BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 325i.. I'm fairly new to it as I've said in my last couple threads, but I'm curious about what I might need/how I might go about changing the oil myself so I don't have to go pay a ton at the BMW maintenance places.

Thanks!

·
Cogito Ergo Zoom
3,579 Posts
Read the Wiki. Know the Wiki. Live the Wiki.

Seriously, read the E46 wiki linked at the top of the page. So many of your questions will be answered there. Then, before posting, use the SEARCH function to see if your question has been asked before. (It usually has) then start a thread with a better bit of knowledge and direction about your problem.

And welcome to the feat.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts

Seriously, read the E46 wiki linked at the top of the page. So many of your questions will be answered there. Then, before posting, use the SEARCH function to see if your question has been asked before. (It usually has) then start a thread with a better bit of knowledge and direction about your problem.

And welcome to the fest.
^^This. and fixed :thumbup:

And if you really want to be a badass changing your own oil, get a vac pump to pump it out from the dipstick tube.

·
Living Life At The Beach
3,809 Posts
Check your local dealers website for specials. I get my oil changed there for $79.99 + tax, and that is only a few dollars more than I can do it for myself. Plus I don't have to waste time putting it on ramps, get rid of the oil, and take a heavy duty shower when I get done.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts

And welcome to the feat.
@Jonathan......It's pretty simple; You can buy your oil at WalMart depending on what you want to use. Mobil 1 is a good choice IMO; the have 0W40 which is the grade recommended; see this link for that http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/SyntheticEngineOils.aspx

Others have used 5W30; I personally use their 10W40 high mileage; you can buy filters locally of get some good prices at BMA or AutohausAZ

Jack up drivers side to get access to under engine; remove any plastic shield; have a oil pan collector; remove drain bolt on left side of engine oil pan; remove filter top side & let the oil drain into the pan; drain & re-install drain plug; install new filter with new o-ring that comes with the filter kit. Fill with correct amount of oil, start car & check for any leaks. This is the simple version. there's sites out there that will show better.
Here's a
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Check your local dealers website for specials. I get my oil changed there for $79.99 + tax, and that is only a few dollars more than I can do it for myself. Plus I don't have to waste time putting it on ramps, get rid of the oil, and take a heavy duty shower when I get done.
To each his own. :dunno:

I can get M1 or German Castrol for about $5 a quart at WM or AZ and Mann or Hengst filters online for about $5 each, so I'm looking at about $40 plus tax for an oil change. Takes me about 15 mins with extractor pump so I don't have to get under the car. I just drink a beer in lieu of the HD shower. Saving the oil in 5 qt jugs for a few changes and drop it off at parts store to recycle once every 18 months while running an errand. That way I don't have to waste time dicking around with a dealer on the other side of town that wants to sell me two grand worth of work I don't really need. :p

·
Registered
1,292 Posts

I can get M1 or German Castrol for about $5 a quart at WM or AZ and Mann or Hengst filters online for about $5 each, so I'm looking at about $40 plus tax for an oil change. Takes me about 15 mins with extractor pump so I don't have to get under the car. I just drink a beer in lieu of the HD shower. Saving the oil in 5 qt jugs for a few changes and drop it off at parts store to recycle once every 18 months while running an errand. That way I don't have to waste time dicking around with a dealer on the other side of town that wants to sell me two grand worth of work I don't really need. :p
This exactly. Topside extractor, Wally World M1 oil, online Hengst filters and periodic oil drop-off at the auto store.

Oil changes are a very pleasant activity at my house. Daddy's play time.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts

·
Function over fashion
887 Posts

I can get M1 or German Castrol for about $5 a quart at WM or AZ and Mann or Hengst filters online for about $5 each, so I'm looking at about $40 plus tax for an oil change. Takes me about 15 mins with extractor pump so I don't have to get under the car. I just drink a beer in lieu of the HD shower.
I second that. I get oil on sale by the case so I have a little stockpile, I know I'll always need it. The average oil change is under $40 this way, with the filter. I like to take the time to poke around in the engine bay and check things out, inspect belts, clean any area where there might be a leak, wipe everything down, top off washer fluid, that type of stuff. I do get under the car to drain at the plug but it's still only a 30 minute task, "wheels up to wheels down." Well worth the time if you can manage to find it, and it saves $ not just in the oil changes, but in the ability to notice other things that might need attention before they have a real problem.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I also have new filter and oil waiting long before oil change. There can be good offers once in a while, and that's when should buy. I try to be flexible with those brands, won't get cheapest crap, but there can be more than one good choice.

·
Living Life At The Beach
3,809 Posts

I agree. I used to change the oil myself on all 3 of my cars, but it became kind of a PITA to save a few bucks. I know the service advisor at the local dealer, so I don't get hit with the BS charges, the hard sell, and they go over the car as well. I can do that myself, but I don't have a lift, so I would have to put it on stands. I wasn't aware that Wally's now sells GC, so thanks for that tip.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
I agree. I used to change the oil myself on all 3 of my cars, but it became kind of a PITA to save a few bucks. I know the service advisor at the local dealer, so I don't get hit with the BS charges, the hard sell, and they go over the car as well. I can do that myself, but I don't have a lift, so I would have to put it on stands. I wasn't aware that Wally's now sells GC, so thanks for that tip.
M1 in 5 qt jug at Wallys now finally. GC at AZ whenever it's on the oil change special about every 6 mos or so. Usually you have to buy 5 or 6 qts and a filter too so I get one for one of my other vehicles since they don't carry the inserts at AZ

·
Living Life At The Beach
3,809 Posts
M1 in 5 qt jug at Wallys now finally. GC at AZ whenever it's on the oil change special about every 6 mos or so. Usually you have to buy 5 or 6 qts and a filter too so I get one for one of my other vehicles since they don't carry the inserts at AZ
I am not a big fan of Mobil 1. Not trying to start an oil discussion! but I had a bad experience when it first came out, and will not give it another chance. Here is what La Jolla BMW has to say about it. Please, no arguments! Just posting what they say for an interesting read.

http://sandiegobmw.wordpress.com/2008/07/11/oil-and-your-bmw-which-is-the-best/

·
Registered
53 Posts
Relevant Question;

Instead of a 36mm socket, could I substitute channel locks, or is there some kind of hidden hocus-pocus with the oil filter housing that'd cause damage?
You are risking damage to your OFHG if you use something besides a 36mm socket. Its only a $5 part, but its a pain to get to!

Find it online, and buy a socket

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

·
Prowlin
198 Posts
Well, I went to a friend's and used his 36mm. Easiest oil-change by far that I've ever done.

The fact that 3.5qts got on his driveway, however.... well, that balanced the labor out, what with the degreasing and scrubbing [and apologizing]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts