BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

DIY basic tools?

1278 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  estrov
I just bought a 2007 530xi (aka, the "other woman"), and I'm hoping to do some of my own basic maintenance work. Having grown up in a family that was not the DIY type, I'm not sure what tools I should plan on needing. As a homeowner, I have the sort of stuff you'd use around the house, but I'm sure there are things that are dead useful for lots of car repairs that I may not have. Anyone have a basics checklist they want to share? Nothing is needing replacing now, but I'd rather slowly acquire this stuff than have a major shopping trip when the time comes.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
As a minimum you'll need

A set of metric combination wrenches
1/4" and 3/8" ratchets
Metric sockets, regular and deep
Metric "Allen" (hex) bit sockets and/or wrenches
Torx bit sockets and/or screwdrivers
Screwdrivers
Jackstands
Jack

All of which you can get cheaply, or not, depending on your budget.

Some good brands to consider are Gearwrench; JH Williams; Snap-on; SK Hand Tool

Try shopping at

www.tooltopia.com
www.harryepsteins.com
www.mrocenter.com
www.amazon.com
www.advanceautoparts.com
www.ebay.com

I cannot recommend Craftsman any longer as they have decided to move most of the tool production to China. Also, Sears is actively trying to sell the Craftsman name brand. Who knows which company will end up with it and whether or not the warranty will be honored?
Hey don't forget a torque wrench, impact drill and a 100 gal air compressor. :)
As a minimum you'll need

A set of metric combination wrenches
1/4" and 3/8" ratchets
Metric sockets, regular and deep
Metric "Allen" (hex) bit sockets and/or wrenches
Torx bit sockets and/or screwdrivers
Screwdrivers
Jackstands
Jack

All of which you can get cheaply, or not, depending on your budget.

Some good brands to consider are Gearwrench; JH Williams; Snap-on; SK Hand Tool

Try shopping at

www.tooltopia.com
www.harryepsteins.com
www.mrocenter.com
www.amazon.com
www.advanceautoparts.com
www.ebay.com

I cannot recommend Craftsman any longer as they have decided to move most of the tool production to China. Also, Sears is actively trying to sell the Craftsman name brand. Who knows which company will end up with it and whether or not the warranty will be honored?
All previous posters tool sources listed are good.

I decided to go the Harbor Freight Tool route. Are they even close to the highest quality tools? NO. Have I ever had a tool from HFT break? Just one, and that was replaced no questions asked (and I misused it and broke it). If you watch for their sales I don't know where you can buy more tool for less.

If I were a professional I doubt I would consider them. After all, where I might use a tool five or six times a year, a professional might be using it hundreds of times a year. If it were to break the time lost in replacing it under pressure is not worth the savings. And if you are experienced better tools just feel better in your hand and you work faster.

But for the casual user HFT can't be beat.

To the previous lists I would add:
- A second torque wrench (so you have a large and small)
- Breaker bar, an 18" or better yet 24" if you will be doing suspension work
- A set of large 1/2" impact sockets for the large torque wrench and breaker bar
- Set of various size and length socket extensions
- Set of various size socket universal joints
- Inexpensive digital micrometer (brakes)
- Inexpensive multimeter
Check out the Harbor Freight coupons in the back of all the car magazines (Car and Driver, Road and Track ....) Good for 20% off a single item.

Harbor Freight is not Snap-On but it does just fine of a hobbyist / enthusiast.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.