BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
aioros
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following diy is for a '99 528i automatic. the pictures are for the most part self explanatory of the process, but i will say you don't need a whole lot of tools, mainly torx (2 sizes), sockets: 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, and 13mm some flat screwdrivers and patience.

Just make sure that you connect back all the plugs you disconnected before, there are like 6 of them, but it is easy to find where they belong, they are matched to the sensor.

The result after the installation of the new CCV and hoses is incredible. the car drives way smoother, it accelerates better, there are no more weird noises and the "intake manifold control unit" doesn't shake anymore.

Attachments

·
aioros
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
some more pictures

just to say it took me about 4 hrs+ to do this. it is really not hard to tackle this valve.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Great work Aioros--Those pics are going to help alot of the diy'ers out there wanting to tackle this job--it's gonna take a lot of the guess work out. I have a question--that last pic above--the small vac hose thats right in the middle of the ccv--that hose you state--goes back to the top of the intake and plugs in. On my 2003 model--that vac port is not utalized-but the vac port on the ccv is there on the part--I'm going to try to use that vac port on my car--I'm wondering just where it would hook up on the intake---is the spot just a normal vac port, or is there a check valve or something like used?
Thanks

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts
Aioros - GREAT write-up and pics. Will save this thread to my favorites. This was a great service to your fellow Bimmer nuts. BRAVO.

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts
Nice, I plan on doing this soon...thanks for the good pics!

·
aioros
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
to answer Poolman's question: if you look in the first set of pictures, in the "second-to-the-last picture" you can see the thin-long-orange striped vacuum hose on top of the engine, if you follow the hose to the left you will see where it ends there is a small tubing and that's where is goes connected.

these are the parts I changed:
CCV #11 61 7 501 566 $75.20
Vent hose #11 15 7 532 649 $19.80
Vacuum hose #11 74 7 797 175 $24.25

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/h/e/54.png parts 4 and 6

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Thanks Aioros--I went back a looked at the top of your engine and saw where the connection is made--the metal tube up top. That tube goes to the back of the negine--I suspect that there is another vacuum hose and the other end connecting at the back top right of the intake--you might should check there and make sure those hoses in that area have not given up the ghost --as did the one connected to your ccv valve. I checked mine back there and found them to literally falling apart.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Aioros--I spent some time over at real oem trying to find just where the vac line hooks up on that metal tube thats at the top of your engine. I had no luck find out this though--would you check for me concerning where that metal hose hooks into the intake and if there is a chack valve with the part.
Thanks

·
aioros
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Poolman- I checked the vac line and there is another hose after the tubing. this hose goes towards the wall where the steering wheel is located. I have no idea where it goes from there, but I don't think there is a check valve connected to it.

Mudbone- If your engine looks like mine then it maybe the same type of valve, get the last 7 digits from your VIN and check on realoem.com

·
(oOO)\(lll)°(lll)/(OOo)
1,567 Posts
What are the symptoms of a failing ccv? i heard somewhere if you cover the port on the back of the ccv and the car idles smoother then the valve is bad?

·
(oOO)\(lll)°(lll)/(OOo)
1,567 Posts
What are the symptoms of a failing ccv? i heard somewhere if you cover the port on the back of the ccv and the car idles smoother then the valve is bad?
Let me elaborate, i know that the ccv valve when bad can mimmic a vac loss, in which case this test would work, but are there any other symptoms that could be dued to a bad/failing ccv?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Parts were ordered and received. With the help of aioros's wonderful illustrations, I will be tackling this job over the weekend. Let's hope it all goes well!! Hopefully I will be reporting back a smooth and easy completion report, lol.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.