BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Disappearing oil?

2654 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Fifty_Cent
So I have a 2001 325ci that seems to be just drinking oil
There's no big oil slick or even noticable drops when I leave it sit but after
A month or so of driving the oil light jumps to life then I check the oil, it's low so I fill her up
And the cycle repeats. It take a about a month or so every time.
New oilf filter is the only thing I can think of.
Any ideas?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Some E46's drink oil. BUT you likely don't see the leak because of the underbelly pan your car has on it. Remove it and then look around, chances are you will find a bunch of leaks.
So I have a 2001 325ci that seems to be just drinking oil
There's no big oil slick or even noticable drops when I leave it sit but after
A month or so of driving the oil light jumps to life then I check the oil, it's low so I fill her up
And the cycle repeats. It take a about a month or so every time.
New oilf filter is the only thing I can think of.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Ill give that a look, anything I should know before taking it off?
I.e. weak clips or bolts?
If your pan has never been off it will be held to the front bumper by 3 "pop rivets". You simply pry out the middle and pull till it releases, they are a butt sometimes and I never reinstall them. Other than that it is phillips head screws. Very easy.
Ill give that a look, anything I should know before taking it off?
I.e. weak clips or bolts?
Do you notice a burning smell after running the car for a while? It could be a valve cover gasket gone bad, and the oil is dripping on the exhaust manifold. If the gasket has never been replaced, it's about time to do it anyway.
Ever had a new CCV system installed?
smolck is right, my car has a drinking problem, and there are no obvious leaks..
sometimes when you are parked on a hill the light will go on due to the angle of how the oil is sitting.. i have to add a quart every month or so as well
Oil cannot disappear. It is either leaking, or burning it. If its leaking, fix the leak. If its burning it, its either CCV, or worn piston rings.Another factor, although not so common, is the valve guide seals.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.