BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am sure there are plenty of DIYs dealing with using an oil extractor to change your oil but I wanted to give my perspective and do my part in enriching this experience.

Step one:

• Buy 7 quarts of BMW synthetic oil. (this is variable because not everybody uses BMW oil, and some may need more or less oil).
  • Buy an OE oil filter with the replacement seal. It's important to have the seal.
  • It is assumed you already have an oil extracting device with a capacity of 7 quarts or more (6.6 liters). I purchased the MityVac 7400 from amazon.com for $51 shipped.
  • Make sure you have a 36mm socket and a half inch drive. Or you can use an adjustable wrench, but be extremely careful not to damage the oil filter cover in any way. Proceed with extreme care.

--

--

Step two.
  • Drive to a local auto store which collects oil. Find a flat parking space.
  • Wear some gloves and place all your tools and products in front of the car.
  • The oil needs to be warm before extracting it.

Step three.
  • Remove your oil dipstick. It is very important that the dipstick stays uncontaminated, so place it in a clean and secure spot.
  • Make sure the extracting tube is also clean and uncontaminated. The tube must freely enter the dipstick tube, until it reaches the bottom of the oil pan. Do not force it more than it can take.
  • Make sure the extracting tube fits securely into the extracting device.
  • Start pumping the device until it feels hard to press down. At this moment you should see black oil coming out of the dipstick into the collecting device.
  • This will take a while, so while you are at it, look around your engine and inspect the area for leaks, damages, inspect the hoses, clean it a little...and so on.
  • When the pressure inside the collecting device goes down, it will stop sucking oil. So pump the device more. Do not remove the oil filter yet because I think it may help with the oil extraction in the last drops. This is up to you.
  • After 15 minutes, the collecting device should start to fill up and the oil coming out of the oil pan should start to be less frequent, or voluminous.
  • Be very persistent with getting every little drop out of the oil, and do not panic if the oil total volume of oil extracted in not quite 6.6 liters, you have probably burned some oil. I extracted close to 5.9-6.2 liters of oil.

--

--

--

Step four.
  • Carefully remove your oil filter cover, and make sure to have paper towels or plastic bags around to place your old oil filter.
  • Remove the old filter and clean the area inside to oil filter container (I can't remember the proper term now).
  • Replace the ring seal and put the new oil filter.
  • You might want to pour some new oil in there, to avoid the red oil light when starting the car after the whole procedure. Either way, it doesn't make much difference.
  • Tighten the oil filter cover to 25 nM or snug it up. Be very careful not to force anything.
  • After the previous step, reinsert the oil dipstick, and pour 5 1/2 quarts of new oil in there.
  • Check the dipstick. The oil level should be between the two high ends.
  • Add oil as needed, most likely you will need 6 1/5 quarts or more and this is a good indication you have extracted all the oil out.
  • Start your car and let it run for 5 minutes. See if there is any oil coming out of the oil filter cover. If not, you're done. If yes, fix that.
  • take your container to auto zone and dump the oil.

***No pictures because my camera's battery ran out***

Final step.
  • Clean up.
  • Drive your car around, and then turn it off let it cool for five minutes and check you oil level.
  • The whole process should not take more than 45 minutes.

Another good link: http://www.bmw325i.net/maint_oil_extractor.shtml

Hopefully this helps somebody.

·
The Ultimate Übermensch
1,023 Posts
Interesting that you pump while the tube is in the dipstick tube. I pump mine up to 15psi and secure the clamp before I insert the tube. The oil begins to flow but sometimes the flow stops. Last time I pumped it out like you describe and all was good. Thanks for the write up.

·
Fully Dysfunctional
2,372 Posts
Nice write up, but if people are looking to change their oil in this manner, I don't think they will be searching "Chaning your oil using an oil extractor"...

·
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting that you pump while the tube is in the dipstick tube. I pump mine up to 15psi and secure the clamp before I insert the tube. The oil begins to flow but sometimes the flow stops. Last time I pumped it out like you describe and all was good. Thanks for the write up.
The extractor I have is very simple. Don't you have the MV 7201? I think those are fancier.

I followed the instructions on the brochure with which it came

·
Das rampen abwarten
373 Posts
Thanks for the write-up, but I don't get what you are saying here:
When the pressure inside the collecting device goes down, it will stop sucking oil. So pump the device more. Do not remove the oil filter yet because it helps with the oil extraction by not allowing air to enter.
:dunno:

·
Constantly Learning
2,057 Posts
Just did this and wrote up a post with some pics: http://bit.ly/2RoONl

It was interesting to see how different the Mahle and Mann filters are.

·
Registered
439 Posts
[*]Make sure the extracting tube is also clean and uncontaminated.
Sort of a newb question but how are you supposed to clean this device and the tubes after you are done with it? Aside from the topic of used oil in an oil extractor, I have a mityvac for brake bleeding that I have yet to use and I wonder how I am going to clean that after I am done with it. I have been reading on this and a lot of people like it, but I am not quite sold on it yet seeing how it's yet another pump device I have to figure out how to clean since obviously you cannot use just water. Is it even safe to use like dishwashing soap and water, but to let it fully dry somehow?

How does everyone else clean their oil extractors, mityvacs, and hand pump attachments that go onto differential fluid (or other fluid) bottles?

·
Constantly Learning
2,057 Posts
[*]Make sure the extracting tube is also clean and uncontaminated.
Um, just rinse out? I'm only using pump to extract, so what's the issue?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts