41 - 60 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did mine today (took me 6 hours)
the oil was DARK BLACK!!!
replaced it to dexron VI from hicksoil at 148000Km
It was smooth before without problems
now its still the same maybe ill replace just the oil again in about 1000-2000Km
hope nothing will happen to my gear....

·
catso
3,163 Posts
I did mine today (took me 6 hours)
the oil was DARK BLACK!!!
replaced it to dexron VI from hicksoil at 148000Km
It was smooth before without problems
now its still the same maybe ill replace just the oil again in about 1000-2000Km
hope nothing will happen to my gear....
Black is not good. :yikes: Heat kills transmissions. Use synthetic fluid if at all possible. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
i did used fully synthetic oil of dexron VI instead the original (and i dont know what was in it 7045E/8072)
at the dealer they wanted 46$ for a liter of original bmw oil (you can buy only 20 liter) - SUX so i bought dexron VI fully synthetic for 13.5$ a liter - also very expensive but bare-able.
oils are so expensive and rare here and cost alot to import.
i wanted D4ATF they wanted:
D4-gallons $41.95 each (i wanted 3 ) so ...125.85$
Shipping $180.00

Total(Redline D4ATF) : 305.85$
Total(Dexron VI hicksoils) : 155$

·
catso
3,163 Posts
I done over 100km with the new fluid - no problems .
anyone knows after how many km/miles you can see you didnt do it right?
and is it recommend to do just a fluid change to remove more of the old oil?
Leaks and the correct level (quantity) of trans fluid is pretty much all you can check. Change it again when you get the opportunity. They make aftermarket drain plug kits that make fluid draining much easier. You may want to look into that. :thumbup:

·
catso
3,163 Posts
I've never personally used one. My 323i is a 5 speed, but my old 528e has a drain plug in the pan. Do a search. I think Amazon has them along with some of the major auto parts chains like NAPA, etc. I think there was a thread about the subject a few months ago. :dunno:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've never personally used one. My 323i is a 5 speed, but my old 528e has a drain plug in the pan. Do a search. I think Amazon has them along with some of the major auto parts chains like NAPA, etc. I think there was a thread about the subject a few months ago. :dunno:
i also have a drain plug .
i also replaced the oil pan to a new one (looks good :) ) so i didnt had to torque the drain plug after all the process and saved me some time with the gasket.
its only cost 70$ and its a had been replaced by a new part number (i think it has a different drain plug)

·
Registered
546 Posts
I think the flash made my old ATF fluid look much cleaner than it was. I took a couple pics of A/B (old ATF from the drain container vs fresh Castrol Import Multi ATF).

·
Registered
682 Posts
What a great thread! Thanks to all who have contributed. I agree with Starless's reasoning as to why he used the original type ATF. However, since you can't get anywhere near all the ATF out with a single drain, wouldn't a reasonable, cost-effective yet safe alternative be to drain the original fluid, fill with Dexron VI, drive it for a short time (maybe a week or two), then repeat the process once or twice? This way, you'd replace most of the original fluid with the Dexron VI, which is probably better ATF, and minimize the compatibility concerns by doing the multiple flushes (which you'd probably want to do even if you're using the original type fluid to thoroughly replace the old with the new). The only thing I'm not sure of is whether to replace the filter during the first flush, or the last.

·
catso
3,163 Posts
What a great thread! Thanks to all who have contributed. I agree with Starless's reasoning as to why he used the original type ATF. However, since you can't get anywhere near all the ATF out with a single drain, wouldn't a reasonable, cost-effective yet safe alternative be to drain the original fluid, fill with Dexron VI, drive it for a short time (maybe a week or two), then repeat the process once or twice? This way, you'd replace most of the original fluid with the Dexron VI, which is probably better ATF, and minimize the compatibility concerns by doing the multiple flushes (which you'd probably want to do even if you're using the original type fluid to thoroughly replace the old with the new). The only thing I'm not sure of is whether to replace the filter during the first flush, or the last.
From what I gather, the filters aren't very efficient. I'd say change it the first time and put a drain plug in your pan for subsequent draining.

·
Registered
10 Posts
im driving already 200km with dexron vi mixed with texaco 8072
the car is driving great.
maybe ill do drain and refill this week.

:)

·
Registered
546 Posts
is it after total flush or just adding to the old oil in the atf?
I drained the tranny and replaced the filter & gasket. No torque converter drain. Put about 6.5 quarts back in. Noticing smoother and more positive shifting as time goes by (about 400 miles so far), so I think another change will be happening soon. This time most likely just a drain and fill. A filter and gasket change after hitting about 10k miles on the fresh filter.

·
Registered
546 Posts
From what I gather, the filters aren't very efficient. I'd say change it the first time and put a drain plug in your pan for subsequent draining.
Agree with Catso. Change the filter and gasket the first time & just drain and fill till at least 10k miles or so. Then you'll be able to also see how much particulate has attached to the rare earth magnet in the tranny pan (a good guide as to how things are wearing).

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yes, after writing my post, I realized that doing the filter replacement during the first flush makes the most sense. But what do you mean by "put a drain plug in your pan for subsequent draining?" There is a drain plug in the pan already, as Starless' photos show.

·
catso
3,163 Posts
Yes, after writing my post, I realized that doing the filter replacement during the first flush makes the most sense. But what do you mean by "put a drain plug in your pan for subsequent draining?" There is a drain plug in the pan already, as Starless' photos show.
Sorry, I was under the impression that some E46 automatics don't have drain plugs. :dunno: My E46 is a manual. My old E28 has a drain plug and I do a drain and refill every year. Since BMW now says the trans contains "lifetime trans fluid" I thought they eliminated the drain plug. :rolleyes: Aftermarket drain plug kits are available for almost any car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
nice DIY ,i will be doing this soon , one question , for the final fill did you leave the car in park or neutral?
When I did this, for the final fill you'd start the car and go through P=>D and let it stay in each position for a few seconds before going to the next for about 10-15 times. Make sure the car is still running when you do the final fill. And I left mine in park.

41 - 60 of 156 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.