·
Registered
641 Posts
Utterly ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hahaha. Why don't they just use a sledge hammer or chainsaw to cut open the bumper so you can access the clip.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hey, I didn't think of pulling out my bolt cutters to get the job done. I've tried twice using two different methods to remove those stupid things. On the last go-round I bruised my left hand and dropped a screwdriver in there. I could pop the two top clips and the side ones, but I can't get a screwdriver in to pop the bottom three and my fingers just aren't strong enough to pop them manually.

After seeing this, I may go the boltcutter route. I could buy a whole 2nd set of grills with what they'll charge me at the dealer. They said 2 hours. Excuse me? Are they going to take the whole front-end off or something?

I've replaced the grills on 3 other Xs and this is by far the hardest since the grills are attached to the bumper instead of the hood.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hey, I didn't think of pulling out my bolt cutters to get the job done. I've tried twice using two different methods to remove those stupid things. On the last go-round I bruised my left hand and dropped a screwdriver in there. I could pop the two top clips and the side ones, but I can't get a screwdriver in to pop the bottom three and my fingers just aren't strong enough to pop them manually.

After seeing this, I may go the boltcutter route. I could buy a whole 2nd set of grills with what they'll charge me at the dealer. They said 2 hours. Excuse me? Are they going to take the whole front-end off or something?

I've replaced the grills on 3 other Xs and this is by far the hardest since the grills are attached to the bumper instead of the hood.
I wish you are close by me.
I can knock that off in 10 minutes at the very least.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Czech 'me out.

Complete with humping action. .... What the heck are they doing?

·
Registered
776 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
This is for those little side grills. I'm working on the kidney grills. I found one DIY that comes in from the front. That was a non-starter. The one that I tried yesterday comes in from the top. Promising if I didn't have to actually release those bottom clips. Details.
Yep, you're right. I just looked at the PDF and forgot he never made a DIY for that. Only for the fins and the reflectors, but since English isn't his number 1 language, he didn't name it that well. This is for the kidney grilles: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=967954

·
Registered
412 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yep, you're right. I just looked at the PDF and forgot he never made a DIY for that. Only for the fins and the reflectors, but since English isn't his number 1 language, he didn't name it that well. This is for the kidney grilles: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=967954
This is the first method that I tried. I couldn't get the chrome ring off, so the first step on pg2 became impossible. Perhaps I need to invest in the 'special tool'. But I don't see from looking at the new one how that chrome ring would magically come off. Is this where I need some education?

This is the second method I tried: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15770756&postcount=9
Step 9, which he says is HARD, was indeed hard because I couldn't do it. I could feel the bottom brackets, but I couldn't release them.

This one contains a whole lot of hardship between pictures 4 & 5: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15774413&postcount=11

I feel like I have been defeated by kidney grills.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I got my dealership to do it for free during PDI. I guess I lucked out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
spend almost an hour trying to get the damn grill off, I may have to drink some Vodka and go with the Russian route this weekend! the E70 are so easy to replace!

·
Registered
158 Posts
finally got the black grill install on last sat. snap few clips on the chrome one. Don't care, in the recycle bin anyway! Love the new look :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts