BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Dipstick extremely difficult to remove

10436 13
Every time I try to check the oil in my car the dipstick looks stuck.. like there is some sort of pressure that holds it. Is this a sign of a failing ccv?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Mine is just the same, but didn't think it's some problem... bit annoying yes, but i can get it off when just pulling bit harder.
here too. i twist it a little as I pull it out
Count me in as another vote for "that's normal."
normal, mine does the same thing
Same here - there are two gaskets there which provide a very tight seal!
Before you put the dipstick back in, lube the o-ring near the handle with some good quality oil. Those o-rings tend to bind a bit when coming out, so lube it up a bit. Twisting will also help as others have mentioned.
I do the same. Makes it easier to get out. ( that's what she said ).
here too. i twist it a little as I pull it out
+1 to the twist. I've scraped knuckles a few times otherwise. I know it's not the CVV as there's no "whoosh" when I take the oil filler cap off...
same here believe its normal
There's always time for lubrication.

Both e46 dipsticks are the same, twist and pull.
Before you put the dipstick back in, lube the o-ring near the handle with some good quality oil. Those o-rings tend to bind a bit when coming out, so lube it up a bit. Twisting will also help as others have mentioned.
Thanks for the replys everyone. It is strange, but my father's 320i (1995cc M52TU) does not do that. Strange.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.