BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1100 miles, time for a oil change.
Parts
* Fully Synthetic Oil 7 Quarts BMW High Performance Full Synthetic 5W30* (BMW P/N: 07 51 0 017 866), Mobil 1 0W40, or Castrol Syntec European Formula 0W30.
* Oil Filter (BMW P/N: 11 42 7 566 327) - Comes with 2 o-ring washers (1 big black, 1 small green), and 1 copper crush washer.
* Oil Filter Wrench, there are several on the market. I used my hand but this might be too hard for you paper pushers.
* Floor Jack (I used 2) with jack stands
* Oil Drain Pan.
* 17 mm socket (1/2" drive wrench).
* Torque Wrench
* Rags / paper towels.
* Disposable rubber gloves.
* Funnel.
* Needle nose pliers.
* Goggles.
* Beer for after.

Make sure oil is at operating temp before doing this.
1. On a level surface, engage parking brake and chock rear wheels
2. Lift front of car, I used two floor jacks with plastic pads to keep from damaging plastic jack points on the F10.
3. Use jacks stands in case floor jacks malfunction (this is VERY IMPORTANT) Never get under a car without proper safety backup.
4. Remove small bolt that holds trap door in place, remove trap door.
5. Using 17mm socket and wrench loosen drain plug. (Bolt faces down, so no mess with angle draining)
6. Lower car back down to ensure even oil draining. This will take a while, I made a sandwich during the time.
7. Remove oil filter, I did it by hand but if your kung fu grip isn't strong enough buy the filter wrench. With needle nose pliers remove green gasket and large black gasket on oil filter housing. Pull oil filter out. Install new filter, the writing was facing out or down. Put new gaskets on the filter housing. I soaked the new filter in a little oil and rubbed some oil on the new gaskets. I sucked out all the residual oil in the filter seat with a turkey baster. Screw filter back into the base. Match the green alignment marks (thanks for that Dingolfing!)
8. Jack Car back up, place jacks stands in position again, make sure the rear chocks haven't moved around. Put copper crush washer onto new bolt, put a little oil on the threads of the bolt, and tighten bolt back by hand at first then use the 17mm socket and torque the bolt back to 25nm or about 20lbs/ft, don't over tighten.
9. Put trap door back in place (or leave open to check for leaks later, I skipped this as I am confident in my DIY skills, if you're not, triple check everything).
10. Place car back on level ground, and fill with 7 qts of oil. I list the 3 grades and brands above because they are the most common in N. America and can be found easily, don't send me PM's about how great Amsoil or Redline is, most people don't want to deal with the hassle of getting that stuff.
11. Drive car around until oil level appears on IDrive (this took forever, and pissed me off. My kingdom for a dipstick!!!)
12. Bask in your glory by consuming beer or adult beverage of choice.

Castrol Syntec European Formula 0W30
BMW-5-Series-F10-DIY-Oil-Change_1.jpg

chock rear wheels
BMW-5-Series-F10-DIY-Oil-Change_2.jpg

I used two floor jacks with plastic pads to keep from damaging plastic jack points on the F103.
BMW-5-Series-F10-DIY-Oil-Change_4.jpg

Use jacks stands in case floor jacks malfunction (this is VERY IMPORTANT) Never get under a car without proper safety backup.
BMW-5-Series-F10-DIY-Oil-Change_5.jpg

Remove small bolt that holds trap door in place, remove trap door.
BMW-5-Series-F10-DIY-Oil-Change_6.jpg

5. Using 17mm socket and wrench loosen drain plug. (Bolt faces down, so no mess with angle draining)
BMW-5-Series-F10-DIY-Oil-Change_7.jpg

BMW-5-Series-F10-DIY-Oil-Change_8.jpg

BMW-5-Series-F10-DIY-Oil-Change_9.jpg

I sucked out all the residual oil in the filter seat with a turkey baster.
BMW-5-Series-F10-DIY-Oil-Change_10.jpg

BMW-5-Series-F10-DIY-Oil-Change_11.jpg

Match the green alignment marks (thanks for that Dingolfing!)
BMW-5-Series-F10-DIY-Oil-Change_12.jpg

BMW-5-Series-F10-DIY-Oil-Change_13.jpg

Early and often for the first year. I own this car, it's not rented.:
Planned schedule:
Total Vehicle Mileage
1. 1,200 Miles (Owner)
2. 7,500 miles (Owner)
3. 15,000 miles (Dealer)
4. 22,500 miles (Owner)
5. 30,000 miles (Dealer)

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,268 Posts
Very, very nice write-up!:thumbup:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Wow, this was such a good write up it makes me want to change my oil right now!

I want to have my oil changed after 2000 miles then I was going to follow maintenace schedule but I do plan on keeping my car for at least 10 years. I always wonder if I should change it sooner than BMW guidelines. I have a MB S430 that has had the oil service about every 12000 and it has never used an oil after 93,000. I am getting my first BMW next month and from what I have read it seems they use more oil than other cars. I wonder if that is how they are driven or the long oil changes!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, this was such a good write up it makes me want to change my oil right now!
I want to have my oil changed after 2000 miles then I was going to follow maintenace schedule but I do plan on keeping my car for at least 10 years. I always wonder if I should change it sooner than BMW guidelines. I have a MB S430 that has had the oil service about every 12000 and it has never used an oil after 93,000. I am getting my first BMW next month and from what I have read it seems they use more oil than other cars. I wonder if that is how they are driven or the long oil changes!
If I was leasing this car I wouldn't be doing this, but I bought this car. The oil and filter cost be $50. The car stickered for 70k. It's cheap insurance. Say in the long run it doesn't really matter either way. OK, I'll buy that argument, but:
* it's cheap insurance and it can't hurt and gives me peace of mind.
*You can control every aspect of parts being used and you know it's being done correctly.
* It's something to do on a Sunday afternoon: "Relax all right. My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it."

·
Registered
369 Posts
hey where did you find that Euro formula oil?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Jack stands

Great post.

I'm on same oil change schedule (1/2 me and 1/2 BMW) and use ramps to get the car up.

My question is about jack stands: how can one transfer weight from a floor jack to a jack stand? I only have one floor jack. From your photo's it seems like the jack stands are underneath the rocker panel, in case the car falls, but not bearing any weight.

Mark

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Great post.

I'm on same oil change schedule (1/2 me and 1/2 BMW) and use ramps to get the car up.

My question is about jack stands: how can one transfer weight from a floor jack to a jack stand? I only have one floor jack. From your photo's it seems like the jack stands are underneath the rocker panel, in case the car falls, but not bearing any weight.

Mark
The third picture is misleading, I took it off. This first picture is more accurate. The second picture is from underneath, (sorry for the rotated pic, can't seem to fix it)
Technically you should transfer the weight of the car to the jack stands, but I left the two floor jacks hold the weight of the car, then placed floor jacks pressed underneath the rocker panels. I also had a third jackstand under the car at what I believe to be a jack point but wasn't sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
837 Posts
Great write up

I am going to go buy a turkey baster for my next oil filter change to get the residual oil out of the bottom. Great idea!

I always loosen the oil filter and oil filler cap before I remove the drain plug for a reason I forget.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am going to go buy a turkey baster for my next oil filter change to get the residual oil out of the bottom. Great idea!

I always loosen the oil filter and oil filler cap before I remove the drain plug for a reason I forget.
I think I read some where of someone getting sprayed with oil by removing the filter housing cap before removing the oil. I think removing the oil filler cap is fine, but I would remove the oil filter housing cap last just in case there is some built up pressure.
I'm pretty sure no one at the dealership is going to remove that last bit of oil in the housing. I'm also prety sure they wouldn't bother pre-soaking the new filter with 1/2 quart of fresh oil either. Just a hunch.

·
tappa tappa toit
4,727 Posts
That's great but don't you have the maintenance plan included?
Also it's easier to change the oil from the top using a mityvac on BMWs because the filter is on top too.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
124 Posts
I personally wouldn't change the oil myself, but at the same time wouldn't criticize anyone who chooses to do so, to each their own.

My feeling is that the way new engines are designed, it is not necessary, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

However, I do spend time in the winter working ona restoration project on my 1986 Sea Ray sundacer 310 when its out of the water.

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
Sweet. Glad to see that you can still DIY this stuff! Often all I hear is how the dealer is the only one who can tell the computer to do X!

Just did a change on my friend's M62 ; mobil 1 0w40. After only 7500km it was not as thin at cold temperatures as it should be. I definitely don't trust ANY oil for as long as BMW says it does, as posted above it's $50 into a 70k car. My 2¢ from the used car peanut gallery.

·
Registered
73 Posts

The reason is to prevent a vacum and allow air in which will allow the oil to drain (flow properly).

Like when you plug the end of your straw with soda in it...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.