King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
No dipstick.

Yet? Not ever.

·
Registered
14 Posts
mjreddy said:
Oil levels can be checked via iDrive... if you don't get iDrive, i guess you're fu*ked
With or without I-drive, you can still check the oil level electronically. If you don't have I-drive, you can press the button on the edge of the turn stalk near the steering wheel (labeled "BC") to show the oil level on the on-board computer display. The oil level appears on the panel between the tach and the speedo. To see a video of how it works, check out this site:

http://www.bmwusa.com/BMW2003/Templ...C26D2A4}&NRCACHEHINT=Guest&source=new3&bhcp=1

Click on "Explore the All-New 3 Series". then on "Sleeker", then "Instrument panel" and "Watch the video to learn more". Toward the end of the video, you'll see an example of how you can check the oil level.

While this may not be the same as a dipstick, at least there is an alternative way to check it. What bothers me much more is the lack of a temperature gauge. Does anyone know if there is a way to check the temperature level (through I-drive, perhaps)?

·
only one screen name
8,456 Posts
mjreddy said:
Oil levels can be checked via iDrive... if you don't get iDrive, i guess you're fu*ked
pull on the the I-drive knob REEEALLY hard... it'll be a dipistick attached to it... leading directly into the engine compartment.... :dunno:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ron323i said:
With or without I-drive, you can still check the oil level electronically. If you don't have I-drive, you can press the button on the edge of the turn stalk near the steering wheel (labeled "BC") to show the oil level on the on-board computer display. The oil level appears on the panel between the tach and the speedo. To see a video of how it works, check out this site:

http://www.bmwusa.com/BMW2003/Templ...C26D2A4}&NRCACHEHINT=Guest&source=new3&bhcp=1

Click on "Explore the All-New 3 Series". then on "Sleeker", then "Instrument panel" and "Watch the video to learn more". Toward the end of the video, you'll see an example of how you can check the oil level.

While this may not be the same as a dipstick, at least there is an alternative way to check it. What bothers me much more is the lack of a temperature gauge. Does anyone know if there is a way to check the temperature level (through I-drive, perhaps)?
i've heard that there is no temperature reading.... that you are just supposed to go by the variable red line on the tachometer... that supposedly adjusts as the car "warms up"... i know that's unsatisfactory to most, but all that ive heard is available

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
So you actually get LESS info with iDrive, or is that entry selectable to get the level?

And FWIW modern BMW coolant temp gauges are about as useful as a single light.

·
.oo=||=oo.
1,126 Posts
Kaz said:
... is that entry selectable to get the level?...
The video didn't show that, but I believe that it is selectable.

BTW, that "Explore the All-New 3 Series" Flash site is really cool. I'm getting a new appreciation for the E90 as a result.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
hmr said:

BTW, that "Explore the All-New 3 Series" Flash site is really cool. I'm getting a new appreciation for the E90 as a result.
I don't have any interest in the E90. I'm waiting for the one for the next MINI.

·
Registered
68 Posts
hmr said:

yeah, that site's cool, but they have been MADDDDDD slow to update it... the last three buttons say available in April, but they're still not up, it's APRIL 6th!!!! and one of those was supposed to be available march, and they just changed it to april....

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
So I woudn't be able to change the oil myself with my Mityvac pump? :mad:

·
Registered
438 Posts
JetBlack330i said:
So I woudn't be able to change the oil myself with my Mityvac pump? :mad:
I just bought one of those recently for my '03. Guess I'll have to do it the old fashioned way if I buy an E90 at some point. One of these days I expect the hood to just be sealed shut, and can only be opened by an authorized dealer. :rolleyes:

·
Certified Organic Fanatic
2,544 Posts
Kaz said:
So you actually get LESS info with iDrive, or is that entry selectable to get the level?

And FWIW modern BMW coolant temp gauges are about as useful as a single light.
Actually, you can check the oil level with iDrive... and it's in color! :thumbup:
The Temp reading is surrounding the tach... like in the 5, 6, and the 7... as the car warms up, the lines disappear.

·
Registered
31 Posts
RandyB said:
I just bought one of those recently for my '03. Guess I'll have to do it the old fashioned way if I buy an E90 at some point. One of these days I expect the hood to just be sealed shut, and can only be opened by an authorized dealer. :rolleyes:
Or you press a button the filter and oil shoots out of the tailpipe, LOL

·
Registered
112 Posts
SpeedFreak! said:
The Temp reading is surrounding the tach... like in the 5, 6, and the 7... as the car warms up, the lines disappear.
Nope :(
That doesn't work on the 3 series.

Can anyone confirm that it works on the 5 and 6?
I know it's on the 7.

·
Certified Organic Fanatic
2,544 Posts
quackman said:
Nope :(
That doesn't work on the 3 series.

Can anyone confirm that it works on the 5 and 6?
I know it's on the 7.
Sorry... my bad on the 3... I could have swore I SAW the same tach/temp operation as in the 5/6... but I was wrong. The 5, 6, and 7 do have this feature for certain. I just checked to make sure. :thumbup:

·
Flying monkey herder
8,166 Posts
so if you want to top off on oil, you need to pour, run back to the dash, look at the display, then go back, pour some more, run back, etc. *scratcheshead*
what was wrong with the good old, dipstick?

and who could forget the E46 and the faulty oil level sensor. just had that one replaced on my 330i. what are u supposed to do then? i never heard of a dipstick going bad....

the gadget freak in me is screaming "COOOL!" the practical side of me is asking "WHY???"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts