BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
241 - 260 of 263 Posts

·
Welcome everyone retrofit
144 Posts
Thanks for the reply’s lads!
I’ve defo got Kafas2
1./ If you have Kafas2, At least you will have FSC 7E for 8TH, because in FA car you have 8TH.
2./ 5AT needs FSC and 5AS, 5AS needs Kafas2 with FSC (BE, BF).
5AS on the other hand includes 5AD (alert when changing lanes, steering wheel vibrates when the signal light is not on).
I often use Esys to test the hardware when retrofitting my car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the reply’s lads!
I’ve defo got Kafas2
If you have front collision and pedestrian warning assistants, together with SLI, your kafas2 has all the FSCs. Blind spot should not be important, important will be some part of the coding which is included in 5AT (and not in the containing options). Cafd tool could be useful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The reason a don’t have 5AT is because the original buyer hated the wheel vibrating/moving while driving.

The hardware seem to be in the car but just not activated.
View attachment 1042108 View attachment 1042109
5AG would have those triangle lights on your mirrors. If you have those, then I would believe you have all the hardware. In that case add 5AT, remove all its containing options and code by this new FA.

·
Registered
36 Posts
5AG would have those triangle lights on your mirrors. If you have those, then I would believe you have all the hardware. In that case add 5AT, remove all its containing options and code by this new FA.
Sorry meant to say it looks like 5AT would have been coded by bmw but not wanting the wheel vibrate means everything was coded separate so 5AG wasn’t included

·
144 Posts
josejoshua is correct 5AT, 5AR does not need 5AG (I am still in the process of finding parts for my next retrofit 5AG, while my car has successfully equipped 5AT and 5AR).

·
144 Posts
Sorry meant to say it looks like 5AT would have been coded by bmw but not wanting the wheel vibrate means everything was coded separate so 5AG wasn’t included
Let's say your car has all the hardware needed for the 5AT, 5AR and you just don't have a sensor steering wheel yet.
If assuming correct then you replace in FA 5DF to 5AT and encode VO All ECU and ACC with Stop and Go function will work without error

update
I have created a PDF guide to see what Esys reports about the hardware when we retrofit.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Let's say your car has all the hardware needed for the 5AT, 5AR and you just don't have a sensor steering wheel yet.
If assuming correct then you replace in FA 5DF to 5AT and encode VO All ECU and ACC with Stop and Go function will work without error

update
I have created a PDF guide to see what Esys reports about the hardware when we retrofit.
Buzzing I’ll give that a go later! 👍

·
Registered
36 Posts

update
Ive just done what you said, and yes i now have 5AT running on the car everything is working like it should.
Ive even got 'lane departure warning' (i brought the switch panel ages ago for testing) working but no vibrate obviously.

·
144 Posts
Ive just done what you said, and yes i now have 5AT running on the car everything is working like it should.
Ive even got 'lane departure warning' (i brought the switch panel ages ago for testing) working but no vibrate obviously.
1./ About the vibrating motor you should retrofit and you need to replace the SZL if the SZL on your car doesn't support it.
2./ One strange thing is that 5AT needs FSC for Kafas2 ( FSC BE and BF), I haven't seen you talk about this FSC issue.
3./ I think the active F1x 5AR needs the 5AT to work well. Hope I'm wrong.
I've run out of ideas for your 5AR retrofit, as I've never seen 5AT work without FSC for Kafas2.
But congratulations anyway, because ACC works without error when you add 5AT and FA and VO all ECUs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Friends,

I'm happy to confirm that this works on a 2018 i3S. I previously ran into some issues with a shorted AtMega328PB Chip which i replaced and i never suspected the TJA1027T to also have issues. Replaced it and all works well.

Special thanks goes out to
@kamrankazmi for the awesome writeup
@marvel.marv for pointing out it may be the HOD module
@josejoshua for sanity checks

Thanks all on the thread for providing support as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I answered your PM. 5AD has nothing to do with TJA. From what I remember, by my F11 LCI FA coding didn't work, had to code the ICM by hand. I don't remember what anymore, check this topic, some info should be here I think.

BTW, some emulators still available. PM me for details.
maybe I should have quoted this Post :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's my iteration of this project. For protection, I added a TVS diode and a PPTC fuse. Other than that, I just followed the instructions in this thread. It was a tight fit to install it in my 2015 BMW I3. After coding, TJA works! ...I'll just mention that the TJA doesn't work as well as I had hoped. If you use it exactly as intended (on the interstate under 35 mph), it will probably work okay, but don't expect it to follow the car in front of you in town going 50 mph. Maybe there are more coding parameters that I can tweak to make it work better.

Cable Eyewear Wire Electric blue Electrical supply

Circuit component Wood Electrical wiring Electrical supply Electronic component

Circuit component Wood Electronic instrument Electronic component Audio equipment

Circuit component Hardware programmer Font Electronic instrument Electronic component

·
Registered
902 Posts
Here's my iteration of this project. For protection, I added a TVS diode and a PPTC fuse. Other than that, I just followed the instructions in this thread. It was a tight fit to install it in my 2015 BMW I3. After coding, TJA works! ...I'll just mention that the TJA doesn't work as well as I had hoped. If you use it exactly as intended (on the interstate under 35 mph), it will probably work okay, but don't expect it to follow the car in front of you in town going 50 mph. Maybe there are more coding parameters that I can tweak to make it work better.

View attachment 1045803
View attachment 1045800
View attachment 1045802
View attachment 1045801
It’s designed for traffic jams mate, slow moving crawling traffic not 50mph in town. It’s using the KAFAS2 to detect the road markings, it’s never going to be perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
530Li F18 01/2012
2 Posts
Hi guys!
It seems there is a right place where i can describe my problem. And I hope somebody can helps me.
So the issue is:
preLCI F18 01/2012 (actually the same F10 but Long) with retrofitted LCI modules - NBT, DSC2, Kafas2, ICM v5.4, FRM, 6WB cluster, SZL, Steering Wheel with OEM HOD. All the ECUs was bought new and flashed and coded with Esys 3.36. The car now only looks a preLCI but it has now ECUs and SW from LCI.
Already retrofitted and coded these VO:
5AT (5AD, 5DF included).
LDW, FCW, Nivi3 and all of what you just can imagine on this model 😀. All the options work great and properly. No error message or malfunctions. All the FSCs 7E, BE, BF has status “accepted”.
Yesterday I changed my old Steering Wheel to absolutely new one with HOD and VO coded 5AR to whole car with Zeitkriterium 07/2015, checked that some ECUs needed to be flashed and performed it. Also I did these FDL coding:
FRM: PERSONEN_WARNUNG_STA --> aktiv
ACSM: Zentralsensor_Rollover_y-z_low_g --> aktiv
ICM: C_Stauerkennung_on --> on
ICM: C_Stauassistent_Vorhanden --> aktiv
ICM: C_STA_EINSCHRAENKUNG --> KEINE EINSCHRAENKUNG
ICM: C_QalcRel_v_Tacho_aktiv_kmh --> Werte=63
KAFAS: Road_edge_warning_enabled --> DETECTION_FOR_GRASS_EDGE_AND_CURB_STONE

And… nothing is working. 🤪
No errors, everything is fine, now I can see symbol of steering wheel on 6WB, I can feel the steering wheel is controlled by EPS (it becomes a little tightly when I try to turn it). But the car drives only directly straight ahead and doesn’t even try to hold the line and to repeats maneuvers of targeted vehicle a front of mine.
When the car comes closer to lateral line, doesn’t matter right or left from the car, the symbol on the cluster flashes several times and short beep sounds. At this time there are no errors on CID and no stored events found when I connected ISTA.

I have no idea what I could forget to do. Please share your views on this topic.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi guys!
It seems there is a right place where i can describe my problem. And I hope somebody can helps me.
So the issue is:
preLCI F18 01/2012 (actually the same F10 but Long) with retrofitted LCI modules - NBT, DSC2, Kafas2, ICM v5.4, FRM, 6WB cluster, SZL, Steering Wheel with OEM HOD. All the ECUs was bought new and flashed and coded with Esys 3.36. The car now only looks a preLCI but it has now ECUs and SW from LCI.
Already retrofitted and coded these VO:
5AT (5AD, 5DF included).
LDW, FCW, Nivi3 and all of what you just can imagine on this model . All the options work great and properly. No error message or malfunctions. All the FSCs 7E, BE, BF has status “accepted”.
Yesterday I changed my old Steering Wheel to absolutely new one with HOD and VO coded 5AR to whole car with Zeitkriterium 07/2015, checked that some ECUs needed to be flashed and performed it. Also I did these FDL coding:
FRM: PERSONEN_WARNUNG_STA --> aktiv
ACSM: Zentralsensor_Rollover_y-z_low_g --> aktiv
ICM: C_Stauerkennung_on --> on
ICM: C_Stauassistent_Vorhanden --> aktiv
ICM: C_STA_EINSCHRAENKUNG --> KEINE EINSCHRAENKUNG
ICM: C_QalcRel_v_Tacho_aktiv_kmh --> Werte=63
KAFAS: Road_edge_warning_enabled --> DETECTION_FOR_GRASS_EDGE_AND_CURB_STONE

And… nothing is working.
No errors, everything is fine, now I can see symbol of steering wheel on 6WB, I can feel the steering wheel is controlled by EPS (it becomes a little tightly when I try to turn it). But the car drives only directly straight ahead and doesn’t even try to hold the line and to repeats maneuvers of targeted vehicle a front of mine.
When the car comes closer to lateral line, doesn’t matter right or left from the car, the symbol on the cluster flashes several times and short beep sounds. At this time there are no errors on CID and no stored events found when I connected ISTA.

I have no idea what I could forget to do. Please share your views on this topic.
Thanks in advance.
Hello,

do you have electronic steering? I think in pre-LCI there was only hydraulic and that cannot be used for TJA.

JJ

241 - 260 of 263 Posts