BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just did mines yesterday, so here are some instruction for other DIYer that's interested in doing that, i've got 60k on mine so is about time (although BMW said they are all 'lifetime' fluid)

i was going to do tranny fluid as well...BUT i cant buy the fluid unless i get 25L of it from BMW at $350 which i only need 8L

and beisde BMW once again said is 'lifetime' or 100k or whatever....the point it i cant DIY due to not be able to get the fluid (or get $350 worth of it)

the mods can mark it as a 'sticker' if you wish

http://webpages.charter.net/vodkag/temp/xdrive.pdf

instructions are once again very general and is written for people with basic DIY skills

·
Registered
98 Posts
Outstandnig Post ! Thanks

I've been watching for this to be posted. I am strongly considering doing mine (or having it done) at the 1 yr service. This stuff has to age better if you get the initial break-in goo out of the system,

Do you have the auto or std trans?

Dave

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have the auto trans, i was really suprised how the x-drive fluid is so called 'lifetime'

when i had my audi TT Quattro, the Haldex fluid is due every 20k miles.....i know is a diff system and all but still ....lifetime?? after seeing the condition of the fluid.....the new fluid is light yellow-ish color.......and as you can see....it was brown after 60k miles

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Given the choice of a transfer case fluid change or differential fluid change, I'm guessing that the transfer case fluid is dirtier?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Vodka G -

I'm running the manual tranny or I'd talk about splitting container of trans fluid.

Az -

I'd do the transfer case first. My reasoning is that there is more 'slippage' going on in that system in the Xdrive package.

That said, I plan to change them all at 10k or so, depending on convenience. After looking at the engine oil changed out at 2k, you have to wonder.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Given the choice of a transfer case fluid change or differential fluid change, I'm guessing that the transfer case fluid is dirtier?
yep is MUCH worst..atcually the front diff fluid was in pretty good condition

DS- yeah actually some people have brought in container and the dealer would sell them what they need at like $20 a Liter

i've called 3 dealership around and none of them are willing to do that

·
Long LIVE ZFHP22!
306 Posts
When Ive flushed trannys the dealer will pour it into a container I bring them. If you can make friends with a parts guy perhaps they will help you with this.

Failing this there are other types of fluids from other manufacturers that work just as well. I know on some of the older e46 trannys you could use an OEM VW fluid and purchase at the VW dealer for a lot less. You need to do some research here. If you find some alternatives post them for us.

I am coming up on 40k on my X3 and I need to do this service. I'll keep you posted if I find anything.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks

now speaking of X-drive and all

i bought the X3 in for service the other day......the SES light came on......and as well as the AC not blowing cold enuff at idling

anyhow the car is under BMW CPO so i figure $50 is all i have to pay

they fixed the SES (actually it turned off right when i got to the dealership....and it was on all day the day b4.......go figure :dunno:)

anyhow the service adv told me that they also saw a code for "trans case oild degrading " or something along those line and told me that i need to replace the X-drive fluid.......(which i just replaced it 2 weeks ago) lolssss and at the same time my service tech also suggested that i needed a 'fuel injection system flush' and that they are running a 'special' on that service from regular $359...NOW only $199 WOW what a STEAL lolsssssss!!!!!

after i kindly rejected the 'special fuel system flush' (aka special wallet and credit card 'flush') i also kindly ask him to check again on the x-drive fluid...... as i told him that the fluid was replaced 2 weeks ago....and he came back and told me the fluid is fine and the tech even notice that the front and rear diff fluid were also replaced :)

the SES was appreantly a 'lose gas cap' which was weird because that's the first thing i checked and the gas cap was tightly on

the AC freeon was recharged and they found a low pressure valve leaking so it was replaced as well

and for some reason they also found a driver side window regluator that was 'bad' and reaplced that as well (when the window is working just fine)

:D

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
the SES was appreantly a 'lose gas cap' which was weird because that's the first thing i checked and the gas cap was tightly on
Do you lock your car? Fuel economy down on the last tank?

I'm asking because the Mazda threw the same code ---> Someone siphoned about 4 gallons of gas off and that did it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you lock your car? Fuel economy down on the last tank?

I'm asking because the Mazda threw the same code ---> Someone siphoned about 4 gallons of gas off and that did it.
REALLY!!!!! holy!!!! but yes i do lock my car

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Buy your diff and tranny fluid from Bavarian Auto if the local dealership won't sell it to you reasonably.
Bavarian doesnt sell the tranny fluid for mine

·
Registered
15 Posts
The link at the top of the page isn't working, is it me, or is that page gone Vodka G. Anyone have the instructions saved so they can email it to me?? Let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Same thing... broken link. Anyone have this saved they could re-post? Please! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Royal Purple works for differential...Advanced Auto Parts

Trans case - Bav Auto @$30qt

Tranny Fluid...If the right tranny, I read somewhere that Land Rover uses the same Shell Synthetic fluid and sells it by the quart and cheaper too....that is if you have a Land Rover Dealer nearby.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts