BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
M54b30 (E36 Compact)

Hey, I've had a problem with my battery bracket that recently led to the battery slamming into the DISA valve, partially unplugging it and causing my engine management to freak out, this happened twice whilst I was driving, I made it home, repaired the bracket and plugged the DISA back in properly.

On my next journey out I had noticed my engine had no low end torque and was significantly more sluggish throughout the rev range, I then checked to make sure the DISA was plugged in correctly, and it was. I then had somebody rev my engine so I could check to see if the actuator pin on the DISA was engaging or not and to my suprise it was not actuating and the pin was not moving although it was plugged in, the plug isn't damaged and neither is the wiring. It still clicks into the plug nicely. So there is no physical damage it has to be ECU related.

My theory and from what I have heard is because it was getting an intermittent signal after getting punched out by the battery it could have shorted and glitched the ECU and now it doesn't communicate.

I have removed the DISA, undertaken all of the trouble shooting procedures to only find the DISA is still fully functional, I have also purchased another DISA to test and it does the exact same thing, it is not functioning and actuating at all even with a new DISA unit installed, so that eliminates all the factors relating to a damaged or faulty unit.

Now the only thing left is to check the ECU, now is there something I can do to the ECU to reset it and have it begin a test on the DISA valve using a certain program or?

I've read a few issues on forum posts that are identical to mine and thought it would be a good idea to make a discussion here were people can put their heads together and work out a way around this electrical programming issue and why the ECM isn't communicating with the DISA together as there was no resolution to the other related forum posts, my assumption would be to find a program that links to the ECU and runs tests on individual components (like the DISA) does anybody know of a program capable of such a thing? If so I would really like to know which programs are capable of testing and resetting so I can finally get to the end of the issue I am facing and hopefully for others to learn from too.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this through, if you have any suggestions or ideas then please feel free to leave them here, it will really help us to build a solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance.
-Ben

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could start by checking the connectivity between the DISA connector pins and the ECU.
Turned out that the fuse terminals on the DME were heavily corroded, cleaned them up, refitted the fuses and it actuated the DISA, my problem has been resolved, check the DME fuses in their small plastic case if you're having any failures to function from the DISA. Mine filled with water and corroded badly. Little bit of brushing and carb cleaner cleared the fuse terminals right up, now the connection between the fuses are bridging correctly.

👌

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.