Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So finally after spending a few weeks thinking through the retrofit and waiting for OEM G30 fog light bars (eBay) to arrive, I was finally able to retrofit them to my F10. The fact that I have a Luxury Line with chrome lined covers in front of the air duct covers helped to figure out a good place to install. As luck would have it, we got our first snow for the winter and I literally froze my bu++ off in our non-heated garage. Anyway, happy with the results.

I used an extension harness to extend the connection from the existing LED fogs. No coding required and no warnings. I had to cut the air ducts for the fog bars to fit as they are substantially deep (approx 6" deep).

Finally, I ordered spare air duct covers so I didn't have to cut the originals - just incase...

The pictures are posted below:

It was cold and snowing and I to figure out how to cut/fit as I went along so I couldn't take many pictures during install but I will be happy to post links to connectors and components if anyone is interested. This was definitely one of the harder (unchartered) retrofits I have done to this car so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Thanks Mike.
Adding some day time pictures as requested. Lights on / Lights off.
VERY nice job!! Looks like it came from the factory like that!

Notice any issues with the diminished airflow through the ducts?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Good point - Haven't driven it around today as it was snowing, but I don't think the airflow will be diminished by much if at all. The air can get in from around the lights as they are not in a moulded socket. Additionally, the lower two vents are open and air ducts were cut only in the top third to create the channel for the back of the fog bars to fit into. I will keep an eye out for temps though, especially in the summer.

Worst case I may put a small air intake duct under the bumper pointed towards the original air ducts but I doubt it will be required.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Notice any issues with the diminished airflow through the ducts?
So yesterday I had an opportunity to test out the system in real driving conditions that I face here in DC. Drove about 40 miles back from work in bumper to bumper traffic with the average speed under 15-20 miles for the entire trip (!!) and the temp needle hovered between 240 - 245, always staying below the 250 mark. Since its winter and the air outside was cold, around 40F I expect that the temp will be slightly higher in similar conditions during the summer months. I will keep an out for the temp readings.

Other than that the lights performed flawlessly, especially in the dark. Overall I can see atleast 50-60% addition to the light on the road when using the quad-fog lights - helped me to spot the pot holes easily. Happy so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts