BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Everything has been going well with my 2006 525xi which i have had about 6 months. Its been operating wonderfully for having 154,000 miles. THEN i had the bright idea to pull the negative side terminal loose on the battery and clean the post. I checked the fuses too while i was there at the trunk. When i hooked it back up, you would have thought i had done some extensive electrical work that went all kinds of wrong.

Upon starting the car, i noticed the windshield wipers would not turn off, no turn signals, no highbeams, no cruise, no horn, no heated steering wheel, no tilt, "awd and dsc malfunction" notification popped up, and the the word "brake" was illuminated on the dash.

Prior to my unhooking the negative terminal, all those things worked. I was just doing something the service manual said to do prior to working on anything electrical and that was to unhook the negative terminal. I never would have imagined something i have done many times on my american cars would cause such a stir on this car.

Taking it to the dealer is not an option. I am willing to buy whatever diagnostic tool necessary so that i can fix this problem myself. I would appreciate any input as i really like the car and most importantly, need it to be in proper working order. Any recommendations such as which tool or part to buy and possibly other ways that might make these notifications go away and get it back to working normally.
Its all i have to drive and my budget can only twke so much. Ideas? Ty

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,582 Posts
I was just doing something the service manual said to do prior to working on anything electrical and that was to unhook the negative terminal. Ideas? Ty
What service manual? Does it cover this result of its instructions?

Otherwise use www.NewTIS.info. Enter with your VIN-7. Search / browse

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Could the battery have been on it's way out or low on charge before the negative was removed? How old is the battery? Maybe when the battery was reconnected it was too much at once for a low charge? I'm not a battery guy so this is just an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,246 Posts
BTW, every time I have disconnected the battery, the car presents "awd and dsc malfunction" notification and then that goes away after driving a few feet.
You've got more than that, but at least those are typical.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I think that I remember reading something about that. Start the car, then turn the steering rack full left, then right a few times. Resets the steering angle sensor?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Never had any issues after disconnecting the negative cable. It just forgets date and time. Maybe a fuse was misplaced?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:
Something weird happened. I had kept the headlights on "auto" since i bought the car and for unrelated reasons swit
ched it to "manual." Afterward, i noticed everything working fine again! Im cautiously optomistic but all has been well for a couple of weeks since this occurred. I certainly can tell you that the headlights are staying on "manual" indefinitely!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts