BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DIY:
How to remove & replace a BMW hood ornament
(aka badge, decal, emblem, logo, decal, marquee, roundel, ornament, etc.)

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
I did mine a few weeks ago and it was extremely difficult to get off. I found another video on the internet that showed a guy using a pry tool with a cloth underneath it to protect the hood. The fit on my emblem was simply too tight to easily get anything under it. I ended up with several deep scratches around the emblem by using a small pry tool. The cloth I used under the tool to protect the hood really didn't help much.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Wish I saw these before doing this to my ride. I used the credit card method and it's nowhere near as simple or effective...works too though.

·
25,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dental floss.
Interestingly, I searched for "dental floss" in Bimmerfest and looked at over 20 threads that had photos attached, and none of them had a photo of the hair dryer and dental floss method in operation.

I'm sure there is a picture of the DIY out there somewhere ... so if anyone knows of it, post a reference here for others to benefit.

·
WTB - your E39 M5
6,216 Posts
Interestingly, I searched for "dental floss" in Bimmerfest and looked at over 20 threads that had photos attached, and none of them had a photo of the hair dryer and dental floss method in operation.

I'm sure there is a picture of the DIY out there somewhere ... so if anyone knows of it, post a reference here for others to benefit.
:eek: That's to remove the numbers on the rear, AKA the badge.
Unless someone on here says "BMW badge" you can pretty much guess they are talking about the numbers on the rear.

·
Registered
633 Posts
yeah, wish i tried this way...i also used a credit card.used the card to slide under the roundel and then slid a screw driver in using the credit card to protect the hood.was really hard to take off.i thought it was bolted on or something.then it just popped off and i almost dug the screw driver into the hood.

·
25,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
25,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you guys have a suction cup mount for a GPS or cell phone holder that works great and eliminates any change of scratching the paint with a credit card or screw driver.

Mount the suction cup to the emblem and simply pull off. Faster, easier and safer vs credit card.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Boostted, wouldn't have worked for me.

Guessing the previous owner had the same issue at least once. The roundel got pried off, but the old base was still on because it was COVERED with double stick foam tape and VHB***8230; had to tape down my hood and use two plastic putty knives to pry it off. Ridiculous, but its done!

·
25,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.