BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Bimmerfest'ers

I had a terrible oil leak from the oil cooler gasket and oil was dripping on the belt and oil running on the engine walls making all kinds of nasty smells. I couldn't tell where the oil was coming from initially so if you are having hard time finding a leak, look underneath the oil cooler... I didn't know it was leaking from there until oil started purging from the top and drip over the alternator!!! DANGEROUS!! So I bought all necessary parts and decided to change oil cooler gasket and oil filter housing gasket, belt tensioner (belt was walking off of the tensioner pulley), and the idler or sometimes called harmonic pulley (right next to the alternator).

The whole process took about 3 hours so it's not terrible. The belt and tensioner kit was about $120 I think (comes with the aluminum bolt and the harmonic pulley) and the other gaskets were $30 each or so... Not bad money for an essential repair that will probably last 50-60K miles. Car has 120K miles and I'm not aware if they were replaced before... So I think it did a good good holding up with Florida and Texas heat!

If you have any questions, let me know!

Admins: if you find this thread useless or repeated, feel free to delete.

Happy motoring guys!

https://youtu.be/e0u-lXeoyB0

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Thanks!

·
is a Texan
1,400 Posts
Great idea using the hands free recording! It's nice when someone puts some extra effort into a DIY like this, great job.

You might specify this is for the N62 (?) engine. I just had to do mine on my M54 engine and it's different enough, though the idea and removal of certain parts is a similar process.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you guys! Yeah I love the hands free video recording :) I bought the GoPro just for that really...

This is the N62 (I thought it was N52?) the M54 you mentioned is on 2004 to 2006 E60's... 07 and up received the modified engine which is N62 I guess. I have had both engines before and honestly my E39 was as fast but this engine has a little more kick... It loves to rev and genuinely fun to drive with high RPMs... You don't feel a drop in power early in the rev band like you do in E39 and I think it's mostly due to the vanos redesign and adding the mechatronic unit to it. Drop in power in this engine comes really close to red line which is 7k RPM I think I forgot.

Drive them like you stole them :D

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Thank you guys! Yeah I love the hands free video recording :) I bought the GoPro just for that really...

This is the N62 (I thought it was N52?) the M54 you mentioned is on 2004 to 2006 E60's... 07 and up received the modified engine which is N62 I guess. I have had both engines before and honestly my E39 was as fast but this engine has a little more kick... It loves to rev and genuinely fun to drive with high RPMs... You don't feel a drop in power early in the rev band like you do in E39 and I think it's mostly due to the vanos redesign and adding the mechatronic unit to it. Drop in power in this engine comes really close to red line which is 7k RPM I think I forgot.

Drive them like you stole them :D
The 04-05 I6 is the M54. The 06+ I6 is the N52. The turbo I6 08-10 is the N54. The 8 (any year) is the N62.

·
It's 5 O'clock Somwhere
664 Posts
Doing my gaskets now. 2010 60k miles. It's about as bad as the N62 alternator bracket gasket. For my now N54 the leak tracked down around the cylinder head, side of engine and of course on the belt, idler an alternator. On the '10 535i the intake has to be loosened to get the one bolt out. For me about 3.5 hours disassembly to put in 2 gaskets that ran me 20 bucks.

·
It's 5 O'clock Somwhere
664 Posts
Finished mine up this e e evening. No real special tools needed. So straight forward disassembly and applying new gaskets. The dealer part pricing for the two gaskets is like 38. For one and 22 for the other. I take gasket is 48. You are paying for labor which should be 3 hours from a trained BMW tech. With shop supplies and oil / coolant top off dealer price should be like 600.00 I would think. That's still high. 1900 what are they doing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
3.5 hours for idler pulley $160 parts
7.4 for the oil cooler gasket, the one to the block and intake. $38 $38 and $54 for the gaskets

I think they are trying to double or triple charge me for the labor on the oil gaskets.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I paid $103 for OEM Idler pulley, tensioner and both belts and did the job in 30 minutes and while I was in there replaced both O rings on the Vacuum pump in under 30 minutes. I think it is just a shame they gouge us like this.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
once you remove the oil cooler lines from OFH then the serpentine belt can be removed including tensioner and pulleys in minutes. So that 3.5 hour labor should be part of the 7.5 hour.

The 7.5 hour if I have to do it, dealer tech can do it in less.
As far as the OFH gasket (the one closer to the engine block), the intake needs to be removed though some says you can just loosen one bolt and make sure to catch the screw with magnet.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Finished mine up this e e evening. No real special tools needed. So straight forward disassembly and applying new gaskets. The dealer part pricing for the two gaskets is like 38. For one and 22 for the other. I take gasket is 48. You are paying for labor which should be 3 hours from a trained BMW tech. With shop supplies and oil / coolant top off dealer price should be like 600.00 I would think. That's still high. 1900 what are they doing?
Steeling! Stealing your money! I don't steal....I don't even know how to spell it. But the dealer knows how to spell it,,,,even backwords!!

·
It's 5 O'clock Somwhere
664 Posts
3.5 hours for idler pulley $160 parts
7.4 for the oil cooler gasket, the one to the block and intake. $38 $38 and $54 for the gaskets

I think they are trying to double or triple charge me for the labor on the oil gaskets.
IDK. Maybe put a GPS on your car then track it. Ignition on, then probably like 3 hours later, ignition on again. Pull the data and go to the service manager and have a sit down discussion.;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts