or normal and I just didnt notice till now!

The engine generally burns very little oil (maybe 1 quart/3000miles). Haven't noticed that consumption has increased recently. Also there's no suction when I remove oil fill cap while running.

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts
Only a M54 owner would call 1-qt every 3K "normal" oil consumption. LOL!

You guessed it. It's the CCV, which drains into the dipstick tube. Please Google search "m54 ccv" and query the most useful post(s) you find. No point in starting another one here ;)

·
Registered
326 Posts
I noticed this recently on my 2002 530i.

When I first pull dipstick, even after car has been sitting for days, it is covered in oil all the way up to top of plastic "bulb." But when I reinsert it to check oil, it reads correctly only up to at max level. (As noted on attached picture)

Is this a clogged double walled dipstick tube issue? Or CCV? Or normal and I just didnt notice till now!

The engine generally burns very little oil (maybe 1 quart/3000miles). Haven't noticed that consumption has increased recently. Also there's no suction when I remove oil fill cap while running.
Do the PCV mod has done wonders for me 10$ and I was set no more oil consumption except for m54 piston rings LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
163 Posts
On the M54 (and pretty much all BMW motors) pull the dipstick, clean it, then check the oil level. It's very very very common to have overly high readings due to "slosh" when driving.

·
BMW CCA 69606
2,210 Posts
My M52TU & M54 do this occasionally. If you check level immediately after stopping it's normal. If you check it after engine has cooled completely, it's like the OP describes. It seems like there is a vacuum in the crankcase that draws oil up the dipstick tube. There is a lot of water vapor in the crankcase fumes, particularly in M54 engines with their leaking rings. As engine cools this water vapor will condense resulting in vacuum in crankcase. Pulling the dipstick breaks the vacuum and oil drains back into the pan. I've been tempted to remove the oil fill cap when I park to see if oil level is normal in the morning.

·
Nothing to read here...
2,694 Posts
Completely normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts