BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
*^^^^^^^^*
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DIY: Power steering lines replacement & complete power steering FLUSH

Hello, everybody. I was replacing my P/S lines yesterday and doing the complete system flush. I took pictures and made this picture guide. The reason for doing this was that some lines were leaking at a couple of spots and the P/S pump started making louder noise than it used to. After everything is completed, I'm enjoying the non-leaking P/S system and silently working pump.

I hope somebody finds this info helpful. All the text is in the pictures. Enjoy!

P.S You know how it works: I'm not responsible if you decide to do the same using my write up and something goes wrong. This is for your information only. I do not reccomend following these instructions if you do not know what you are doing.

·
In my own cars again
1,402 Posts
Nice write-up - great flush method. I love seeing great DIY's for stuff I haven't had to do yet, but will someday.

·
*^^^^^^^^*
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice write-up :thumbup:
Nice write-up - great flush method. I love seeing great DIY's for stuff I haven't had to do yet, but will someday.
Thank you guys! People ask about the PS flush all the time. I figured it'd be a good thing to offer an alternative to the "turkey buster" method.

·
*^^^^^^^^*
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, this is one of the best DIY's I have seen. We should all take notes, THIS is how to do a DIY!
u rock starless!!!
excellent write-up, pics & editing
i vote for wiki
Thank you, guys! Appreciate your comments. The write-up took like 2 times longer than the job itself :)

·
Running around in circles
3,638 Posts
Excellent job :thumbup:
Yes, this should be in the Wiki :)

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Thank you, guys! Appreciate your comments. The write-up took like 2 times longer than the job itself :)
Yep, the actual repair or maintenance work never takes as long as developing a well written DIY guide. Nice job, with excellent pictures and descriptions! :thumbup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
bolts reuse?

wow, this is an excellent write-up. i looked in uncle bentley's book yesterday, and it doesnt even cover the hoses, just a basic 'the pump is here'. this is outstanding....

anyway, were you able to reuse the hollow (banjo) bolts connecting the lines at the rack?

thanks,
--roger

·
Registered
187 Posts
Great work! For comparison I just paid a shop $323 for the same job, $178.50 for 2.1 hrs work and $122 for parts and rest tax. Would have done a DIY job with this thread, but am out of town and the P/S leak that I already knew about got too serious.

·
*^^^^^^^^*
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thread revival :)

wow, this is an excellent write-up. i looked in uncle bentley's book yesterday, and it doesnt even cover the hoses, just a basic 'the pump is here'. this is outstanding....

anyway, were you able to reuse the hollow (banjo) bolts connecting the lines at the rack?

thanks,
--roger
Roger, the hollow bolts are 100% reusable, but the washers are not!

Great job. Bookmarked.
Thanks for taking the time for creating a very robust DIY. I will be using this in the future!
Great work! For comparison I just paid a shop $323 for the same job, $178.50 for 2.1 hrs work and $122 for parts and rest tax. Would have done a DIY job with this thread, but am out of town and the P/S leak that I already knew about got too serious.
Thank you! Appreciate your comments!

love the colorful pics...question - how does that special tool for the quick connect fittings on the hoses work?

Is there another tool that can be used to disconnect the fitting?
le mans, The tool works like a charm, it just slides into the fitting when you push on it a little bit from above and it compresses the fitting for disconnect.

I have not tried myself, but I read accounts of people being able to use 2 pair of pliers to accomplish this. But it takes way more time to disconnect the line than you want to spend on it. They say it's a big PITA to use channel locks to do it. But I'm sure it's possible. I was hesitant to buy the tool at first, but in the end I figured that time is money and if I get stuck with this problem it's not going to be worth my time.

I can rent you the tool if you want to.

·
a man made of men like me
839 Posts
starless you have set a new standard for DIY's, great job. your DIY's are always very well thought out, clear and concise in a true repeatable scientific format. +10 for wiki

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.